Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Thalion Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
SPOILERS ahead in this feedback.

After completing a fairly stereotypical "good" playthrough of this fantastic game, I was actually shocked at how tone deaf Astarion's scene post-final boss was. For reference, my Astarion rejects the Rite of Profane Ascension and let the spawn go free in the Underdark. The scene I am referring specifically to is where he suddenly becomes vulnerable to the sun again, panics, and runs away yelling. Wyll makes some quip about never seeing him again and him never seeing the sun again. This happens mere moments after a very cathartic (and apparently false) "realization" that the aftermath of the tadpoles left him with his sunlight resistance. The tone of the scene seemed to play it as a joke to me.

I have two grievances with this scene narratively, and they are not equal in weight. The first is preference - it feels very fairy messed up to m, as the player, to pull the rug out from under Astarion after literally adding in dialogue that would give a plausible narrative reason for him to remain invulnerable to the sunlight. This is especially frustrating because it feels like it would be a good moral reward to him for overcoming his desire for power and instead embracing true freedom. His soul is free from Cazador's ownership and now his body is free from (mostly) the curse of being a vampire. This seems far more satisfying to me as a story - and I probably wouldn't feel so cheated if they didn't seem to intentionally start to go that route, only to pull back into a joke.

I'm aware the above is my personal preference for storytelling. While I think it makes a better story (and weirdly seemed to be almost written in?), if that is not Larian's vision for the character, that is fine. If Larian thinks that the price of him rejecting that power is that he must continue to live as a regular vampire spawn, that is a reasonable and realistic (if bittersweet) take on the character's story.

My second grievance is that, given the apparent vision for his character in that ending, the entire scene of him panicking and running inside, never to be seen again, feels like it was written to be a joke. This feels like such a slap in the face to his entire story of being an abuse victim and survivor, who chose to forgo the safety of absolute power in order to not harm other abuse victims. If you want him to be punished with the cold reality of living as a vampire spawn, that is fine. Please treat the fact that he will never have a normal life, will constantly be an outcast on the edge of society despite his newfound freedom, with the same gravitas as the rest of his story. It can be bittersweet, it can be painful, but it feels exceedingly disrespectful for it to be treated as a joke in his final moments on screen.

It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I reached out to friends who also finished the game with a similar journey for Astarion. Each one also felt like that scene seemed to be written with the intent of being a joke, and each one felt like it undermined the gravity of his struggle.

I think there are generally issues around the companion endings (honestly, some of them feel like they were written by different people than who wrote their questlines). I know Karlach is a popular complaint due to feeling incomplete. I hope Larian sees these complaints and perhaps reworks some of these final scenes, or provides a short epilogue in the future. With Astarion, it feels like they wrote a fantastic ending for him, only to yank back the leash for a punchline rather than a look at how far he has come.

And that does not feel satisfying.

PS to Mods: If this thread needs to be moved to Story & Character Discussion, please let me know and I will do so. My thought was more around the suggestion/feedback that a particular scene should be reworked, but I could see an interpretation that this is in the incorrect space.

Last edited by Thalion; 22/08/23 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding PS to mods, added spoiler tags
apprentice
apprentice
I romanced Astarion, so I did get to see him again, but I also have a couple qualms with how his ending was handled.

1. He should've drank Cazador and become a full vampire. This means still vulnerable to sun and all, but no longer a spawn. I was *certain* it would happen this way, it only made sense, and it would've been more satisfying if he did that instead of just stabbing Cazador. I much more enjoyed the scene where I let him ascend (I tried both ways to see which way he seem happier, lol) and he did get an actual revenge on Cazador that lasted long enough for him to get his catharis - if you don't know, he gets to carve the same symbol on Cazador's back as he had carved on his. I'd like to see him, in the non-ascension route, to have the option to drink from him instead.

2. After he's burned in the sun and starts running, I'd *really* like the choice of "Run after Astarion" to go and make sure he's okay. There, in some shadow or sewer, or whatever, to have the heart-to-heart with him (as a friend or as a lover) about his future. I really did miss the chance to try and cheer him up in such a pivotal moment. Seeing him "some time after" in some random place wasn't quite it, the moment has lost its dramatism and weight. It could even be an interesting place to ask him to turn you so you can go be vampires together in one dark hole or another. But that'd require #1 to be fixed first (I say fixed cause I genuinely was shocked it didn't go that way, not drinking Caza was illogical!).

I do believe him losing the ability to be in the sun works for his story, but it should be played differently. And not getting to go after him and having any talk if you're not romancing him? That'd make me so sad frown I hope it gets expanded.

enthusiast
enthusiast
2. would require an ending where you actually talk to all your companions though? I had Astarion in my party the whole time, I finished his quest with
completing the ritual and him becoming a super vampire
but in the end of the game dock scene, I never got a single bit of dialogue with him. Just RNG comments that mean nothing. I'm glad yous got an ending scene for him, but I guess because I never romanced him? All I got in many re-rolls of the scene was reaction lines to something Minthara or Minsc said.

Unless the game actually changes to include a conversation scene 100% guaranteed for every companion, 2. would still be more than the game is willing to give companions?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Starshine
2. would require an ending where you actually talk to all your companions though? I had Astarion in my party the whole time, I finished his quest with
but in the end of the game dock scene, I never got a single bit of dialogue with him. Just RNG comments that mean nothing. I'm glad yous got an ending scene for him, but I guess because I never romanced him? All I got in many re-rolls of the scene was reaction lines to something Minthara or Minsc said.

Unless the game actually changes to include a conversation scene 100% guaranteed for every companion, 2. would still be more than the game is willing to give companions?

I mean, yes, of course, but for a game this long and this focused on companions, I personally think a chat with every companion at the end should be an absolute must laugh That it isn't there is a heartbreak!

-

I finished my game with Gale, Karlach and Astarion, and I did get to at least wish Gale and Karlach good luck, tell Gale something about his plans, and then had the romance ending with Astarion, so I guess I was mercifully spared from having any of my "core team" just throwing a one-liner and vanishing.

But, honestly? That's still no bueno. I would like to exchange a few *meaningful* words with all of them, I did their personal quests, had many chats. It rang hollow as it ended. They should ask "and what will you do?" and let you reply, throw in a snarky comment, or maybe relate to some quest you've done or didn't do. Perhaps even let you suggest to stick together for some more adventuring or tavern crawling or whatever else. It would go such a long way.

Act 1 had a better, fuller ending than the entire game frown

enthusiast
enthusiast
I loved Act 1's end and really expected each act to have an ending like it, where you can touch base with all the major players and then that the end would have an even bigger but but instead only act 1 got one

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
M
M
It was pretty much tasteless, presented like a joke and none of the companions on Tav even tries to help him. Sort of maybe fits if you took him along as an evil but necessary evil, but if you tried to earn his trust it is bad, tasteless and quite tone deaf as OP says.

apprentice
apprentice
Yes, 100% the worst part was not getting to run after him frown

We. Need. Act3 party!

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Reverie
Originally Posted by Starshine

I mean, yes, of course, but for a game this long and this focused on companions, I personally think a chat with every companion at the end should be an absolute must laugh That it isn't there is a heartbreak!

Agreed, I would've been ok with a text or slide show for a proper epilogue.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I had the same reaction to it. Was very poorly done and set up considering all the masterful scenes throughout the game for him.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Absolutely agree, I can pass the bad endings I got for all my other characters, 'cause I made a lot of evil choices along the way so they felt like a direct response to all the bad I'd done. But Astarion I actually had make all the right choices, he has so much good boi development only to be treated as the butt of a joke in the final cutscene. He did everything right, he saved the other thralls, didn't do the ritual, and genuinely grew a lot as a person. His ending was not justified at all and I really hope in the future we can at least have an epilogue where we can wander around and see the state of the world and maybe find him, really his ending felt like that's exactly what we were supposed to have

addict
addict
Come on Astarion fan, push Larian to make more honorable ending for Astarion.

I agree that it's seems to... stupid that one ending is.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
veteran
veteran
I thought it was funny, but then again, I see Astarion as a joke, so it fits for me. If you take him seriously, then yea, that would be frustrating, and I can totally understand wanting something different.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, I hated that scene, especially when they top it off with a callous joke (some companions make jokes, others have more compassionate things to say). We really have no idea what his future is - the others give us some idea of their plans in conversations prior to this scene, but not him. Poor guy.

veteran
veteran
I had Astarion in my end boss party, romanced him, both ways, and never saw this scene. How'd I miss it?

+1 for Mass Effect Citadel sort of DLC - would also gladly pay for that

enthusiast
enthusiast
Agree. Lots of people talking about Karlach, but Astarion had much worse treatment IMO.

All they really had to do was have a character throw a clock over him and help inside or something. Just to show they gave a crap. In my play through, most other companions said they were proud of him for giving up the power at the end of his story arc.

#justiceforastarian

Last edited by Dagless; 26/08/23 04:12 PM.
old hand
old hand
If only we could find the Cloak of Dragomir somewhere...

Incidentally, what happens in that scene to

player characters who have sunlight sensitivities? Particularly ones who are also spawn? Nothing?

apprentice
apprentice
Agreed with OP. I had Astarion in my party for the whole playthrough, non-romance, and got the same ending having done exactly the same choices before. It felt like cheap joke. And that you would just stand there "oh well, good riddance" is pretty weird. Sad ending for an otherwise moving story and character.

@Starshine, seems that your ending was sadly bugged. I got a chat with everyone who was in my group: Karlach, Astarion and Shadowheart (romance). And on top of this with Gale, my fellow Wizard, for some reason, but which was probably the most interesting of all of those.

apprentice
apprentice
There is a book in the Cazador's house that mentions vampirism as a disease and it can be cured by blood transfusion, could this be a hidden quest? or deceit.
It is sad that for the merciful act of the astarion they are punished by the deprivation of the sun.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Akorolin
There is a book in the Cazador's house that mentions vampirism as a disease and it can be cured by blood transfusion, could this be a hidden quest? or deceit.
It is sad that for the merciful act of the astarion they are punished by the deprivation of the sun.

I saw that, and wondered about that as well as the book of thay.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard