Print Thread
Page 40 of 93 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 92 93
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Cowoline
So, everyone:

What extra romance scenes would you like to see? I really want something with Yenna and the pets. That would be adorable! And I also think it could be a bonding moment for Halsin and the character to get closer to one another.

(I also have a questline idea for act 3, if anyone is interested.)

A scene where Tav meets Halsin in the area outside of Last Light Inn where you rescue Thaniel (the portal defense area), the two talk for a bit about everything that's happened so far and then Halsin just staring at them, realizing that this is when he fell in love with them.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I’d argue that it doesn’t necessarily preserve his personality because his personality itself was changed as fanservice lol. Halsin of EA and Act 1 was a far more interesting character than later Halsin.

I think the only situation that works at this point is a polite way of sending him back to the grove at the end of Act 2. And if not, there needs to be more of an active opt-in to his romance.

Preferences and lifestyle, we didn't know, so they shouldn't say something like that.
It was posted here, it was written exactly as it is, we know nothing of any changes.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 04:50 PM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
That is sadly a valid point, but as it stands I am trying to work with what is there now to find a compromise.

And did you read my answer?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Bann Duncan
I think the issue at the heart of talking about rewrites vs artistic integrity (and I say this as someone who always prefers author’s intent) is that the creepy Halsin companion of the game was not the original vision for the character. It was fanservice to horny fan requests.

I don’t know what the solution now is, because writing by committee and “listening to fans” usually backfires (the current state of Halsin is a testament to this) but the problem was created by the fans to begin with…

What’s looking to be the next “Act 3 Halsin” is the amount of people who are convinced that Minthara is actually a good guy and therefore she should be recruitable on a good path, even though if anything she is even more evil than an Absolute follower, lol.

Listen to the fans when it comes to gameplay balance, tech issues, etc–do not let them write the game!

Sorry but not everyone wanted Halsin just to be a fling besides Astarion or other companions - there are enough people who saw a (attractive too, yes) kind, mature and wise leader, someone to rely on and who would "fix us" and not we have to "fix him".

Of course people have been thirsty about him too, he is attractive, but this doesn't mean everyone just wanted him for sex only. Fans fell in love with him from how he was in act 1. So he got a bigger role due to the fans but to say it is the fans fault he is the way he is right now is just wrong. If Larian truly reads everything they know that.

Even him being poly wouldn't be that issue for me, but the ending totally is and him being so extreme horny and with this swinger mentality it just doesn't fit to my impression from him. Of course with 350 years you can expect him to have had his share of lovers, but it is one thing telling Tav about his stirring heart and then go on and want to have sex with the drow twins. And even worse if you don't even romance him.

So for 70 years during shadow curse he was fine with no sex and now I guess he needs to catch up? Fine, but telling Tav he/she is the only one for him isn't really fitting except for those who separate love and sex from each other.

Fine if people love him like he is - but I bet most of these romance Astarion or Shadowheart primary and have him be the casual fling next to them. It is a totally different experience compared to have him being the primary romance and only wanting him.

But you know what? I don't care anymore. I moved on but I feel sorry because he could have been a great romance and I feel like they ruined him.

We don't even know whether he was abstinent for that long.
The “most” complaints come because of the ending anyway, not because he is what he is.

If Halsin came back as a companion and romance in a later part, hardly anyone would say no, he is with Tav or one of the other companions!
As he is, it wouldn't be a problem for a later part.

stranger
stranger
Agreed, agreed and agreed.
Monkey's paw at its finest.
We got what we wanted, but at what cost? It's bad that it had to come to this discussion in the first place.
I wish for a better outcome, but truth be told I have no faith in a writing team who disingenuously made him poly/fan fodder just to appease the tumblr and reddit (funny sex treehugger woodstock bear guy) crowd.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Seho
We don't even know whether he was abstinent for that long.
The “most” complaints come because of the ending anyway, not because he is what he is.

If Halsin came back as a companion and romance in a later part, hardly anyone would say no, he is with Tav or one of the other companions!
As he is, it wouldn't be a problem for a later part.

Well, seeing that he doesn't want to start something (not even just for sex) with Tav due to him being busy with the shadowland curse and the grove having rarely visitors (as stated by a druid) it sounds possible. But yes, who knows. Doesn't even matter, but he keeps on saying he wants to deal with the curse first to concentrate and being free for Tav - but if it is just about sex why even bother.

People please! The suggestion is good, draw attention to this. Don't argue or discuss the mono thing.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EdaLee
People please! The suggestion is good, draw attention to this. Don't argue or discuss the mono thing.

What are you talking about?

Plenty of folks would outright prefer that he be monogamous. That's an issue for people.

And it harms other characters also because inserting a poly character is like a dorito: you can't have just one.

Personally, I don't want him in my camp at all.

stranger
stranger
Reading different threads about Halsin on this forum really sheds a different light on this whole topic.
So many people who don't romance him and have no intention of doing so are literally so disgusted and put off by his behaviour in Act 3 that they kill him off the earliest chance they get.
Crazy how nobody at Larian has addressed this so far. It's a visceral reaction from the majority of players. And this is completely ignoring the poly-mono-discussion.
I mean, shouldn't alarm bells start going off at this point?
I think it's worth mentioning that I romanced Halsin without engaging in any flirtation with other characters and I didn't get any sexual, odd or otherwise weird lines from Halsin at all. Matter of fact, he says nothing. Bug or intentional?

Many or not doesn't matter, he is what he is and that's why they come up with a compromise.

You have to be in a relationship with others, that's how Larian intended it to be.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seho
Many or not doesn't matter, he is what he is and that's why they come up with a compromise.

Things change during the creative process.

And compromise isn't necessarily good. If you want to kill ten babies, and I want to kill zero babies, killing five babies isn't a good compromise.

stranger
stranger
Larian didn't intend for me to be polyamorous, but I understand what you mean.
This is even worse because to me, he just looks totally monogamous. Without any interest in other people at all, not a peep. Which doesn't make any sense...
It's awful planning, really. Act 3 is pretty rough as it is.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Yatugul
Reading different threads about Halsin on this forum really sheds a different light on this whole topic.
So many people who don't romance him and have no intention of doing so are literally so disgusted and put off by his behaviour in Act 3 that they kill him off the earliest chance they get.
Crazy how nobody at Larian has addressed this so far. It's a visceral reaction from the majority of players. And this is completely ignoring the poly-mono-discussion.
I mean, shouldn't alarm bells start going off at this point?
I think it's worth mentioning that I romanced Halsin without engaging in any flirtation with other characters and I didn't get any sexual, odd or otherwise weird lines from Halsin at all. Matter of fact, he says nothing. Bug or intentional?

The issue is that you can't deny Halsin to join your camp or get rid of him with him being alive after the shadowcurse is lifted. You can't say no thank you, go back home to the grove. Larian needs to add this functionality. This is why people kill him off because he will flirt with a romanced Shadowheart and even try to sleep with her and the drow twins even if you are not in a romance / rejected him. People want their monogamous relationship with Shadowheart and suddenly she is totally horny for Halsin. Not sure if it is bug or working as intended but no wonder people start to hate Halsin as he is interferring with their romances.

I romanced Halsin too and rejected every other companions. Still I am bothered by the "relationship" (or not) dialog and him being overly eager to sleep with the drow twins ("more than interested") and making me wait until act 3 to drop this after all the flirts and hints after the curse he will be there for Tav and that Tav is so special... for me what breaks his romance appeal completely is the ending. No thank you. That he suddenly out of the blue starts to find shadow druid doctrine "reasonable" isn't helping either but that isn't the worst part.

Last edited by Cawyden; 05/10/23 05:57 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Doesn't that go against the whole "fluid" thing Halsin talked about?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Mizukun
Doesn't that go against the whole "fluid" thing Halsin talked about?

Well, for him fluid means he can fuck around how he pleases, but of course Tav has a special place in his heart, until the end, then he is "see you, or not, don't care, bye"

A lot or not, and no idea where to see it and what that means, I can't.
The game is out and so is he.

Page 40 of 93 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard