OP Offline
stranger
Hi all, I have started playing on the below setup -

Windows 11
32GB Ram
AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
AMD Radeon RX 6800M 12GB
Also using an SSD with 1TB storage.

I used the auto detect function in the settings menu which seemed to pick all high settings on most things, but I’m finding that the game will often stutter and the FPS seems to drop really low. Is my laptop too weak to be running in high settings at 1440p? Or could there be a background issue? I’m a novice with pc/laptops so it’s rather frustrating. Thanks for any help in advance.

B
old hand
old hand
B
The simple thing would be to reduce the settings to see if it improves things.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Are you using DirectX 11 or Vulkan (there's a selector on the launcher page). Perhaps try the other option to see if that's better.

I had a problem during early access when running the game in DX11 on Windows 11 where framerates dropped hugely. I eventually tracked the problem down to the HDR setting which was on by default. As I had no need for HDR, I disabled it which fixed the problem.

If you have this setting on and are finding the game runs okay in Vulkan but not DX11, that's one possible culprit.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
A
stranger
stranger
A
I had a big problem with DX11 with my PC,

1080ti
32gb ram
1tb ssd

I opened up task manager and found the game was using 100% of my CPU, not much of my gpu at all and about 6gb of ram. The goblin camp area had horrific stutter.

Happily this issue went away for me using Vulkan and CPU usage was much better. No amount of fiddling with other in game settings changed a thing for me.

Byrne20 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have tried both Vulkan and DX11 and it seems to run slightly better with Vulkan but still can get very bad. It’s fine one min and then all of a sudden it’s not. I did check that my system matched the recommended to play and I’m pretty sure it’s above most of the recommended specs. I’m just worried it’s an issue like you have noted above where the CPU and GPU are not working properly.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm playing on an i5, gtx 1660 super, 16gb, SSD, DX11. I used autodetect graphic setting which picked quite everything on high but the game is SLOOOW. So I turned to medium but still same issue. It takes up to 15-20 second to load or save a game, slow on starting a dialogue or switching environment. Also animations like jumps or strikes are very bad.
I am very disappointed because I played 150 hours the EA version on high settings and it run better than the final release.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Same for me. I played fine in EA with settings fairly high and it's unplayable now, even at everything set to low.
i7, 16gb ram, ssd, dx12, Intel HD Graphics 620.

I'll try Vulkan and see what happens.

F
Fuh Offline
stranger
stranger
F
I hesitate to post this since it doesn't make much sense, but I'll just describe what happened and others can do what they want with the information.

System:
AMD 3900X
32GB system RAM
RTX 3080 10GB

Settings:
DX11
1920x1200@60hz
Default high
Frame rate cap 60FPS
DLSS: Balanced

I was having pretty much the problem described here. Sometimes, the game would maintain a perfectly smooth 60, but then inevitably it would start to stutter and FPS would drop to a variable 30-50. I tried everything to fix this including switching to Vulkan, setting all graphical options to low, wiping out the user profile, reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, etc. Nothing made any difference. The GPU would report 100% usage, but GPU temp was hovering around 50C, so clearly it wasn't working very hard.

Then a couple of days ago after a full settings wipe, I tried switching DLSS to "Performance". GPU usage immediately dropped to around 50% (expected with a 60FPS cap), and suddenly a smooth and consistent 60. I even switched DLSS back to "Balanced", and it maintained a consistent 60.

So that's where I am now. Game is running as it should, but I'm not entirely clear what I did to fix it. All I can say is the last thing I did was the DLSS switch.

Link Copied to Clipboard