Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Ferros Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
F
I noticed there is a flaw in the Fly spell that does not exist for other forms of flight. Because the Fly spell only makes your character fly while they move from one location to the other, and not constantly levitate while the spell is active, your character can be harmed by floor effects if they move to a location with an effect present (like the floor being on fire).

However, this is not the case for a druid using Dire Raven form, or a Warlock's Imp. Those characters are in constant flight even when they are standing still, and therefore they can hover over a burning floor and remain unaffected by the harmful effect.

A character who is subjected to the Fly spell should have the ability to levitate in place and remain in the air even when they are not actively moving, so that they can hover over harmful ground like the other characters who have natural flight. Considering the tabletop spell allows continuous flight, I don't see a reason that the Fly spell shouldn't provide the same benefit that we can get from other forms of flight in this game.

old hand
old hand
100% agreed, a beautiful suggestion here.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yep, fly is supposed to let you hover - I wonder if they are treating it like a (slow) jump spell? Or if getting the engine to treat the spell in the right was is problematic due to the way they define spell effects? The fact that monsters/familiar can fly may not mean that spell effects can automatically duplicate that. Also, just hovering immediately over the ground may be easy (they had similar in DOS - you were immune to surface effects) - but fly should also vertical movement too - but that requires true 3D space navigation game, and from what I have seen BG3 doesn't do that (how would they position you on the vertical axis?). Just hovering over he ground (or having that effect) is not enough - fly allows you to move far from enemies, so they can';t, for example, include you in a AoE spell that effects some of your other party members. If it is a glorified jump, then that is very sad. I haven't used it though - so will have to see next week.

Link Copied to Clipboard