Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
These are my personal gripes about the design of the journal:

1. The drop down feature obscures my ability to find the quest i'm looking for. So i have click to everything one-by-one. Simple example - I knew there was something about finding 'Nightsong'. But it's tucked away under some other text about Nautiloid crash area. How am I supposed to know whether Nightsong is under Main, Personal, Companion, Nautiloid Crash Area or whatever....

2. The markers on the map don't describe the first sentences you see in the Journal. This is again partly related to the first point ie. tucking descriptions under other descriptions. For instance, my map marker says something about "Githyanki Creche". But in my journal, it's under Companion's Quest --> The Githyanki Warrior --> (something) Creche. So what I read on the map is tucked behind 2 other drop down descriptions. Which means that you can easily find it only if you remembered that this is Lae'zel's quest. If you didn't, you'll be having to click through your entire Journal wondering whether this is part of your main quest, personal quest, or just an location-specific quest (like Nightsong under Nautiloid crash area >.<)

3. I remembered having alot of trouble finding where the "Rescue Halsin" quest was, because that's what i can read on my map marker, but none of the main points in the journal immediately imply this.

Long story short, if my map says "Rescue Halsin", when i open up my journal, i want to see "Rescue Halsin" somewhere.

A good journal system:

Main Quest
-Find a Cure (already dropped down)
-Rescue Halsin (already dropped down)

A poor journal system:

Main Quest
-Find a Cure (need to click to read the description)
- Blah blah...........Halsin.....Goblin Camp.....blah blah

The above is just an example, so don't quote me verbatim, but this merely represents the experience I've been having with the journal

Last edited by MetricTensor; 11/08/23 02:58 AM.
veteran
veteran
It's not a champion in "readability" but I find that it mostly does its work in the rare cases I actually went looking for some info on it.
I wouldn't mind a revamp in how it looks/sorts things, but I'll admit that I'd put this pretty low on my priority list of parts of the UI I'd like to see improved.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/08/23 03:17 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Yeah, it's not a great system. It feels tight and weirdly unappealing. Also its pretty dull to look at. Having everything just stacked the way it is isn't especially intuitive.

Link Copied to Clipboard