Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#879970 13/08/23 03:48 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Do you want a major expansion or DLC for BG3, or do you want Larian to move on to other games as soon as possible?

Expansion
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 13/08/23 03:48 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Given how long it took to make the game and the fact they haven't started an expansion...it's be like 2020 before we get one. I'd be down for some Cool DLC though and something for my pimped out level 12 characters to tackle. You get to level 12 really early Act 3 which is then doing quests and getting really cool equipment to progress your characters strength. But by the time you get it, there is very little to do with it.

Being an old gamer, I weep at the loss of expansion. Those were the days, when an expansion would add more than just skin and bobbles for the price we pay.

*Sniff*

I would love an expansion personally, but I also wouldn't hold it against them if they decided that they just gonna move to DOS games. As long as they keep making fun games that I can play, I'll be happy.

veteran
veteran
Yes, an expansion and/or major dlc please! approvegauntlet

Last edited by Icelyn; 13/08/23 05:16 PM.
And hopefully, something a bit bigger than Throne of Bhaal was. I mean it was big back then, but things changed since then as well. BG2 was 4Go in size lol in comparison to how big is BG3.

W
veteran
veteran
W
We know Larian are looking at working on three smaller projects and none of them are an expansion, so I’d say such a release is unlikely.

I would love a spin off, though. Larian have all the assets from making this game. Reuse them! Maybe some sort of dungeon crawler. Something a bit like Icewind Dale, with no companions, less focus on story (but still has a story), and more about combat. Would be quicker to make than a full game and would satisfy a bit of the expansion desire. I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I find the prospect of not continuing the experience in BG3 or never getting another game like BG3... annoying.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Bg2 has as much content as bg3. Combat is slower in bg3 though. Bg2 is huge.

Tob was a great size fir an expansion.

veteran
veteran
I voted no.

I don't particularly enjoy just adding more challenging fights and areas as DLC, and most games tend to add content to the end of the game, or at the point where the player is at their most powerful. I enjoy having DLC that either alters future playthroughs (think Cyberpunk 2077's upcoming DLC) but changing the main game as well as maybe adding in content that isn't necessarily max level stuff. Most people just want more and more powercreep and I'm not really as much into that with this type of game.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I voted no.

I don't particularly enjoy just adding more challenging fights and areas as DLC, and most games tend to add content to the end of the game, or at the point where the player is at their most powerful. I enjoy having DLC that either alters future playthroughs (think Cyberpunk 2077's upcoming DLC) but changing the main game as well as maybe adding in content that isn't necessarily max level stuff. Most people just want more and more powercreep and I'm not really as much into that with this type of game.
Were I not merciful I would slice the skin clean from your meat.
But I am nothing, if not merciful.

old hand
old hand
As much as I would enjoy higher level spells all the way to level 9, Larian looks like they would only make the evocation spells good and consider anything else too broken.

'At spell levels 7+, players become godlike' ... tbh not really if mass hold had the same success as regular hold, and other such spells only lasted 2 turns.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Players wuth spell levels dint become godlike. The person who says that (,I know who it was) prives they don't know, understand, or like dnd. Espicially since in 5e yiu don't even get that many high level spell slots.

veteran
veteran
The engine and it's assets should be used for something new in Forgotten Realms.

An expansion to BG3 could work, maybe. But the standards they have for the companions are very high. How to continue their stories from BG3 ending?

What I would like is smaller new adventure modules. With less cinematics and voice acting. Something faster to produce with a multiplayer focus. No big companion storylines or infinitely branching storylines. Just a module for 4 players to play through together. Or single player where you create all 4 characters.

It would be cool if someone would license the engine to make Icewind Dale 3 or a Dragonlance game.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by 1varangian
The engine and it's assets should be used for something new in Forgotten Realms.

An expansion to BG3 could work, maybe. But the standards they have for the companions are very high. How to continue their stories from BG3 ending?

What I would like is smaller new adventure modules. With less cinematics and voice acting. Something faster to produce with a multiplayer focus. No big companion storylines or infinitely branching storylines. Just a module for 4 players to play through together. Or single player where you create all 4 characters.

It would be cool if someone would license the engine to make Icewind Dale 3 or a Dragonlance game.

It could be a good idea, one or two 100 hours expansion Icewind Dale Style, so you can reach 20 level, no default companions with storyline, you create your party from scratch. In the DLC Larian corrects all bugs players are finding in the game and apply the best ideas we provide here in the forum.

Then BG4 (with ray tracing, DLSS 3/4, night and day and so on).

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Didn't Swen outright say an expansion was extremely unlikely due to spells being OP and/or difficult to manage in a video game between lvl13-20 in 5e?

I'd rather see them expand on what is already there. Add some new equipment, possibly new companions, or more Dark Urge like origins. I think that sort of thing is more likely, but I think there is a long ways to go. They are still working on the PS5 version and addressing the numerous bugs in the PC release (I still crash about once an hour, if not more). There's also story content that should/could be tidied up some.

If they did, several of the characters have direct ties to Avernus, might be interesting to see some tie in to the Blood War possibly?
It could be a continuation of the ending for some of the characters already

Shinook #880613 14/08/23 03:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Shinook
Didn't Swen outright say an expansion was extremely unlikely due to spells being OP and/or difficult to manage in a video game between lvl13-20 in 5e?
Did he really? Man they are so stubbornly set in their ways that combat needs to be exactly A and B, and never X.

Here I thought they liked OP stuff that makes players feel good. And when it's presented to them on a silver platter by the actual ruleset, they refuse it.

The only thing missing from BG3 is Long Rest being a meaningful power limiting core game mechanic. After carefully saving your only 7th level spell slot, launching a well placed Reverse Gravity to turn the tide of a boss fight would feel amazing. Gluing the bosses little minions to the ceiling while you deal with him alone. Or deal with some invulnerable creatures by reversing gravity under them. Resist this.

If they could only open their minds to challenges beyond the current encounter instead of designing them as individual little puzzles that have to be played exactly like they planned it. All this talk about systemics and player freedom, but when it comes to combat you will be burning webs under the spider queen or pulling lava valves to make Grym vulnerable exactly like they planned you would.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
No 9th level dnd spell can match the power if an exploding barrel. Lol Dos 1, Dos 2, and BG 3 proves this fact.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Did he really? Man they are so stubbornly set in their ways that combat needs to be exactly A and B, and never X.

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-expansion-interview/

I should've linked it before. He didn't say it was impossible, but it's also likely they haven't put much thought into it beyond looking at what spells/abilities were available from lvl12 onward, deciding on 12 as the cap, then running with that. Seems like something that they could put some more thought in and work around, but being so close to release, they don't want to commit to it.

Shinook #880701 14/08/23 04:45 PM
old hand
old hand

I'd rather see them expand on what is already there. Add some new equipment, possibly new companions, or more Dark Urge like origins. I think that sort of thing is more likely, but I think there is a long ways to go. They are still working on the PS5 version and addressing the numerous bugs in the PC release (I still crash about once an hour, if not more). There's also story content that should/could be tidied up some.

If they did, several of the characters have direct ties to Avernus, might be interesting to see some tie in to the Blood War possibly?
It could be a continuation of the ending for some of the characters already

Its not even a valid excuse given how many previous DnD game already have that content and go up to 9th level spells. Plenty of games based on 3.0 ruleset with level 30 cap (NVN2, DDO), prior ones (BG1 - NWN1) went up to level 40.

And the thing simply is those spells are simply fun to play with. Overpowered or not, the caster combat in BG2 remains the best implementation of DnD spells ever implemented in agame - if it could be done in such an old game, what are the excuses it can't be done today?

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 14/08/23 04:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
I would love to see some aspects of the game revamped (first in place its frankly dreadful inventory system) and I wouldn't say no to some bonus content over time, but I'm not sure I would enjoy a straight expansion adding a bunch of levels and a couple of extra areas.

I'd probably prefer to see the studio dive immediately in the development of their next D&D game (because I just can't bring myself to care for the Divinity one) leveraging a lot of the systems and assets they already have in place.

Last edited by Tuco; 14/08/23 05:01 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard