Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I love getting inspiration, feels like a nice reward for handling something well.

I love succeeding in rolls, allowing me to get the results I'm trying to.

But this is getting ridiculously overpowered. It's way too easy for me to succeed in every roll I want to, as I can reroll to my hearts content and be sure that by the next important roll, I'd reacquire the inspiration point from one event or another.

The ratio of difficult DC rolls to inspiration point granted is just too favorable, making the game seem cheesily too easy.

Suggestions for fix:
1) Require 3 inspiration points per reroll. Allow stocking up to 3 rerolls (9 inspirations)
2) Reevaluate some inspiration giving events: culls them down a tiny bit. Have the stronger, more inspiring events give 1-3 points at once depending on how overwhelmingly inspiring they are - that way you can still feel strongly rewarded for some hard to get achievements within the 'sea' of slightly inspiring events. for example spoiler warning:
winning the fight vs goblins with no casualties should be a stronger inspiration for Lae'zel than hearing a lover morning her dead loved one is for Shadowheart. Also, early game events should give more inspiration points to get new players familiar with the system, it's only deeper into the game that I really felt I had way too much inspiration.
3) increase the DC on some hard optional rolls.... for example, spoiler warning:
Convincing cultists to walk into the mists and die should be harder.

Considering the number of high DC checks you have to make, often in a row in the same conversation where any failure means every success was wasted, I feel like we get shafted with the max 4 inspiration thing. Remove the cap and things would feel less BS on the shill check front.

As a DM, I am very aware that you should never make something a skill check unless failing that skill check also provides a path forward. BG3 feels like it sometmes does that, but a lot of times failing a skill check leaves you surrounded, with the 250+ HP monster dealing 100 dmg per turn and 7 dmg immunities leading the pack already in melee range of your characters. Or the room explodes.

At this point, I'd like a dedicated option in the settings for "Automatically succeed all skill checks", because it feels like the game expects me to save scum a lot of this. To quote Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation: "You can't blame someone for breaking a window if the only door is in the roof."

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
I
old hand
old hand
I
Its only too much when you safescum.

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I think you should cap reroll to 1. So you get inspiration but only can reroll once. Doesn't impact savescummer in any case so everyone wins

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
The Inspiration banking does seem deep, so as noted either limit the bank so you can only have a limited number of points on hand at any time. Or if you choose to use the reroll you only get that choice once.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Zentu
The Inspiration banking does seem deep, so as noted either limit the bank so you can only have a limited number of points on hand at any time. Or if you choose to use the reroll you only get that choice once.
Its already limited to 4.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
What bothers me most is that I feel like I'm getting inspiration too often, and for almost nothing. I read some book - inspiration point. I convince someone in conversation, 2 characters are inspired - 2 more inspiration points... It comes so often that I grow numb to it and stop feeling rewarded by it.

I also get addicted to expecting success is mandatory in all rolls. There's no suspense of 'will I make this roll' when I know in advance that if I fail it I'll just reroll once or twice.

I think the game should be played (if you dont save scum) with some failures being forced on you, and still enjoying the game with those failures' results (i.e. no fail roll resulting in completely failed quest lines etc) I'm not sure if this is the case since I seldom see the result of failures.

O
apprentice
apprentice
O
I hope they don't make getting this more difficult. It's always been a welcome and unexpected surprise for me.

Otherwise, I'd have to follow some sort of strict guide or walkthrough and that would be boring to me.

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
IMO the game should be balanced around being able to use any party member for any group related check. So higher DCs but more options. Also inspiration is fine if you don't like it don't use it. Or let them join the modern era of CRPGs and allow custom difficulty like Owlcat does and have inspiration point caps be a part of that.

Link Copied to Clipboard