Next Thread
Print Thread
#869455 25/07/23 12:20 PM
RokalVG Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hail, and well met, all.

I'm curious as to whether or not there is enough "Rogue Stuff" to do in the game?

Pick locks.
Pick pockets.
Steal.
Find/disarm traps.
Etc, etc.

Or not really, and he's just a sort of watered down melee/hybrid caster?

I have a Rogue, Arcane Trickster, that I play in some RL campaigns with friends, who has a fully developed history and back story that I'd love to bring to BG3, but if there isn't really a good amount of "Rogue Stuff" to do, then IMHO there's not much point to being a Rogue/Arcane Trickster.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

May the gods have mercy on your soul... because I won't...
Khyrmn, Captain in the Intelligence Arm for the House of Andaron
Master Arcane Trickster
There is insane amounts of rogue stuff to do. I mean you can try to steal almost from every NPC in the game which is an insane amount. Also everywhere you go , there's locks to pick and traps to disarm. I will make gloom stalker/assassin because that way my attack power multiplies and I get to do rogue stuff just as good as regular thief can.

RokalVG Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thank you very much... so Khyrmn will be born in BG3.

I love doing "Rogue Stuff," my DM always makes sure that there's a lot to do... whether or not I recognize that stuff is there is up to me though, lol.

May the gods have mercy on your soul... because I won't...
Khyrmn, Captain in the Intelligence Arm for the House of Andaron
Master Arcane Trickster
veteran
veteran
Rogue is one of my very favorite classes to play. I can attest there is a lot to do as a rogue.

Some facts:

1. Rogue is the only class that can solo the entire EA with No long rest, or even short rests.
2. Rogue DPS is extremely good in BG3 - between the sneak attack and the BA Hide ability I expect it to be just as strong in the full game.
3. The first really strong build I did was the Dark Sniper and the one I am most proud of.
4. There are traps, locks to pick, places to break into, and banks to rob as recently confirmed.
5. On top of that the Rogue/Thief subclass is amazing for getting into the Arcane tower since they can jump/fall with reduced damage or no damage and they can sneak past the Arcane Turrets, or go turn based mode and triple dash past them all. I expect there will be other great options for breaking into all kinds of places that the Rogue will excel in.

One last thing, and this is my opinion based on my experience with Bg3, but the Thief subclass is the best. That extra Bonus action plus the bonus action stuff you can do really brings out the "rogueyness" of the class.

I have had a harder time getting Arcane Trickster to be as effective, although maybe at higher levels it is.

Although one of the things I am excited to try is multiclassing rogues with casters to see how that works out. You really only need 3 levels of Rogue to unlock some of the best stuff anyway. Although there is an argument to be made for a full on 12th level rogue unleashed upon this game.

So excited. I am actually fairly certain my first play will be a rogue.

Blackheifer
Rogue only gets one attack action so it really can't compare with other DPR builds. Yes that one attack is powerful, but when there's multiple lowish hp enemies on the battlefield, it kind of sucks. When you multiclass to gloom stalker, you get multiple attacks and can do some real damage. Those thief bonus actions are not that useful for damage dealing because you can't get proficiency bonus to your off handed weapon.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Potatoo
Rogue only gets one attack action so it really can't compare with other DPR builds. Yes that one attack is powerful, but when there's multiple lowish hp enemies on the battlefield, it kind of sucks. When you multiclass to gloom stalker, you get multiple attacks and can do some real damage. Those thief bonus actions are not that useful for damage dealing because you can't get proficiency bonus to your off handed weapon.

Gloomstalkers are quite powerful and interesting as a class.

It would be a fun matchup with the Dark Sniper Rogue Build - versus the Hunter/Gloomstalker build

However, I don't yet know what the full Rogue kit is yet, can we set traps, do we specialize in poisons?

Also I don't know the BG3 full Gloomstalkers kit yet, can Gloomstalkers cast a spell and attack? (probably) Do they get BA hide? (probably not)

Although, part of my response got cut off and I was mainly talking about how Rogues are particularly useful for breaking into places, but can also hold their own in combat.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 25/07/23 03:18 PM.

Blackheifer
I love rogue class, but I will only play on tactician mode so I want to squeeze everything out of every character I have in my party. I feel that if I don't multiclass rogue, I will leave so much attack potential unused. I'm not sure what I will do about Shadowheart however. I might just keep her as trickery domain cleric without any multiclassing.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Potatoo
I love rogue class, but I will only play on tactician mode so I want to squeeze everything out of every character I have in my party. I feel that if I don't multiclass rogue, I will leave so much attack potential unused. I'm not sure what I will do about Shadowheart however. I might just keep her as trickery domain cleric without any multiclassing.

Trickery domain kinda asks to be multiclassed into a battle master fighter. Mirror Image + Riposte, also Bless on self + Con saving throw proficiency rocks.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think sneaking is very useful in BG3. In one of my favourite fights, you can sneak up to the roof beams to a perfect sniping spot - or shoot down a chandelier to set your enemies ablaze.

For one of my characters, I have made my own very risky side quest "steal from the Zhentarim (whenever possible), and give to the poor (the Tieflings)" 😄 (Yes, this would be the fantasy equivalent to stealing from the mafia, i.e. maybe not the best and most healthy idea. But so far, my Tavs made it out alive ).

In the former Selûne temple, you can sneak into the Zhentarim's storage room from an adjacent room, and sneakily steal everything from under their noses. And then sneaking back, and innocently buying some healing potions from Rhoa Moonglow, the Zhent - with her own money 😄

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I have had a harder time getting Arcane Trickster to be as effective, although maybe at higher levels it is.
One thing I really like about the Arcane Trickster is the Disguise Self spell. You can avoid some fights simply by using a fitting disguise, and tricking your way in.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lyelle
I think sneaking is very useful in BG3. In one of my favourite fights, you can sneak up to the roof beams to a perfect sniping spot - or shoot down a chandelier to set your enemies ablaze.

For one of my characters, I have made my own very risky side quest "steal from the Zhentarim (whenever possible), and give to the poor (the Tieflings)" 😄 (Yes, this would be the fantasy equivalent to stealing from the mafia, i.e. maybe not the best and most healthy idea. But so far, my Tavs made it out alive ).

In the former Selûne temple, you can sneak into the Zhentarim's storage room from an adjacent room, and sneakily steal everything from under their noses. And then sneaking back, and innocently buying some healing potions from Rhoa Moonglow, the Zhent - with her own money 😄

Yep! My favorite heist so far...

And there will be many more.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 25/07/23 08:22 PM.

Blackheifer
N
old hand
old hand
N
Tons of rogue stuff. To the point the dms made the party cleric a half rogue so you don't gimp yourself too bad if you kill the main rogue.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 25/07/23 10:04 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard