Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
So I did another run through Gobbo Castle yesterday and I tried to do it as efficiently or "least messy" as I could, attempting to just scratch off the bosses and not alert the whole place. I got in by going around the outer guards by the bridge, sneaking through that nearby "minefield" instead. Then I just walked in the front doors after doing a couple persuasion checks claiming I had an audience with one of the three bosses. Pretty standard stuff so far.

I went for the
goblin shaman/healer lady
first, asking to speak in private away from the riff-raff. Again, nothing fancy there. Then inside her altar room thing I didn't actually start any further conversation with her. I just closed the door, gathered the party around and then paused. Since she actually has to call for help in order to get it, I cast Silence on her and started chopping away for a couple turns, pushing her back into the silence zone once and finishing the job with a critical hit as a result of Sleep. Brought back fond memories of when I used Silence in BG1/2 to postpone certain events and quests by silencing the quest givers laugh After that I had Lae'zel throw the corpse a couple of times near a cliff edge and pushed it down into the abyss. No patrols finding her that way!

Next on the hit list was
Minthara,
who doesn't have a lot of guards, but still enough to potentially cause a fuss. I put out the torches near the drum above her, then stealth-killed it. The floaty security camera and the guard yelling at it below her also had to go. So again, paused the game, stealth-killed the camera in one blow while the guard was looking the other way and immediately pushed him into the abyss. The fight with the remaining goon and boss lady herself was rather standard, though I did get lucky with a Hold Person on her which made the fight a breeze.

Since I hadn't gone near the
hobgoblin boss
yet I hadn't triggered a small event right outside him where they push a guy into the spider pit. I wanted to see if I could prevent that. Dashing up didn't work. Pausing, dashing in and talking to any of them didn't change anything. So I figured I'd sit stealthed in a corner and use Mage Hand to knock the goblins involved into the spider pit, a tactic I use against the goons of the upcoming target quite effectively. But this caused said goons to turn aggressive on their friends' behalf since the rooms are linked underneath, so that didn't work. Could I perhaps just knock the guards into the other room and then talk to the victim?... no. Takes too long so the other guard still pushes him down or just straight up kills him. But what about just pushing the victim towards me with the hand and then casting Invisibility on him? That... actually worked! He said thank you and ran off. Apparently the invisibility isn't necessary though, he manages to run and despawn either way.

So with that experiment being successful it was time to try getting a "clean kill" on the last boss as well. I planted an explosive barrel Lae'zel had been lugging around between him and all the followers. I knew fire spells or arrows would surely piss everyone off, so I tried throwing candles at it to no effect other than everyone suddenly liking me less for vandalism. Huh. But again, Mage Hand to the rescue! Actually just punching the barrel with it did more damage than any projectile and the only survivors was blasted down into the spider pit. Boss ran over to help them and got pushed into the pit by the hand. The spiders was no match for him, especially since the AI tends to bug out and not fight back there quite often, but I just started raining Fire Bolts and arrows down at him as he tried hitting his way through the gate to no effect. The rest of the goblins inside was hostile after this, but they weren't alerted or searching for us so after
freeing Halsin
I just teleported back to the druid grove, mission complete!

What sneaky use of the game mechanics (possibly bordering on exploits) have you put to good use in order to get something incredibly spesific done? Oh and I'm trying to keep this somewhat light on spoilers since release is upon us and there might be a lot of new players popping up, so it's nice if we can keep that going in this thread at least.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
R
R
Dude this was awesome

enthusiast
enthusiast
I throw potions sometimes to get dieing party members up

Or save npcs if i dont have a heal, the splash of the potion can heal multiple people if they are close

I mage hand threw the snake in the grove to stop it killing the child, but seemed larian hadn't thought of this and the child still died to a dead snake

I use fog to steal of npcs with out anyone else seeing

Use friend in skill checks then run the caster away so the npc dosent hostile

Eldritch blast/ range attack the trap statues so i dont have to find the traps

Split my team up when evil and cause the grove to fight over the dead child just before telling minthara
The location of the grove so they get attacked mid civil war

Drop the crain on the bandits head push the halfing off the box and stealth slap the mage at the lich temple, then disguise self to ask to come in and suprise attack the inside guard then explode barrel the guys waiting in a suprise attack opening the door with the leaver in stealth

Then remove all the weapons from the undead scholars/monks and throw them in a pile so when they ressurect i can cast a few aoes and kill them in one turn

Throw fire/ destroy the eggs of the spider before the fight

Stealth kill the ambushing goblins under the house then on the roof, and have someone on the opposite house doing the same to end the fight quickly, if stealth attack dosent finsh them a shove normally does

Always poison the goblins at the party torment the kissing toe goblin till he storms off for a piss and push him off the cliff stealth kill all the drunk goblins,

Chat to priestest goblin chat to her n have someone attack outside the conversation with silence ready if she goes in to combat

Release the spiders so they fight the goblins for me

Drop/throw a heavy chest on to the hobgoblins head from the roof

Turn the leader gnoll against its own pack then get it to eat its self

Throw the spectator at the gith whist hidden then use the ogres once the spectator is dead

OP Offline
I've seen the NPCs throw potions too. And amusingly, miss and hit my party member instead laugh The use of fog for stealing is brilliant, I'm also going to have to use that. As well as the Friends spell trick.

I handle the bandits and the scholars in much the same way though it's only recently I started throwing them around first. Lots of clever solutions there I hadn't thought of.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
enthusiast
enthusiast
My preferred tactic for the Hag is Create Water over her in her lair; this reveals her from Invisible, but also tags her with the Wet condition for 3 turns, allowing you to easily detect which of her clones in the real Auntie. smile

Minor Illusion from stealth to lure enemies towards opportune explosives in another favorite...

Last edited by Elessaria666; 28/07/23 03:42 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard