Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Durghan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Larian had a chance to improve inventory management forever and they squandered it. A few things I would love to have are;

1. Lock gold to the top left cell. It doesn't need to move anywhere else during sorting.
2. Lock all bags, or give me the choice for each, to the top two rows or individually in a given position I choose.
3. Either allow me to rename bags, or make bags of different types to hold different things.
4. Have items automatically sort into different bags on pickup.

I'd be very happy with these sorts of changes. Happier if I could Trading as my default purchase method at a vendor, but that's for a different wishlist...

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Man how nice the inventory management would be if you could pin and rename bags.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Den Beuteln Namen geben wäre für mich genug und schön.

Was sich abschalten lässt ist ein Feature, was nicht ein Bug.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Find it fairly annoying gold being heavy have to break it in to piles and send it around the party because my charisma char struggled to hold everything, fortunately potions of hill giant can alleviate some of the pain but yeah its gross really

Food ahould auto go to camp and be useable from camp , same for alchemicals should go in to a bag of holding and make them weightless, half the time the auto bags dont work

Same for junk items with no use like scraps of paper forks plates micromanagement of your inventory is fairly annoying all the junk should auto become wares and anything you dump in your wares bag of holding should become weighhtless

dealing with inventory weight is stupid and should be removed when you can just teleport every item to camp, remove a step and let us mange things from our bag so we dont have to have one person in camp passing junk to the shop.

S
stranger
stranger
S
That would be a nice change but for me the main problem is the amount of time we spend in right click objects one by one then the slide appears (slowly) and then click on the slide options that you choose to send it to camp or to another companion, mark it as trash, drop it or throw it for every single item all the time with a lot of objects (every 5 to 20 min) through the whole game, for me an easy solution would be a hotkey for each option without a mandatory use of the slide.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Sweethai
That would be a nice change but for me the main problem is the amount of time we spend in right click objects one by one then the slide appears (slowly) and then click on the slide options that you choose to send it to camp or to another companion, mark it as trash, drop it or throw it for every single item all the time with a lot of objects (every 5 to 20 min) through the whole game, for me an easy solution would be a hotkey for each option without a mandatory use of the slide.

You can multi select items, though. Ctrl + click for individual items, or click one then shift + click to select all the items in between; then you can send/set to wares all of them at once.

I agree though that the right click menu animation is frustrating, would be much better to pop in the menu instantly.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Find it fairly annoying gold being heavy have to break it in to piles and send it around the party because my charisma char struggled to hold everything, fortunately, potions of hill giant can alleviate some of the pain but yeah its gross really

I agree with this post, but you guys had enough gold to be too heavy? TT TT I was so poor my whole playthrough.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by shrug1234
Find it fairly annoying gold being heavy have to break it in to piles and send it around the party because my charisma char struggled to hold everything, fortunately, potions of hill giant can alleviate some of the pain but yeah its gross really

I agree with this post, but you guys had enough gold to be too heavy? TT TT I was so poor my whole playthrough.

I gave my gnome Sorc gloves of dex, and put one of his level up perks in stealth proficiency and lockpicking combineing that with the ilithid Fly, and level 1 fog spell, there was nothing in game I couldn't steal, i had more gold and items to sell then what I new what to do with.

stranger
stranger
I agree with most said here. Compared to how well made most things are in BG3, im shocked how bad the inventory system is.

Some thoughts I had. Make the item slightly bigger (20-25%).
Get rid of the 2 click category ( click arrow, click category).
Instead it should be a row of icons representing each category.
When viewing all items and sorting by type, add some kind of separator for each category.

Had some more ideas during play, but can't recall other for now.

veteran
veteran
Well, since this is a recurring topic I'll just cut and paste what I wrote recently about it:

We should try to redact a clear list of the issues with the current inventory and maybe suggest some REALISTIC fixes that wouldn't involve a complete re-do (which is not going to happen, let's be real).

For instance:

- "Category filters" being a drop down menu rather than a series of buttons/shortcut is BAD.
- Some categories are obviously missing.
- "stacking items" seem to come in variations that do not stack properly for no sensible reason (i.e. Javelins that pile up on a single tile vs the ones that don't). Same thing happen for a whole variety of items.
- The "category bags" should not move around when you change the sorting criteria of your inventory...
- ...And sorting criteria should "auto-refresh" rather than ask you to re-select the filter over and over.
- "Category bags" should also WORK PROPERLY. Why it is that if take items from the ground they get sorted in the appropriate bags, but if I pass them around between companions they don't?
- Why don't we have "category bags" for books and for magic scrolls? two of the most common items in the game.
- EVERYTHING that has no other purpose rather than being a sellable (aka "vendor trash") should be automatically flagged at "Wares" for the vendor interface. Vaguely "metagame-y" maybe, but in a game where inventory management is a CHORE it would be a godsend.
- The disparity of filtering options between the Trade and Barter windows make no sense.
- Since the game FINALLY started to use the highest attitude score for the entire party when interacting with a vendor, there are even less reasons than before for forcing the player to reset their bartering offer when switching characters.

Personally if it was up to me I'd be in favor of an UNIFIED inventory for the entire party (or in case of multiplayer for all characters controlled by a specific player) and then having a limited number of slots "ready for use" in the character's "utility belt" that become the only thing they can use in combat (at least at higher difficulties, you could remove the restriction for Story mode)... But since this is far more subjective and an extensive change in how things work, I'm adding it here as a footnote rather than as part of the list of objective flaws.

Last edited by Tuco; 14/08/23 09:34 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Find it fairly annoying gold being heavy have to break it in to piles and send it around the party because my charisma char struggled to hold everything, fortunately potions of hill giant can alleviate some of the pain but yeah its gross really

Food ahould auto go to camp and be useable from camp , same for alchemicals should go in to a bag of holding and make them weightless, half the time the auto bags dont work

Same for junk items with no use like scraps of paper forks plates micromanagement of your inventory is fairly annoying all the junk should auto become wares and anything you dump in your wares bag of holding should become weighhtless

dealing with inventory weight is stupid and should be removed when you can just teleport every item to camp, remove a step and let us mange things from our bag so we dont have to have one person in camp passing junk to the shop.
I think sending food to camp automatically is a good idea, but the Aspect of Chimpanzee needs to throw camp supplies, so it won't really work for them.

I agree a loot bag that auto-converts junk to wares would be pretty cool. However, I disagree they should just remove inventory weight.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Also agree with these especially improvements to bags.
Why not just have a fixed wares bag on each character - similar to the ingredients bag.
All things marked as wares immediately move here.
Having the ability to say all 'x' goes in bag 'y' would be awesome, especially if you can rename that bag. So each character can have a bag to take potions, one for scrolls, one for wares, one for gems and trinkets, one for bombs and grenades say just to remove all the clutter. Can move things from here if they want - just like ingredients bag works - its just a default - oh joy!

Link Copied to Clipboard