Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'd say that a fat body can even pass for a "strong-man" body instead of a body builder body.

... because it's fun!
Sansang2 #867015 21/07/23 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Sansang2
I'd say that a fat body can even pass for a "strong-man" body instead of a body builder body.

Exactly.

I see Giant Haystacks... I see a Monk build.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I'd love to have the ability create a wider range of player characters, and would certainly make good use of that. But perhaps for me an even greater advantage of more variety in body shapes would be to see more diversity in the NPCs. I think it looks just a bit weird and immersion breaking that everyone of the same sex/race is exactly the same shape or, in some cases now, one of just two shapes. Adding variety of body shapes to NPCs would make the world feel more real to me. And once it's done for NPCs, there's less of a stretch to add it for player characters too (though I accept there's probably still some extra work to do when it comes to the variety of equipment that needs to work with different models).

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'd love to have the ability create a wider range of player characters, and would certainly make good use of that. But perhaps for me an even greater advantage of more variety in body shapes would be to see more diversity in the NPCs. I think it looks just a bit weird and immersion breaking that everyone of the same sex/race is exactly the same shape or, in some cases now, one of just two shapes. Adding variety of body shapes to NPCs would make the world feel more real to me. And once it's done for NPCs, there's less of a stretch to add it for player characters too (though I accept there's probably still some extra work to do when it comes to the variety of equipment that needs to work with different models).

I agree with that. I would love to see more variety in NPCs. Especially since NPCs have mostly the same clothing, so there don't have to be armor models fitted to them ( unlike the PC and companions).

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
One of the problems with believable different body shapes like obese, but also old people is that they would require own animation sets. We might not think about it, but it becomes quickly obvious if people don't behave the way their body suggest they would.

Also different size variation have problems stemming from animations needing to fit together - think of handshakes - hands need to be in there right position for it them to connect. Not every engine has the tech implemented to handle those blends between heights.

One more issue comes from optimization - all those differences need to be handled on runtime. You need to load all those different body shapes (and skeletons controlling them) into memory while you play. Same with the different animations. So on the one hand you have the whole creation pipeline getting more and more convoluted, but also while the game is played the variations will be taxing the hardware. As hardware is improving and development tools help automatize some of the tasks necessary, we see more and more of this in game. But sadly it sounds far easier than it actually is and that's why we often see a very uniform set of bodies.

I oversimplified here because it makes no sense to go into more detail, since each production and game handles this differently, but its one of the big topics and problems for games with crowds.

S
S
I think more body types would be a great post-launch addition. It obviously requires more work on Larian’s part, so it’s not high priority for me right now, but would add a lot of variety to the characters you can create.

I really don’t understand the argument that an adventurer can’t be heavyset. What’s preventing someone like a wizard who just stands in the back blasting things with spells from being heavier? Sure there’s a lot of walking involved with adventuring but that doesn’t necessarily make someone skinny or muscular. Plus if your level 1 character was some kind of noble who never exercised a day in their life, they wouldn’t start off super muscular anyway so it would take a long time to get to that point. Not to mention that heavier people CAN be muscular and healthy.

I would really love some skinnier options as well. The more options the better IMO. Lots of other games allow for multiple body types so I don’t see why it’s out of the question.

Last edited by sublimeclown; 21/07/23 02:21 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
A slightly off topic deeper dive on the Fat Bodies question./

I think people might want to take a moment and think on why you play CRPGs and role playing in general. One thing I've noticed that is relatively new to the RPG industry is the reality-creep in our fantasies, this weird need for some to not play their idealized self, the fantasy self, in fantasy settings but instead just play themselves as they are. I understand the argument around representation in entertainment and for some things like race, sex, and gender that makes sense especially if we're talking about real world settings but I wonder if a fantasy CRPG is really the appropriate place to cater to every possible variation of person. I can totally get behind having many NPC body types so that the environment looks more real and lived in, I can also see wanting the option to play a Frier Tuck or spindly wizard type or even a A Connecticut Yankee in King Arther's Court kind of experience but I don't see the need to see oneself in a fantasy game as you are in reality. This is a fantasy adventure after all where you get to explore exotic settings and fight imaginary creatures and villains, and you have the ability to choose what you look like doing it, it's a chance to experience an environment as your idealized self. If you really want to play your mundane self, well, go outside because there's adventure out there if you look for it, maybe not slaying dragons but there are amazing experiences to be had. It just feels kinda wrong, even, dare I say it, unhealthy on a fundamental level that one's personal fantasy is not to play at being extraordinary or something different but to be exactly like you already are.

I guess the question each person may want to ask themselves is not about whether or not we should have fat body types available in a fantasy CRPG game, that will come sooner than later as the economic realities of making these types of CRPG make it profitable, but why you'd want that option for yourself. It's worth examining because if it's no longer an escapist fantasy then it may become an escapist delusion and delusion is never healthy.

With all that said I do support the ability to change body types ect., the more options the better as far as I'm concerned, but why we choose something in our fantasies is as important as the option to do so. I just felt that there are a lot of people out there that are not yet living their best lives, are still struggling against their own personal demons, and that maybe it was worth pointing out that it may not be the most helpful in their journey to mix reality and fantasy too much. So have the option but also maybe examine why you're choosing the options you do choose because every choice we make in life either moves us closer to our goal or further from it.

/slightly off topic deeper dive on the Fat Bodies question.

FuriousGreg #867392 21/07/23 06:56 PM
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by FuriousGreg
A slightly off topic deeper dive on the Fat Bodies question.

*snip*

While I think understand where you're coming from (I would never want to play a character who's like me), I think you're tiptoeing into don't yuk someone's yum territory. If someone wants to play characters that feels like themselves, then I'd like them to be able to.

colinl8 #867397 21/07/23 07:03 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by colinl8
Originally Posted by FuriousGreg
A slightly off topic deeper dive on the Fat Bodies question.

*snip*

While I think understand where you're coming from (I would never want to play a character who's like me), I think you're tiptoeing into don't yuk someone's yum territory. If someone wants to play characters that feels like themselves, then I'd like them to be able to.

I agree but it is a problem if you as a game developer have to expend half of your resources into making sure any living being in the world can self project themselves as close to 1:1 into the game, making other important parts of the game lacking or having to chose between improving parts of the game vs adding said self insert capabilities.

S
S
Also... it is entirely possible for someone to like the aesthetic of a heavier body and wanting to play that character, whether or not they look that way in real life. Thinking that the only people who could possibly want to play a heavier character are people who want to recreate themselves is a bit reductive.

Last edited by sublimeclown; 21/07/23 07:05 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I popped in to say pretty much what I now see sublimeclown has already said. One of the things I love about RPGs is playing a whole variety of characters who are not like me in various ways, including ones that are lighter or heavier, older or younger, or have different genders, sexualities, races or ages, as well as different abilities, politics and morals.

But, that said, if amongst all that variety I couldn’t play a middle aged woman (like me in RL) I’d see that as a lack. I’m particularly pleased, therefore, that we now have an age slider so I can create characters who are closer to me in age or older and though I’m still unlikely to create an exact self-insert, I do think it’s important in a game like this to allow us to create characters that have features in common with us, especially when we feel they’re in some way central to who we are or how society perceives us. But also so that other people can perhaps roleplay as characters who are like us, and maybe even as a result come to understand us and empathise with us more.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
sublimeclown #867415 21/07/23 07:29 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
Also... it is entirely possible for someone to like the aesthetic of a heavier body and wanting to play that character, whether or not they look that way in real life. Thinking that the only people who could possibly want to play a heavier character are people who want to recreate themselves is a bit reductive.

I agree with your point but I also think it's a much reduced percentage.

colinl8 #867449 21/07/23 08:11 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by colinl8

Originally Posted by sublimeclown

I thought I covered this in my post but to clarify: there is nothing wrong with choice and choosing to play whatever kind of character you'd like nor was it a commentary on what is attractive or not. I'm also not going to get into health issues about being overweight, health questions like that should be between a person and their doctor and aren't relevant here. I thought this was an interesting subject for people to take a moment and examine why one is drawn to playing characters that are more like themselves rather than taking advantage of this fantasy environment where you can be an idealized version of yourself. Self image is an important part of mental health and fantasies can be a window into one's feelings about oneself so it's a great opportunity to learn about oneself through the choices you make in your fantasy character. Like I said, I thought this was interesting to think on smile

And if I'm being honest I was killing time by ruminating on the topic while I wait for the rest of my team to finish up so we can go get some beers wink

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, I mentioned anti-fat tropes earlier. One of them is always bringing up health whenever weight is a topic of conversation. Let’s not do that. We’re here to have fun chats about games, whatever our body shapes.

The question of self-inserts in RPGs is an interesting one, but best taken to another thread and discussed more generally if folk want to get into it further.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Question How many people here that are asking for this are obese IRL themselves and are not asking for it because of some fetish?

If you want a fat person's opinion, I can tell you that no fat person wants to play as someone whose also fat, I hate to admit it but obesity runs in my family, I know from both first and second hand experience that most people want to escape their realities not get reminded by it everytime, they play a game.

The reason why I mosly I play Elves and Tieflings in D&D is so I can be hot, handsome, fit and at least be popular with the opposite sex for once.

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 30/07/23 01:46 PM.
Sai the Elf #872124 30/07/23 02:00 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf
The reason why I mosly I play Elves and Tieflings in D&D is so I can be hot, handsome, fit and at least be popular with the opposite sex for once.

And thats a totally valid reason, no less than others. I am not fat IRL and I'll gladly play as a fat merchant or nobleman, because I think it adds the extra flavor and conveys the looks of someone who can afford some meats and jellies more often.

Edit: but I have to admit that I'd been fat before I served in the army and I know how it feels when compared to being lean.

Last edited by neprostoman; 30/07/23 02:02 PM.
old hand
old hand
Truth be told, this needn't be about inclusion or representation at all. I'd like this from a roleplaying aspect, and would use this feature if it were there.

A Chubby Halfling Bard that pursues naught but the best service and food and luxury.
A Brother-Tuck-ish Cleric or Monk that smacks baddies on the head with a stick, whilst sipping mead with his off hand
A Bombur-esque Dwarf that does the same, but with an Axe and a swig of some Strong, Dwarven Ale.
A Human Noble that never had to work a day in his life, suddenly forced into adventure as he's captured by Mind Flayers
A Gnomish Druid, severely addicted to Goodberries.

Yup. Bring it.

And, even if no one picks this, it would *still* make for good immersion in the world. I always find it weird that everyone in the world has the same, perfectly formed body. I mean, give Mama Murphy a new set of clothes, and she's suddenly a twenty-five-year old with a wrinkled face [although FO4 had some body scale sliders to make it less obvious, I suppose].

Edit: Oh, hang on. I was reading the first page when I typed this, I'm saying stuff that's already said. Sorry.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 30/07/23 02:07 PM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I think the most worrisome thing about there not being fat bodies is that Larian won't comment on the topic. Have they not seen us ask about it? It's been in several feedback threads on at least the BG3 subreddit since early EA, and it was already a struggle to ask for inclusive pronouns here and on other sites considering husky characters are what seemingly would be an obvious inclusion (as other games include, if nothing else, larger bellies).

I play on PS5, so I won't have access to any mods for chubby bodies. None of the ones in-game that I know of are portrayed in a, for lack of better words, neutral way. There are 2 bigger bodied characters who play tabletop RPGs that I REALLY wanted to recreate in BG3.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by EnzeruAnimeFan
I think the most worrisome thing about there not being fat bodies is that Larian won't comment on the topic.

Larian don't tend to comment on any specific feedback, at least unless and until they actually release something in response to it. To me it would be odder if they did comment on this one, specific feature in amongst all the many other ones folk have been requesting.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't like more body shape options, as I think I've already said in this thread I do think that would be great.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by EnzeruAnimeFan
I think the most worrisome thing about there not being fat bodies is that Larian won't comment on the topic.

Larian are game developers not the WHO. Larian have ignored numerous pleas from users about multifarious things like game mechanics, spell and feat implementation, etc.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard