Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I actually really love all the companions, so kudos to Larian and the VAs for bringing them to life <3
If I had to put them in a ranking, it would be:

1. Minthara
2. Astarion
3. Karlach

I find it funny that Minthara is ranking so highly on my list despite having the least amount of content, but I think her character is just that good. Her and Astarion are both very complex characters with interesting backstories and their VAs also left the biggest impression on me, just very memorable voices overall. Also Karlach is just mwah, chef's kiss. Her response to trauma is something I can deeply relate with. She deserves all the love she's been getting and I hope they decide to expand on her down the line. For 4, I can't decide between Gale or Shadowheart. I love their designs, their respective character arcs, and both have the most beautiful romance scenes in the game:
out-of-body experience vs beach/in water scene.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Shadowheart, and it's not even close. I got emotionally invested into that character in a way that no other video game has matched.

Her build-up in act 1&2 is good. I do enjoy a bit of mystery in a character. It all led to an excellent climax in the shadowfell, this my favorite moment in the game. But the way her quest ended in the house of grief was something else. Coming back there to face a lifetime of abuse and manipulation, coming out victorious only to have her parents die anyway. I was already sad after that. But when the little long rest scene started playing where she was crying, it just absolutely gutted me. I put the game down for a week and went to touch some grass. It also inspired me to pick up my old guitar and learn to play some of the soundtrack (I can play the nightsong now :-D). I know she has a dark justiciar path as well, but I doubt I can ever bring myself to explore it. A cult trying to mindwipe and break you, and then failing because of sheer strength of character is both tragic and inspiriting at the same time. One of her lines near the end of act3 captures it perfectly. "It would have been so much easier just to turn into a monster". Yes, yes it would have been.

So, her story moved me and got me off my lazy ass to play guitar again. That has set a high bar.

I like both Lae'zel and Gale. Lae'zel has a strong-willed, no-nonsense practical attitude that you just must admire. While gale has some of the most articulate dialogue in the game, which I quite enjoy listening to.

Karlach and Wyll are fine. Although I must suspend my disbelief with Karlach significantly. I have a hard time understanding how someone with her backstory could act so cheery and naïve. As for Wyll, I would care for his story a lot more if he wasn't so damn arrogant.

That leaves only Astarion, which is the only origin character I cannot stand. I never gave him a chance to be fair, because I can't look past his cringe, edgy boy attitude. Whenever he speaks, I want to ram a stake through his ribs.

I'm not going to comment on the non-origin companions since I haven't explored them enough for my liking.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Astarion, because (1) he makes me laugh, and (2) he literally has more content than the other companions (except maybe Shadowheart?) so he feels more "alive." That being said, the other companions should have had an equal amount of content (thinking of poor Karlach and Wyll especially).

In terms of who I'd actually get along with IRL, Wyll definitely wins. That being said I like Lae'zel, Gale, and Minthara a lot. Shadowheart and I agree on basically everything but I don't find her that interesting (and they trashed
Viconia
to prop SH up so I'm bitter).

apprentice
apprentice
I think Astarion and Lae'zel are the best-written. I say this because my feelings on them improved the most as the game progressed.

Nonetheless, the companions I actually like the most are Wyll and Karlach, because their personalities appeal to me from start to finish. I love the content that they have, but I wish they would have as much content as the companions who get the most content.

apprentice
apprentice
1 - Gale
2 - Halsin
3 - Astarion

C
stranger
stranger
C
Shadowheart is my number 1. Then Karlach, with Lae'zel for 3rd.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Gale has been my favorite since early access.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
That is not Gale, that is Tara, his Tressym familiar. But that are things you don't know if you only romance Astarion all the time. :P wink

I have actually several companions that i like, for different reasons. But here i went with Gale. I may be a bit weird, but i just like to romance that charming nerd (if he isn't bugged again): laugh

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard