Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Ragnarök
[quote=branmakmuffin]Astarion is a very cool character, I like him and his dialogues, but he definitively got gay vibes. He might be bisexual, but in my opinion he's more gay than anything else
dear, a flamboyant man is not more gay just because he is flamboyant, that is just a stereotype, is 2023... Theres no such a thing like more gay or straight, bi people are just bi people because they like both genders and bettween, no matter for what spectrum they feel more attraction. Being gay only means I like men, it doesnt have anything to do with my personality or expression.

Last edited by nickclark89; 02/08/23 09:07 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
"I don't normally do this on a first date, smooch smooch oh this is *so* wrong"

Affairs of the heart. That's when them rules get broken and tossed.

It could get real interesting if pala-Tav starts romance with dark SH, then she turns light and says something like 'how could you even love that version of me?' Hard questions, no easy answer.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by nickclark89
Astarion is a very cool character, I like him and his dialogues, but he definitively got gay vibes. He might be bisexual, but in my opinion he's more gay than anything else
dear, a flamboyant man is not more gay just because he is flamboyant, that is just a stereotype, is 2023... Theres no such a thing like more gay or straight, bi people are just bi people because they like both genders and bettween, no matter for what spectrum they feel more attraction. Being gay only means I like men, it doesnt have anything to do with my personality or expression.

Maybe you're just lacking life experience or you want to turn a blind eye deliberately.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, even in the year 2023. Many gay men have these effeminate, mincing vibes to them. Not all of course, I know some openly gay men from my gym, who aren't like that, but even they say, it's very frequent in the gay community.

That's why this stereotype still exists and that's also why you need to be completely ignorant to reality, if you don't feel the gay vibes of Astarion. (No offense intended from my side.)
Even though Larian planed to design him as a bisexual character, he sends out very much gay vibes in my opinion.

Anyway enough board activity for me today, got to get some work finished and off my desk.

Last edited by Ragnarök; 02/08/23 09:38 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by nickclark89
I agree that there is no necessary connection between a man being "flamboyant" and being gay, but to say there's no such thing as "more gay" or "more straight" is to say that there's no continuum between "pure gay" (meaning that, for a man, he is strictly and only attracted to men) and "pure straight" (meaning, for a man, strictly and only attracted to women). You are essentially saying it's not OK for a man to say "I'm straight, but I'd sleep with <fill on the blank male celebrity>." The way i read your post, you'd say that man is bi-sexual, whether he wants to describe himself like that or not. To say that would not be very 2023. If that is in fact what you are saying.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Fortunately we don't need to get into the complexities of modern thinking about sexual identities here, in order to chat about which romances we personally can see our character's pursuing. So let's steer clear of potentially treacherous and offensive waters.

It's a matter of public record that Astarion has many female fans as well as male ones, so while some people do "read" him as gay, others clearly don't. And both readings are fine as the story is ours to interpret it as we wish. Let's leave it at that and not belabour the point.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 02/08/23 10:03 AM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
How do you know that Brinna is a Halfling? I didn't find any info on her? We even don't know if hirelings will be romanceable. But if she was a Halfling, then I'd pass on her, too.

The head used is recognisably one that's only available in EA for female halflings, so it's a reasonable bet that's what Brinna is.

And it's of course absolutely fine for people to find or not find any of the companions or hirelings attractive and to say so, but as with any other point made here let's recognise when we've made our preference clear and not bang on about it. I feel there's a risk here of Too Much Information being shared about personal sexual predilections and aversions and I think most of us probably just don't want to know quite so much about what our fellow forum members find attractive or otherwise in real life!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin
I never got warm with Shadowheart’s personality during the Early Access nor do I fancy her looks. Actually there isn’t a single attractive female origin companion. If you’re not particularly into freaks, you’ll give Lae’zel or Karlach a hard pass. (No problem with fantasy races, after all this is D&D, but that doesn’t mean you have to find them attractive.) I really wished for a romanceable pretty human or half-elven female in BG3, but as it seems I got disappointed. The original BG series got way better options for romances as a straight male.

In general heterosexual female players in BG3 have better (in the sense of more attractive) choices than hetero males in my opinion. So far the only options are Shadowheart and Minthara. But if you don’t want to kill the druids, that only leaves Shadowheart, which is a pity.
I agree that Shadowheart and Lae'zel are unpleasant, and that Lae'zel is ugly. But I don't think Gale and Wyll are any better, in terms of either personality or looks. I have no idea what the canon on Astarion is, but to me he seems like he's gay so maybe he's the best choice for a male Tav to romance (although he's a big, dumb jerk, like they all are). Any of them, it's not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's flipping the barrel over and scraping off what's underneath.

In terms of Lae'zel's looks, there's a mod that makes her look more or less human. I imagine it's almost a certainty the mod maker will update it to be compatible with release, unless for some reason the release version of BG3 changes something about how easy (or hard) it is to mod.

Well, I'm not female, so I can't be sure of course, but even as a straight male I can see, if another male is attractive or not to some degree for women (like being tall, having broad shoulders, a deep voice, being trained/muscular to some degree, having a good looking symmetric face, having some wits and charm and not to forget a steady income).

According to this poll also, Gale and Halsin are popular options for straight females during the early access version of Act 1. Gale might still suffer from his past relationship, but he'll overcome it eventually.
Astarion is a very cool character, I like him and his dialogues, but he definitively got gay vibes. He might be bisexual, but in my opinion he's more gay than anything else.
As I wrote before, for straight males there aren't equally attractive options in Act 1 (EA version).

Concerning your statement about Shadowheart being unpleasant and Lae'zel being ugly, no discussion from my side, I agree.

Quite disappointing that Larian pushes us so hard to play and even romance less common races, which are unpleasant to the eye. They did not include a single beautiful human or half-elven romanceable female in the early access.
Mods might be an option later on, but I wont play a modded game in my very first full play through. So I can only hope that the full version of the game might include a positive surprise concerning a romanceable female later on.

It's hard to believe, that no Larian employee during the development stood up and said: "guys, so far we have a good freak show, but we also need to include someone, who will please the vast majority of those with a more common taste in women!"
But since Larian also complained publically during the early access, that most players create mother-in-law dream characters and according to their opinion didn't make enough good use of the options to go wild during character creation, I begin to doubt that there was a common sense employee, who addressed the issue of non-existing hot romanceable females for the majority of those with a more common taste.

Originally Posted by fylimar
Since you are so much into looks, I just want to point out, that Brinna is a halfling, don't know how your stance is with small races since you seem pretty harsh about horns or green skin.

Everyone who's honest about it, is into looks. The looks, appearance, physiognomy of someone is something like the entrance ticket in the first place, but the personality decides if someone wants to stay or not. I couldn't be together with a woman, I don't find attractive in the first place. There needs to be mutual attraction optically. It might sound harsh, but foremost it's totally normal.

How do you know that Brinna is a Halfling? I didn't find any info on her? We even don't know if hirelings will be romanceable. But if she was a Halfling, then I'd pass on her, too.
Because I used that face on one of my halflings 🤷. And looks are entirely subjective. I as a not so straight woman find the ladies all beautiful in their own way. I found my halfling bard and my gnome arcane trickster beautiful too. I just noticed, that you probably were looking for a more 'conventional' beauty and probably wouldn't be into halflings. I have no problem with the beauty standards of any of you.

Last edited by fylimar; 02/08/23 01:46 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
In general heterosexual female players in BG3 have better (in the sense of more attractive) choices than hetero males in my opinion. So far the only options are Shadowheart and Minthara. But if you don’t want to kill the druids, that only leaves Shadowheart, which is a pity.
Yup. This is my situation as well. And since I would harshly call out SH for being a Sharran, there'd be no romance option there either. So BG3 does not give me a reasonable romance option as a strongly good-oriented straight male.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard