Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mucki Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
At least as an option. Half the time I hear "Oh, i found a trap" voicelines followed by them immediately triggering the trap because they keep walking.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Hit the "turn based" key. Should be automatic, but at least this will help.

T
stranger
stranger
T
This would be great. Party members and friendly NPCs should either stop or recalculate their path.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As a toggle-able option it'd be great, not as a rule

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
S
stranger
stranger
S
when the trap was "detected" everyone should automatically avoid it by their automatic pathfinding for obvious reason, maybe a force walk option if you want to step on it by purpose.

veteran
veteran
It's a bit frustrating to have crpg staples from 20 years ago (stop moving on trap sighted, on enemy sighted, etc) be completely ignored. They wouldn't even need to pause, just STOP.

stranger
stranger
Also, can they not walk through cloud of daggers after the battle ends?

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
Yeah pathing is terrible in general, but this one is maddening.

addict
addict
First thing that annoyed me to no end at the beginning of EA over two years ago.
Surprised it's still a thing.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Does anyone else think this has got worse from Early Access? I'd felt that after some changes from the first few patches companions had got pretty decent at auto-pathing around hazards and traps (spells perhaps not so much), but I've had more problems in the full release than I recall having in the last couple of EA patches at least.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
It's a bit frustrating to have crpg staples from 20 years ago (stop moving on trap sighted, on enemy sighted, etc) be completely ignored. They wouldn't even need to pause, just STOP.
Yep.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Does anyone else think this has got worse from Early Access? I'd felt that after some changes from the first few patches companions had got pretty decent at auto-pathing around hazards and traps (spells perhaps not so much), but I've had more problems in the full release than I recall having in the last couple of EA patches at least.

MUCH worse. Quite often my party members trigger the traps during the perception check to find the trap.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Yes, please do this.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
It would just be natural if everyone would stop, as the person who found the trap would usualy shout: TRAP!!!!

I can't count how many times I've heard the "there's traps h... BOOM!"

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
What's really infuriating is when you give your trap springer the Dungeon Delver feat, make sure to separate them from everyone else, are able to see every last trap, but they still walk thru them because their pre-planned movement doesn't get stopped like it does in literally every other CRPG of this type. I honestly feel like I'm being trolled by the AI and/or developers at this point!

Last edited by Larathiel; 13/08/23 04:26 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Normally, I'm not the one to give praise to Larian, but I have to admit, now it feels like my party members do avoid traps / hazards as soon as they are discovered - at least the small ones, like gas vents. Haven't reached the tripwires yet, so can't tell (yes, I'm that slow).
However, I haven't touched EA for the last 1.5 years of it, so I don't know if it was any better in latest EA versions.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Same for toxic/similar spaces. NPCs chose to go through them.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
@RutgerF I can tell you that yesterday (Aug 12), my trap-spotter with Expertise in Perception, and the Dungeon Delver feat spotted all the tripwires, triggered a voice line saying something like, "Watch out, trap!" and then proceeded to continue on to where I'd first clicked instead of stopping or avoiding them. Ended up having to reload 3x because of them getting pancaked with no way for the rest of my party to reach them in time.

That said, when I was using the controller the day prior, party members were doing a good job of avoiding traps in Wither's tomb and another basement I was exploring. No clue if that means the detection function is more forgiving to users of controllers, or if it was the hotfix that came out in the interim that affected it. (I was specifically trying to learn the M&K controls yesterday so I'd be familiar with both methods, so I don't have a prior comparison point for the M&K behavior).

Last edited by Larathiel; 13/08/23 02:41 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I've just completed an area with lots of poison over the ground

in the Morgue near the House of Healing in the Shadow Cursed Lands

which I struggled a bit with as my companions wouldn't follow through the hazardous area and just stopped, so I had to manually keep moving them through it individually.

I do think there is code that should make companions navigate around traps or stop when they can't find a safe path, but it just only seems to work sometimes. I guess all we can do is report and hope that there are just some bugs that are leading to the problem that can be fixed.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
stranger
stranger
S
Wait till you get to "the wall" in grymforge LOL

I rolled back to back "1" to disarm, wiped my whole party out in one shot.

I agree... "stop moving the cleric saw the trap the thief missed, again!"

I have played online games since 1991 when Never Winter Nights was released on AOL... I KNOW my games... and I have known many many games since. So don't question my gaming experience it's longer then most of you have been alive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard