Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Except the best part of the game will be the gameplay. That was true in DOS, and even with the rule changes for BG3; it'll be true here. I don't expect a great story, just a passable one like DOS series.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Alodar
I really wanted to see a Core Rules difficulty setting. With stuff like...

- Scrolls restricted to spellcasting classes
- Prepared casters actually having to make choices memorizing instead of just changing their spells at-will and effectively having everything available at all times
- Actual restrictions or consequences for spamming Long Rest
- Multiclassing stat requirements enforced
- No potion throwing
etc...

Only give your scrolls to spell-casters.
Don't swap out prepared spells on the fly.
Don't spam Long Rests.
Put 13s in multi-class stats.
Don't throw potions.

All of these things are things that you do.

If following D&D rules is important to you, then why don't you abide by them?
I will always challenge myself to play the best I can within the rules set by the game and therefore will never impose arbitrary restrictions on myself.

I will, however, point out on a forum how a change from source material makes a game worse.

Why do you think Ironman modes exist in games? By your logic players can just delete their saves themselves if they die.

It also means that you have to remember a thousand little things at all time, which you can not do for this or that reason, instead of the game taking that annoyance from you, and just preventing you from doing it.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Volourn
Why play a dnd game if you hate dnd and want all the rules changed? Games have rules for a reason. Imagine someine changing the rules of chess and then chess players being told its okay the rules dont matter.
Have you ever heard about Chess960, by any chance? It is chess except with slightly different rules. It isn't a replacement for classical chess (or rapid, blitz, bullet, or armageddon) but it is still chess-like enough to be enjoyable for chess players.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Alodar

Only give your scrolls to spell-casters.
Don't swap out prepared spells on the fly.
Don't spam Long Rests.
Put 13s in multi-class stats.
Don't throw potions.

All of these things are things that you do.

If following D&D rules is important to you, then why don't you abide by them?

I pretty much agree with what Alodar says, the only exception might be throwing potions since NPCs also do it, so if you avoid using that mechanic you're putting yourself at a slight disadvantage. I personally really like this mechanic, if NPCs didn't use it and I did, I'd feel like I was cheating a bit and would probably stop, but since they do it's fair game.

Why do you think Ironman modes exist in games? By your logic players can just delete their saves themselves if they die.

His logic seems perfectly sound here, and I'm almost certain the origin of ironman mode literally comes from community challenges in which players used self-imposed restrictions and manually deleted their saves when they failed. I know there are at least a couple streamers that do these challenge runs in BG1 and 2, and those games don't have an actual ironman mode.

Originally Posted by Qoray
It also means that you have to remember a thousand little things at all time, which you can not do for this or that reason, instead of the game taking that annoyance from you, and just preventing you from doing it.
If the things we're talking about are meaningful enough they surely aren't that easily forgotten.

If you want to compare having the burden of simply stoping yourself from doing things you don't want to do, with outright removing options that some people might enjoy, the former is clearly the lesser evil. In cases like this, some of you people should just work on your own willpower instead of demanding the world to limit our options just so they align with how you personally like to play.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KLSLS
If the things we're talking about are meaningful enough they surely aren't that easily forgotten.

If you want to compare having the burden of simply stoping yourself from doing things you don't want to do, with outright removing options that some people might enjoy, the former is clearly the lesser evil. In cases like this, some of you people should just work on your own willpower instead of demanding the world to limit our options just so they align with how you personally like to play.

No one talked about removing anything. We are talking about a separate game mode or having entirely optional toggles that would enable us to get closer to 5E core rules.

Certainly you have the willpower not to toggle those optional features on or not to play on such a gamemode?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
The 'just don't use it!' suggestion is trotted out every time anyone objects to the game having strayed too far from the current core 5e rules.

The player not using a feature is only half the issue - the other half is that the game system will have no such constraints and will use all these abusive tactics or OP stats etc against the player, like BA shove, potion lobbing etc. You cannot do a thing about that (*). It would have been simpler to have a core rules button (as BG1 and 2 did, as well as other D&D games) and have this as an option for those who care. It seems weird this was never even discussed, despite ample evidence of discontent about such deviations the EA forums. Yes, some compromises were made (adv -> +2 for height, some spells being 'nerfed') - but a core setting would encompass all that. OR simply say at the outset that BG3 'uses a ruleset inspired by D&D 5e' and leave it at that.

(*)I am not convinced that mods can simply fix everything - at the very least, they may ruin the challenge in encounters if those encounters have been designed with specific game-y tactics in mind. I doubt Larian have been play-testing with. say, an action economy rebalance mod - so now you may have an inferior gaming experience simply because you want something that is more rules compliant. I dunno - I find that rather a bad alternative.

Last edited by booboo; 16/07/23 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
stranger
stranger
"Please Larian, it's a D&D game not a DoS game."

It's both, a soup, a mix, an amalgamation.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kendaric

No one talked about removing anything. We are talking about a separate game mode or having entirely optional toggles that would enable us to get closer to 5E core rules.

In that case I'd agree with you, I should have made it clear in my previous post: my opinion is that if you could only have one or the other, the self-restraint option is the lesser evil, but if we could choose either ruling, there wouldn't be the need to settle for the lesser evil since both parties could be satisfied. But to be honest, I'm not too hopeful about this happening.

Certainly you have the willpower not to toggle those optional features on or not to play on such a gamemode?

Of course I do, otherwise I'd be a hypocrite.

Originally Posted by booboo
The player not using a feature is only half the issue - the other half is that the game system will have no such constraints and will use all these abusive tactics or OP stats etc against the player, like BA shove, potion lobbing etc. You cannot do a thing about that (*).

(*)I am not convinced that mods can simply fix everything - at the very least, they may ruin the challenge in encounters if those encounters have been designed with specific game-y tactics in mind. I doubt Larian have been play-testing with. say, an action economy rebalance mod - so now you may have an inferior gaming experience simply because you want something that is more rules compliant. I dunno - I find that rather a bad alternative.

At some point you have to consider that Larian are making the game they want to make, they have their own vision which clearly differs from the core rules in a few aspects, since these changes are not accidents but deliberate tweaks. What you seem to suggest here is that they make the game they want to make, and then readjust a significant part of it to fit a ruleset they decided not to follow. If they end up doing that, adding a core mode and rebalancing the encounters, props to them, but I don't think that's very likely to happen.

On another note, if core rules are at some point properly introduced through mods, I'm sure a rebalancing of the encounters and other aspects would follow naturally.

addict
addict
Solasta D&Does what BG3 D&Don't.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome

Well... if that's true for many mechanical aspect, BG3 does a far better job on many points.

Don't get me wrong I'd really like Larian to go for more RAW on many points... but I guess we should remain honnest.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
While I do like both Solasta and BG3, there is one very critical area Solasta is lacking in.

It is not a role playing game. It's a narrative strategy game.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
veteran
veteran
It would be interesting comparsion if both games would get same budget, team size and support from WotC tho!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 17/07/23 07:10 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome

While that is true, Solasta isn't set in the Forgotten Realms unfortunately. As much as I like Solasta from a mechanics point of view, I'm not a fan of their setting.

That's why I'm eagerly waiting for a 5E core rules mod (provided Larian doesn't give us options to undo some of their recent decisions).

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
My years DMing D&D and WFRP taught me that sometimes, it's best to ignore the rules or make your own if that's going to result in your group enjoying your game more and creating their own, unique narrative.

Originally Posted by Mungrul
My years DMing D&D and WFRP taught me that sometimes, it's best to ignore the rules or make your own if that's going to result in your group enjoying your game more and creating their own, unique narrative.

I can't agree more. Half of the rules I see requested in this thread are rules that I don't apply myself when I DM.

Every option is a good option, so I would welcome a 5e RAW toggle with open arms just to ignore it and keep playing with Larian's homebrew that makes the game way more similar to the level of chaos and improvisation I have on my table.

... because it's fun!
B
B
I honestly think that Larian improved upon D&D 5th Edition.
I heavily dislike Tasha's freely allocated stats and a few other things but all in all this game is fantastic.

enthusiast
enthusiast

My take on this is not that the request is unreasonable per-se; but that the game Larian makes is up to Larian. The game people want to make it into is up to modders. Telling a game studio that the game they are making is DnD and not their previous successful IP makes zero sense to me. It's like going into someone's Twitch stream and complaining you don't like the games they play...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
My take on this is not that the request is unreasonable per-se; but that the game Larian makes is up to Larian. The game people want to make it into is up to modders. Telling a game studio that the game they are making is DnD and not their previous successful IP makes zero sense to me. It's like going into someone's Twitch stream and complaining you don't like the games they play...

You'd have a point if the game wouldn't originally have been advertised as a "game set in the Forgotten Realms using the D&D 5E ruleset". A lot of people, myself included, bought the EA specifically for that reason.
Yes, I'm well aware that deviation from the RAW are necessary to adapt them to the new medium and I even agree with some of the changes. But a lot of changes were simply unnecessary or even in many cases bad.

Not to mention that the sneaky way of changing racial ASI work was most definitely not well done after 3 years.

enthusiast
enthusiast
IMO, so far it’s been the most D&D game I’ve played. Because they’ve tried to give you as many options to approach every situation as possible. D&D is the granddaddy of tabletop RPGs and Larian has tried to get as close as they can to that level of freedom, even if it’s impossible to fully replicate it.

Personally I don’t really care about strict adherence to the rules. To me, the actual rules were never what made D&D special in the first place.

That doesn’t mean every divergence from the rules is necessarily good, but they don’t bother me just for being tweaked.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dagless
That doesn’t mean every divergence from the rules is necessarily good, but they don’t bother me just for being tweaked.

Well, a lot of the discussions going around this forum are specifically about the fact that these changes often simply aren't good, though.
Adherence to the source material may be of secondary importance in a vacuum, but it's hard to point at it when "sticking to the textbook" implicitly solves problems that Larian introduced into the system.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard