Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
When a playable character dies, they get saving throws, followed by the ability to resurrect them.

When an allied NPC like
Isobel or Hope
gets their hp down to zero, they die instantly.

1. that hardly seems fair.

2. It can happen way too easily. for me both of these died in the very first turn of combat, to strong attacks from just one main enemy.

3. It had huge consequences for the entire campaign, changing the course of events.

The result of these, is that I felt a strong need to reload and try again, thus making me feel like I'm cheating - but the alternative was too much.

I suggest when all npcs are downed, they should get death saves, with the chance to be helped, followed by a few turns in which they can be revived. I realize protecting them is a part of the challenge in these fights but it's hard enough with death saves, if enemies do try to execute downed entities.

A
stranger
stranger
A
+1 to the NPCs you mentioned. First time I
tried to protect Isobel she got knocked out within about 2 rounds and I failed the bit to save her, because everything spawned super close to her and I didn't have a chance to do much.
Felt pretty BS, so I reloaded the save and the second attempt for whatever reason it played out much more fairly.

I also have another NPC to add to the "made of toothpicks and bubblegum" list. Be aware that knowing the spoiler may save you significant headache as this character *can* be kept alive, but only if you do a specific thing. If you don't, they have no chance in hell of surviving for a pretty dumb reason.
Jaheira for whatever reason has next to no spells attuned despite her being a high level full caster. If you don't talk to her prior to the Moonrise assault and ask her to come with you, she will go as an uncontrolled NPC and get herself killed within the first few rounds of combat because she basically has no way of defending herself. The only realistic way to have her survive the fight is to ask her to join you so in the fight she's an NPC under your control, and then just have her hang far back away from the action.

Last edited by Azareis; 16/08/23 10:21 PM.
veteran
veteran
In my playthrough
Isobel
went down so fast I thought it was a scripted scene that was supposed to happen like that. Apparently they did change that in a hotfix to be less likely to happen.

But I'm almost more annoyed by the fact that as a consequence,

Dammon died before I even knew he was the only NPC that would craft all the Infernal Alloy lying around everywhere. The game suggested Isobel is a priority so that's what I did first in the Last Light, and then all the other NPC's died before I could even talk to them.

And it is annoying that Revivify doesn't work on an NPC that just died. Especially when they have the habit of running straight into Cloud of Daggers after combat.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Good news: Isobel got her HP buffed in latest hotfix.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
In my playthrough in these fights:

In Isobel's fight the attacker emphasizes before the fight that they need her alive, creating an expectation for them to be gentle with her. Then they proceed to throw all their firepower on killing her.
I too thought it was scripted too till I was given the message that Karlach quest failed due to Dammon's death.

In Raphael's fight, I had to save-reload 5-6 times whenever a soul charge was used on Hope - it does 20d6~70 fire damage, followed by a 6d6~21 extra proc immediately after before you get your turn, this killed Hope from full 93 hp. Eventually Raphael happened to target my character, who is fire resistant instead and I could finish the fight with her alive.
Just now I'm thinking maybe I could have given Hope fire resistance somehow (not sure if the UI lets you have her drink a potion, else having someone concentrate on protection from energy seems too expensive, but also possible)

While these particular encounters could be retuned, as well as a few other problematic cases, the problem with NPC dying -> reload or 'fail the whole quest' is much more persistent and indeed happened to me with
Mayrina, Jahera, Halsin
and more. The game should be more forgiving to allow honest (no savescum) successful playthoughs.

veteran
veteran
Good point how the

Isobel fight is set up.

In hindsight, I also thought it would be a "they have to go through me first" kind of situation. But I didn't even get an attack of opportunity

when they flew off with her after focus firing her in the first round.

So the mechanics of it got me by surprise. Would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating.

S
stranger
stranger
S
That
Isobel
fight is so bad too as multiplayer.
Once you start the convo it launches right into the fight so if the other player is not standing in the room it's a guaranteed loss.
I was pissed when this happened. It's the only time I have actively cursed Larian out. It's that bad as the ramifications are insanely deep.

Yeah, Just as 1varangian said.
The Isobel fight was ridiculous. Isobel went down so fast the first time I tried that fight I thought it was scripted. And I found it extra confusing when Marcus first said to me that his instructions where clear, take Isobel to Ketheric alive. I know Larian said to roll with your failures. But when the game acts like this I have no issues savescumming.

But, as stated, at least she has been buffed now.

Last edited by Peranor; 19/08/23 07:55 AM.
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
The fight in the Last Light was really tough when I attempted it; Isobel will heal herself but she has to survive until her turn to be able to do that, I too needed a second attempt because my party was very poorly positioned when initiative was rolled so I just couldn't help her enough in the first round.

It's one of the big problems in BG3 compared to actual D&D; firstly BG3 has a habit of throwing enemies at you that are every bit as strong as your own party, but there's always more than four of them, so action economy is usually against you, even with allies. This makes many fights tough as nails even on "balanced" difficulty, unless you know what to expect. So going back to a save game for a do-over is very much a legitimate strategy, because far too often I've been ambushed only to watch helplessly as my party members are bonus action shoved to instant deaths or other BS like stun blasts during a surprise round etc. that your average DM wouldn't pull on you.

This isn't helped by the fact that uncontrollable allies in BG3 are completely suicidal.

In Act 2:
Jaheira is another one I had to go back to a previous save over when attacking Moonrise towers, because I had Wyll cast Hungry Hungry Hadar (Hunger of Hadar) for some immediate control/area damage, but Jaheira just ran straight into it to get surrounded by the toughest group of enemies in there and immediately killed. Fortunately my Gale had learned Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, so when I tried again I wrapped her up in an invincible hamster ball and got stuck in (having lost a round of fireball thanks to her), and I'm glad I did because she is such an important NPC in Act 3 (you'll miss out on some of the best content in that act without her).

In Act 3:
There's a similar problem when you go to the Steel Watch Foundry; saving the Gondians is near impossible without preparing specifically for it (lasts of haste effects, maybe dimension door so you can save them from themselves), because they seem determined to get themselves killed. One who had already been hit twice by steel watchers actually misty stepped in order to chase one of them, moving himself away from any hope of being healed, then when I miraculously managed to bring it down he decided that maybe the giant red circle of death indicating an imminent self-destruct seemed a lovely spot to plant himself so he could be blasted into a pile of mush. I mean WTF?

Unless there are some major allied AI improvements coming to help them behave like they actually want to be alive, it would be better if allied NPCs were put under player control; those that are recruited by speaking to them should be given to whoever spoke to them, anyone rolled in randomly should be distributed evenly.

Last edited by Haravikk; 19/08/23 10:34 AM.
S
S
In my game both of them did not regenerate hp after battle so in the next battle they started with half HP.

Link Copied to Clipboard