Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
My character has the Animal Speaking buff from a potion. Twice I've failed "Animal Handling" checks and have received no bonus from having the Buff active.

Talking to the baby spiders in the rock on top of the cliff. The narrator says that I attempt to speak to the spiders. Absolutely should have advantage if "speaking" is part of the test.
The sheep in the swamp also fail similarly although recognizing that the sheep can't speak "animal" is part of the roll. Should have advantage there too.

This would be consistent with the Elixir of the Colossus.

Last edited by JustMeHere; 10/08/23 12:15 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This basically amounts to arguing with your DM as to when they decide to give advantage or not.

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
This basically amounts to arguing with your DM as to when they decide to give advantage or not.
LOL, It literally said "you talk to them" so there should be some type of bonus for actually speaking their language. There are plenty of bugs in this game. Like being surprised by one of the two above when I attacked first. The Elixir of the Colossus grants a bonus for Strength checks. You have a chance to "add" the bonus to your roll even if you haven't taken it yet. Why not have the Animal Speaking potion do the same for consistency?

Last edited by JustMeHere; 10/08/23 12:14 AM.
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Forgot another place where Animal Speaking should have an influence on the roll or a chance to add as bonus to keep up with the Elixir.

Also should be an option to add this potion for the Ox at Waukeen's Rest

enthusiast
enthusiast
Speak with Animals doesn't modify rolls in 5e, why should it here? You are just making up rules at this point.

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Speak with Animals doesn't modify rolls in 5e, why should it here? You are just making up rules at this point.
If you drink the potion before my second post, the whole encounter goes different. I'm not trying to change rules. I should be given the option to pop the potion during the dialogue. My thing is playability.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
This basically is asking the fm.to be consistent and fair in their implementation of rules. Which is how games should be.

Link Copied to Clipboard