Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sai the Elf #866081 19/07/23 09:22 PM
S
S
For my first character in BG3 I will avoid dumping anything (each stats will be at least 10). For a drow sorcerer I will go max on Dex and Charisma, and a bit of Con. In early access that allowed my sorcerer to be quite useful in one of the Grimforge fights where magic was not very useful, btw.

I don't like playing really skinny/ physically weak characters so I avoid dumping strength (a matter of taste, I guess). If I absolutely need to dump something, it is usually wisdom. I like roleplaying, so personally I dislike playing low Intelligence characters.

I might try a high strength, high char dragonborn bard of the school of valor build one day.

P.S. And I know you can allocate your ability scores in all kind of ways but for now I plan to stick to the older ability point distribution. It also gives me some feeling for a typical member of the race.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 19/07/23 09:28 PM.
Sai the Elf #866082 19/07/23 09:27 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe I should really try to play anything else than a caster for once. Somehow, I always end up with low strength/low constitution and high charisma or high intelligence characters.

My favourite is still the low str/low con sorcerer, who relies entirely on her charisma and some magic. I gave her mostly utility spells, but it still works. I am surprised how many encounters you can avoid simply by talking.

But since we've got multiclassing now, I could think of a caster with higher strength: I could multiclass my next bard with barbarian, and she'd fly into a rage whenever someone criticizes her musical prowess 😄

Lyelle #866120 19/07/23 11:15 PM
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Lyelle
Maybe I should really try to play anything else than a caster for once. Somehow, I always end up with low strength/low constitution and high charisma or high intelligence characters.

My favourite is still the low str/low con sorcerer, who relies entirely on her charisma and some magic. I gave her mostly utility spells, but it still works. I am surprised how many encounters you can avoid simply by talking.

But since we've got multiclassing now, I could think of a caster with higher strength: I could multiclass my next bard with barbarian, and she'd fly into a rage whenever someone criticizes her musical prowess 😄
Ah yes... The classic Bardbarian combo.

Sai the Elf #866133 20/07/23 12:14 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf
Ah yes... The classic Bardbarian combo.

Now all I need is a very sturdy lyre grin

Sai the Elf #866140 20/07/23 12:31 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I don't play DnD and joined EA a few few weeks ago. The one thing I have found weird...running around with an intelligence of 8...am I playing a blithering idiot? How not smart am I actually? Am I mentally handicapped? Feels weird to be really dumb going on such an important adventure.

Also while I understand they signify different things, in a reality there is some level of interconnectivity between them. It feels almost impossible to have a person with CHA 18 WIS 16 INT 8. I am not sure if someone that dumb could be that wise and that charismatic.

Last edited by Sidra; 20/07/23 12:41 AM.
Sai the Elf #866143 20/07/23 12:36 AM
addict
addict
" What does a 7 intelligence mean?
If 10 is considered average, that would make it about 100 IQ. So a 7 would be 70. Functional, but highly suggestive. He might be overly trusting and easily fooled. He might also be reluctant to change, or stubborn in his assumptions"

Somewhere in all my books it gives a break down, down to about a 3, of what a huminoid would be able to do or not do with a said intel score, as well as the other stats, looking NOW.

Last edited by Doomlord; 20/07/23 12:39 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Sidra #866149 20/07/23 12:49 AM
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Sidra
I don't play DnD and joined EA a few few weeks ago. The one thing I have found weird...running around with an intelligence of 8...am I playing a blithering idiot? How not smart am I actually? Am I mentally handicapped? Feels weird to be really dumb going on such an important adventure.

Also while I understand they signify different things, in a reality there is some level of interconnectivity between them. It feels almost impossible to have a person with CHA 18 WIS 16 INT 8. I am not sure of someone that dumb could be that wise and that charismatic.
Think of it like this Intelligence is Book Smarts and Wisdom is Street Smarts,

a Low Intelligence but High Wisdom person would be like Forrest Gump,

While the complete opposite aka High Intelligence and Low Wisdom would be an insufferable know-it-all... someone like Brainy Smurf or Sheldon Cooper.

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 20/07/23 12:55 AM.
Sai the Elf #866166 20/07/23 01:28 AM
veteran
veteran
OP here personally I dump Intelligence, since only 2 classes uses it as their main stat and one of those 2 classes aren't even in BG3.
Not sure what you mean, the wizard class is in BG3 and it does use intelligence as primary stat. But I think the stat that isn't a primary for any class is constitution...it will often be a secondary stat for strength based classes but if you play as a caster or ranged character you don't need constitution. Over the course of the game 12 hp more or less won't make a huge difference. I probably won't put it all the way down to 8 but usually leave it at 10. It's one of those stats that is just kind of there as I almost never play tank characters.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 20/07/23 01:31 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
OP here personally I dump Intelligence, since only 2 classes uses it as their main stat and one of those 2 classes aren't even in BG3.
Not sure what you mean, the wizard class is in BG3 and it does use intelligence as primary stat. But I think the stat that isn't a primary for any class is constitution...it will often be a secondary stat for strength based classes but if you play as a caster or ranged character you don't need constitution. Over the course of the game 12 hp more or less won't make a huge difference.

He means Artificer.

Blackheifer
S
S
Not sure what you mean, the wizard class is in BG3 and it does use intelligence as primary stat. But I think the stat that isn't a primary for any class is constitution...it will often be a secondary stat for strength based classes but if you play as a caster or ranged character you don't need constitution. Over the course of the game 12 hp more or less won't make a huge difference.

You do actually. Constitution is used for hp and for concentration checks. Even as a sorcerer or wizard, you do need some buffer for your health. You won't be doing any good to your party if you drop unconscious in round 1.

P.S. I assume our elf friend meant that he dumps intelligence when that stat is not a primary stat for the class.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 20/07/23 01:33 AM.
Blackheifer #866170 20/07/23 01:31 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

He means Artificer.
I completely forgot artificers were a thing to be honest. lol

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Scales & Fangs
You do actually. Constitution is used for hp and for concentration checks. Even as a sorcerer or wizard, you do need some buffer for your health. You won't be doing any good to your party if you drop unconscious in round 1.

P.S. I assume our sith friend meant that he dumps intelligence when that stat is not a primary stat for the class.
Don't think I've ever had constitution above 12. Even for caster classes it's usually a third tier stat.

Sai the Elf #866367 20/07/23 10:28 AM
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
What stats I "dump" (if setting them to 9 counts as that - I will not go lower as a rule) depends on my character, but I will never dump INT. just for RP reasons. I can be good or evil, likeable or not likeable, a weakling or a brute, easily succumb to my flaws or heroically resist them every time....but I will never be dumb.

Sai the Elf #866397 20/07/23 11:25 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've never in my life seen roll for stats implemented in BG3 o.O

Sai the Elf #866410 20/07/23 11:35 AM
Banned
Banned
True, but it doesn't mean to say they had it implemented at some point and just not included it in EA.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard