Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Fat representation is not as trendy as lbgtq+ and racial representation and at the end of the day is all about money. Does the cost of adding fat bodies to the game will make enough profit? If not, there's no point for them to add it. It is what it is.

It doesn't affect me in any way whether they add it or not but as I always say, having the option is always better. I also don't understand the need some people seem to have to self insert into the game, I've been playing almost 30 years and I've played characters of any gender,race,sexual orientation and species under the sun and I've had fun regardless... But again, having options is ALWAYS better.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
"Well, I think it could come across as kind of skeevy to be able to select specifically different boob sizes for female bodies if that weren't part of a comprehensive customisation system that let us adjust various body dimensions for all genders. "

Well, yeah. It should because that's all they are doing genitlia. How is allowing players to decide 'boob size' skeevier' than 'choosing genitilia'? Dolly Parton is as real as someone smaller breasted. A builder builder is as real as noodle arms. All of these should be allowed if possible.

Women and men comes in all shapes and sizes. That should be represented. Makes logical sense.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I wish I knew how to post images on this forum. I could post SFW screenies of a couple of my Skyrim characters.

Adgaroth #866760 20/07/23 08:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
Fat representation is not as trendy as lbgtq+ and racial representation and at the end of the day is all about money. Does the cost of adding fat bodies to the game will make enough profit? If not, there's no point for them to add it. It is what it is.

Larian proved at least to an extent, that to them it is not only/always about money. People don't even make the DLCs. I can totally see them adding it just to make the RP aspects of the game better.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Buba68
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I want to make my Tavy Soprano Barbarian. .
Damnit! Now I want to roleplay Bianca Castafiore! Acoustic damage and alll!

Dennis Roussos is easier - take a Dwarf ...

I had to look all this up to figure out you were talking about making a Bard. Obscure!

Originally Posted by Sai the Elf
yeah fat adventurers is about as realistic as wheelchair bound adventurers in D&D, why put yourselves in a wheelchair when magic can heal any physical aliments, why play a fat character when all that adventuring is going to cause them to lose all that weight

Not necessarily. You assume that all adventurers like to go on long-ass nature hikes across Faurun.

Tavy Soprano tends to stick to large cities and his adventures are around controlling the local crime syndicates and finding out who "put this fucking tadpole in his head, and making them pay". Dislikes honest guards/authority figures and snitches.

He is more of a sprinter than a long distance runner. In a 10 round engagement he is going to do a lot of damage, as long as he doesn't have to run too far.

He has a high carb diet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

He is a big Bluto-like character, and hard to injure.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 20/07/23 09:00 PM.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
There are degrees of fat. I don't think anyone is asking to be so big they can barely walk. A huge dude with a belly and arms as thick as trees can be just as formidable as another guy who is totally shredded with a perfect six-pack.

This is especially true when you add magic to the equation. If a scrawny twig of a man can be a wizard or sorcerer I don't see why they couldn't survive while also being on the chubby side.

Volourn #866780 20/07/23 09:48 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Volourn
"Well, I think it could come across as kind of skeevy to be able to select specifically different boob sizes for female bodies if that weren't part of a comprehensive customisation system that let us adjust various body dimensions for all genders. "

Well, yeah. It should because that's all they are doing genitlia. How is allowing players to decide 'boob size' skeevier' than 'choosing genitilia'? Dolly Parton is as real as someone smaller breasted. A builder builder is as real as noodle arms. All of these should be allowed if possible.

Women and men comes in all shapes and sizes. That should be represented. Makes logical sense.

It is because genitalia is hidden under cloth models and they don't have to do extra work, if they add breast size they need to rework every single piece of armor in the game, it is really that simple.

Originally Posted by neprostoman
Larian proved at least to an extent, that to them it is not only/always about money. People don't even make the DLCs. I can totally see them adding it just to make the RP aspects of the game better.

Sure, I never said they're Activision, but what they add or don't add is always going to be heavily influenced by money,resources,demand and social pressure.

Last edited by Adgaroth; 20/07/23 09:54 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Options are good. Everything in the game takes work. Saying it'll take work is not a real argument. Larian stated one if theur goals was to give a choice fir everyone to create their character as they see fit. Adding an option only enhances that goal. Again, they allow you to choose your genitalia. That's more skeevy than boobs (top less nudity is technically legally fir both men and women in my country; bottom less nudity isnt). The fact you point you can't see it just makes it seem like a useless change making it worse.

Volourn #866789 20/07/23 10:13 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Again, they allow you to choose your genitalia. That's more skeevy than boobs (top less nudity is technically legally fir both men and women in my country; bottom less nudity isnt). The fact you point you can't see it just makes it seem like a useless change making it worse.
I agree it's less skeevy than what's below the belt, plus being topless is also been legal in my province for the last 20 + years, it might be different in other Canadian provinces.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
If we can have multiple options for primary sex characteristics, I suppose in a way it makes sense to have multiple options for secondary sex characteristics.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the modders will make a bigger chest moder soon-ish the problem is that new body will generate clipping with any existing armor model in the game so you can only use it naked or with custom armor models wich is the real work behind it and why we don't have different breast types.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, I said earlier in this thread that I don't want to see this turn into a discussion of whether or not the amount of exercise our characters undertake in the course of the game would lead to losing weight. I repeat it below as it's clear not everyone has got the message. I'll allow that to be an excuse once, but no more.

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'd also like to see more body type variations, including fatter ones. Hopefully this might be something that can be added later.

And I don't want to see this turn into a discussion of whether or not the amount of exercise our characters undertake in the course of the game would lead to losing weight. It's irrelevant in a fantasy game and I've never yet seen that discussed without it slipping into anti-fat tropes that are unacceptable here. So unless people are willing to spend the time and effort to educate themselves fully on that topic so they can manage to discuss it without, quite understandably, causing offence, then they're better off just saying they're happy with the body types already present and leaving it at that.

And asking people to "Stop" expressing any view that is not against forum rules is not on. But at the same time, characterising arguments as "ridiculous" comes across as confrontational. Let's turn the heat down.

I would also suggest that if people want to continue to discuss changing boob size or other elements of bodies, we take it out of this thread so it doesn't derail or distract from the topic here.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 20/07/23 10:59 PM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Okay, I said earlier in this thread that I don't want to see this turn into a discussion of whether or not the amount of exercise our characters undertake in the course of the game would lead to losing weight. I repeat it below as it's clear not everyone has got the message. I'll allow that to be an excuse once, but no more.

I'd also like to see more body type variations, including fatter ones. Hopefully this might be something that can be added later.

And I don't want to see this turn into a discussion of whether or not the amount of exercise our characters undertake in the course of the game would lead to losing weight. It's irrelevant in a fantasy game and I've never yet seen that discussed without it slipping into anti-fat tropes that are unacceptable here. So unless people are willing to spend the time and effort to educate themselves fully on that topic so they can manage to discuss it without, quite understandably, causing offence, then they're better off just saying they're happy with the body types already present and leaving it at that.

And asking people to "Stop" expressing any view that is not against forum rules is not on. But at the same time, characterising arguments as "ridiculous" comes across as confrontational. Let's turn the heat down.

I would also suggest that if people want to continue to discuss changing boob size or other elements of bodies, we take it out of this thread so it doesn't derail or distract from the topic here.
Ok, on the topic of fat bodies, they should be race-restricted to certain races like Humans, Dwarves, Halflings, and the occasional Half-Orc, while races like Elves, Half-Elves, Tieflings and Githyanki shouldn't have access to this body type, heck even Halsin's body type is already lore breaking for elves anyways.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Fat bodies follow the same reasoning that breast sizes, making a fat body would mean they have to change every armor model in the game like they did for the beefy Halsing body and they ended up implementing because they already had part of the work done, adding a fat body would be an undertaking for a DLC feature I would guess. And if that is the case I don't know if they would put resources into that, it would also depend on the pricing of the DLC and other stuff. It's more complex than it seems at first glance but more customization options is always a win in my book.

The only ''issue'' I might have is that these customization options more often than not only include one side of the spectrum, meaning genital swaping being ''more important'' for representation than different breasts sizes (last comparison/example using breasts I promise lol). But I also acknowledge the fact that one is way more cheaper/easier to add than the other while also being more impactful in terms of PR. Is like adding the they/them pronoun, it's easy and cheap, sure you need to add some extra lines into the game but it's much cheaper than doing separate trans characters fully voiced and with full narrative interaction and plots. It's an easy way to please part of the community.

Sai the Elf #866823 20/07/23 11:37 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf
Ok, on the topic of fat bodies, they should be race-restricted to certain races like Humans, Dwarves, Halflings, and the occasional Half-Orc, while races like Elves, Half-Elves, Tieflings and Githyanki shouldn't have access to this body type, heck even Halsin's body type is already lore breaking for elves anyways.

I think it's fine if you can make your main character a fat elf, since you have the option to not use it if you find it lore/immersion breaking, the problem would be changing 20% of the elfs in the game into that body model. And Halsing well...just ONE elf that breaks the mold is not a big deal for me.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Yeah, exceptions that break the rule. Elves live for 100s of years, and there's been millions of them... bound to be one who likes donuts and hates execising. Afterall, elves *are* known for low con. <>

Volourn #866895 21/07/23 02:44 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, exceptions that break the rule. Elves live for 100s of years, and there's been millions of them... bound to be one who likes donuts and hates execising. Afterall, elves *are* known for low con. <>

It's weird how many people are so deadset against people playing against type at all. Like some people enjoy playing that one character that is against type

addict
addict
LMAO

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Scoonster49 #866990 21/07/23 07:56 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Scoonster49
This reminds me of the discussion I had a few weeks ago about racial ability scores. Some people get so bent out of shape about a Orc that happens to be weak or halfling that happens to be unusually strong. It's a fantasy world and doesn't have to be realistic. I have no desire to play a fat character but I also have no issues with them giving people the option too. If people want to roleplay as an overweight character than good on them. The fun of tabletop has always been for alot of people not being restricted by tight rules and being able to use their imagination

You are right about that. Ofc there can be an execptionally strong Halfling that is stronger that most Half-Orcs. But i think that "Tashas rules for creating a character" takes away the racial differences that should be there.

A standard Half-Orc is stronger then a standard halfing, so to say. Waht we have with this is that everyone come into this world with equal ability scores. I do no like that. The inherent boni (or mali that were removed for whatever reason) Show exactly these differences.

With Tashas a Halfling is the same as a Half-Orc and that feels just wrong to me.

What i would have done is remove the Barrier we have on max scores at character creation. That way you can put 18 points in strenght with your Half-ord and end up with 20. The downside is still there since the costs in points is so high that all other scores are lower.

And for all who say that it is too high for a beginner char...maybe but if you want it you can get there pretty fast anyway. And 20 is the max for natural ability scores anyway...if you want more you need special means. Min/Maxers will build that anyway. Just a tad later if we keep it as is.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Take a look at Diablo 4 Druids. That kind of bulky would be a nich addition to body shapes.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard