Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Completely agree that If Larian fixes/improves on act 3 this may well be one of the greatest CRPG games ever made.

At this point my take also is very similar:

Act 1 : 100%
Act 2 : 90~95%
Act 3 : 70%<
And that is still being very nice towards act 3. It does not hold to act 1's quality and reactions.
I really much hope that Larian will further work on this act, maybe merging it skillfully with some extra DLC content, to really give us the full package that this game deserves to become legendary.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 27/08/23 09:09 AM. Reason: Added spoiler reminder to thread title

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
I am dreading diving deeper into act3. Played a bit, and so far it's been my favourite part of BG3. It finally starts feeling like a BG game - a world, that feels like it exists outside the PC existence, with bunch of interesting little threads to follow, that are likely to tie together in the end - finally having ties to the originals doesn't hurt either. I was very gleeful to run into
shapeshifters
. Now, so far act3 has been fairly aimless, which is at odds with how dire things seem to be plot wise, but I honestly stopped caring about the plot sometime into act2. Speaking of which, I really didn't like act2, and feel it would be better if it was mostly cut from the game. I will probably get around to compiling my full thoughts on the game sometime later once I manage to finish it.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Regarding Act 3 I'll have to put it in a spoiler as my last post was edited when i mentioned this.

Larian have a bit of a track record of starting strong and finishing poor, DOS2 and it's final act is a good example, my guess is that the reason for act 3 being so poor is due to the removal of the upper city very late into development, as someone mentioned elsewhere Swen said it was playable 2 weeks before the launch of the game, they didn't provide citation but if the guy comes here I'm sure he can offer a source. The upper city was mentioned as being playable in the community update 19 on steam 2 months before the games release, it also supposedly broke Karlach's quest and ending to which was her good happy ending, the game treats Karlach as if the player ignored her and didn't try to help currently.

We don't know what went on internally that lead to them cutting parts of act 3 so very late into development as Larian have been in radio silence regarding it. The good news is despite act 3 not being good there's a very high chance they will fix it in a definitive edition as they did for DOS2s final act, the downside is it'll take up to a year to see it if we follow their past trends.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I don’t understand the love Act 2 gets. I thought the character development for our companions and the supporting NPCs left much to be desired, I thought the exploration was limited, and I thought the Sharran Temple fights were uniformly disappointing. Also the plot felt convoluted.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I don’t understand the love Act 2 gets. I thought the character development for our companions and the supporting NPCs left much to be desired, I thought the exploration was limited, and I thought the Sharran Temple fights were uniformly disappointing. Also the plot felt convoluted.
I think Act 2 is great so far (almost finished it)!

Things I love:
  • Great quest for Halsin, and he can finally join the party!
  • I love the environmental theme of the Shadow Curse questline!
  • Jaheira
  • Quests and conversations with npcs from Act 1
  • Creepy atmosphere is a good contrast to other areas

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Things I love:
  • Jaheira
I’ll give you those points, but I think it’s just weaker than 1 or early Act 3.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
addict
addict

Things I love:
  • Jaheira

Jaheira (and her recruitment) was the highlight of Act 2. Though let's be honest, she would have been just as good if she would have been in Act 1.

The whole lifting the shadow curse questline was pretty cool, I'll give you that.
Another part that I liked was the Shar temple (except for most of the combat) and that it was so closely tied to Shadowheart

However...

[*]Act 2 has very little in terms of actual reactivity
[*]Exploration was, as Zerubbabel already mentioned, incredibly limited
[*]I hated the Thorm family "mini-bosses" as they totally reminded me of D:OS 2 and felt out of place in a D&D game
[*]Recruiting Halsin comes relatively late (and is easy to miss)

I definitely prefer it to Act 3 though but Act 2 doesn't even remotely compare to Act 1 when it comes to writing, reactivity and exploration.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kendaric
  • Recruiting Halsin comes relatively late (and is easy to miss)
True!

It would have been great if both Halsin and Jaheira could have been companions from Act 1!

veteran
veteran
I don’t understand the love Act 2 gets.

Things I love:
Before I rip into it, let me also mentioned things I really liked about act2:
  • mountain pass area, temple and Gith crèche - the latter needs some work, but I really liked the content there and story behind it
  • moonrise tower - infiltrating it for the first time, prison area, and the finale of act2 I thought were all pretty cool

The rest I did not care for. I think a more combat/dungeon focused chapter is a good concept, sandwiched between what’s seems like very social acts. The area didn’t grab me, though. Most of the map is the shadow fog thing, which becomes almost immediately irrelevant. Most of the acts revolves around backstory to a character we barely get to interact with. Temple of Shar was fine. I don’t quite know why Larian likes to make their temples look like alien starships (I remember it being a thing in D:OS2) but that dungeon just didn’t have much personality to me.

I don’t quite know what the purpose of Thorms relatives was. Was there a reason to find them? I run into all 3 of them before ever reaching moonrise, so perhaps there is a connection that I missed.

apprentice
apprentice
Act 1 was amazing. Tons of options, super polished, there was a lot of ways to approach every situation, and I felt like I really had control over what to say to people and how to treat them.

Act II was decent. A few less options, but overall okay.

Act III I have no clue what happened to the quality. Very few options. Situations where I get limited options and lots of forced results where I don't get to choose much beyond do the good thing or kill everyone, not much in between.
And the companion events seem to dwindle off.
And what the hell is with Shadowheart's story? All game we get to be supportive and talk to her about things and help her handle situations... and then she gets a heartbreaking moment and is in tears... and we just shrug and let her suffer? No hugs and loving words? No support? What the actual hell?

addict
addict
I'm not sure what to think of this except it's matter of taste?

Act 1 was fun. There wasn't a lot more ways to approach a situation than any other act. I think you have the same option to approach The Goblin camp and Moonrise towers. In term of writing Act 2 also had a lot of hidden stuff leading to Moonrise towers, from figuring out Ketheric's daughter, his family secrets, those who built the towers, those who lived in the area prior to being cursed.

Act 3 was packed. I didn't have the problem being not to hug Shadowheart but I'm okay with the choice which were given to me during the quest within the cloister and afterwards in camp. To my understanding his parents aren't truly gone, they will always be with her, in literal spirit.

Another example in act 3 saving Florrick from dungeon, I didn't killl anyone, just let her drink invisible potion and lead her out. Later I found out that there is a "secret" way, if you jumped down below the bridge when you try to enter Wyrm Rock for the first time - there is a secret passage that lead outside without even needing to use potions nor alerting the guard. That's 3 options (with the usual killing to save her).

Exploration is still top notch in Act 3, for example The Mummy Shaman quest, I didn't know this was part of the quest when I stumbled in a Crypt and finds a jar, I found a lot of Jar even before I do this quest, places that didn't even have a quest if i didn't start it (like the graveyard). By the time I met with the shaman I only need the last jar which I already met the one who hides the last jar because I was exploring houses to look for certain clown body parts.

Also the finding out the Nine Base, i didn't came through from their front door near the beach, I found out about that later, I came in from the sewer through locked door.

There is also "unmarked quest" like persuading coffin maker to make a coffin earlier to mourning couple, in a graveyard that I found just because I exploring.

Then also Halsik, i didn't get the key from her to get into her room, I put bottle of water to trap to let me in. By the time I found my way in, I found infernal item which triggers new options in dialogue to ask her can she open up a portal to House of Hope - only later in the game I found out that there is minimum 5 piece of written information that directly tells you that Helsik can help you, spread out in different area.

Also stealth is used quite a bit in act 3, I sneak to find the information as to where the Gondian gnome where kept. I stealth my way to the top of the wyrm rock so i didn't kill the Fists stationed there.

Look, I'm not saying "You are wrong!", but maybe there are information you maybe missed?

The only quest that I feel abruptly ended is the Gith egg in Society HQ in BG. I just found out they get killed and then nothing, I thought he could help me to open a portal, seeing that he is capable to open one from their Base.

To me personally, Act 3 has given me more option on exploration, reactivity and more than Act 1, which is basically quite linear leading you up to Goblin Camp.

Last edited by Dext. Paladin; 26/08/23 05:24 AM.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
addict
addict
No replies?

Again, my post above is an open challenge.

Let's dissect quest in Act 2 and Act 3 vs any Act 1 Quest of your liking and see why some people is incorrect for saying "Act 2 & Act 3 is less [insert category here]".

Last edited by Dext. Paladin; 27/08/23 02:47 AM.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
No replies?

Again, my post above is an open challenge.

Let's dissect quest in Act 2 and Act 3 vs any Act 1 Quest of your liking and see why some people is incorrect for saying "Act 2 & Act 3 is less [insert category here]".

A3 is so rushed that I am currently sitting on 5 different playthroughs all in A3, and Idk If I should continue while I'm in love with the game.
Or take a 3 year break from the game and check on it in 2026.
Pros of that would be that most bugs would be gone, maybe a DLC or two. And few thousand mods.

Most game breaking thing for me so far was my Evil playthrough... 67 hours into it I arrive at Moonrise Towers, and Minthara didn't exist in my game anymore despite having romanced her at the grove party.... Had to restart from the very beginning....

But A3 itself isn't even half baked, Not even IKEA baked where we got the stuff just got to assemble it. All we got is the damn grocery list but most of the things haven't been checked out yet, and half the ingredients are missing off the list.

Dialogues for me after reaching A3, On all 5 of my playthroughs currently in A3.
Are terrible.... Sure, I get a few one liners when I click my companions. But for the most part It's 2 options. What's your opinion of me, Wait for me in camp / Let's go.
In some of my saves I get some dialogue from Astarion/Gale.
With Karlach we did get the date.... Where she then puts on a strap on and abuses my male PC.....

I find a Diary from Wylls father, where he writes his favourite memories of his time with his son. Yet I get no options to give it to Wyll despite Wyll having mentioned that his father probably doesn't care much for him. Yet It's clear he loves n misses him.

After Shadowhearts thing, there's 0 options to hug the precious cinnamon roll??? Just stand there in silence staring at her bawl her eyes out???? What the actual heck????

I've got a mountain of Infernal Iron, but Dammon has 0 dialogue options other than shopping after the initial greeting with Karlach. And no further questline??

When I talk to Mol, she asks If Im ready to do some business, yet no further options to start a questline for my 1# Fav character in the game? What happened between her n Raphael? What about the other kids? What about her ambitions? Should be at least 3 entire questlines but instead I get nothing?

Mattis, my 2nd fav character. Why is he not with Mol? Why does he barely regard me at all.

Arabella, my 6th fav character. (Shart, Karlach & Astarion 3-4-5th favs)
Just dips on me and I find her in a sewer, and get like no dialogue options beyond that tiny bit. She still owes me that Spell she never taught me. And she should have a quest or two....

Quite a lot of other stuff as well that I can't remember off the top of my head since those things are the ones that piss me off the most.
But A3 is quite HUGE, but then you run into the characters you care about, and your companions. And there's nothing?? It's just weird...

Also, Rolan... I talk to him and he doesn't even recognize me, doesn't mention his 2 siblings I spent so much effort keeping all 3 alive and nothing. Then I'm forced to Knock him Unconscious but ofc It's bugged and KO'ing people just deletes them from the game permanently.... It's even worse than killing them, since at least If u kill them their corpse is still around after a Long rest.. KO will just wipe em out of existence.

And then are all the PERFORMANCE issues. The lack-buster ending. etc...
And thats the tip of the iceberg.
So I'd say yey, there is a wild difference between Act 1 and Act 3 quality.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 27/08/23 05:03 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
addict
addict
Hello.

Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
A3 is so rushed that I am currently sitting on 5 different playthroughs all in A3, and Idk If I should continue while I'm in love with the game.
Or take a 3 year break from the game and check on it in 2026.
Pros of that would be that most bugs would be gone, maybe a DLC or two. And few thousand mods.

Most game breaking thing for me so far was my Evil playthrough... 67 hours into it I arrive at Moonrise Towers, and Minthara didn't exist in my game anymore despite having romanced her at the grove party.... Had to restart from the very beginning....

This is a bug.

Not a prove that Act 2 has less [category here].

Other has experience it, some others hasn't.

But A3 itself isn't even half baked, Not even IKEA baked where we got the stuff just got to assemble it. All we got is the damn grocery list but most of the things haven't been checked out yet, and half the ingredients are missing off the list.

Dialogues for me after reaching A3, On all 5 of my playthroughs currently in A3.
Are terrible.... Sure, I get a few one liners when I click my companions. But for the most part It's 2 options. What's your opinion of me, Wait for me in camp / Let's go.
In some of my saves I get some dialogue from Astarion/Gale.
With Karlach we did get the date.... Where she then puts on a strap on and abuses my male PC.....

This is a subjective opinion you're entitled to.

Others do like it, some would agree with you.

Not a prove that further Acts is less [category here].

I find a Diary from Wylls father, where he writes his favourite memories of his time with his son. Yet I get no options to give it to Wyll despite Wyll having mentioned that his father probably doesn't care much for him. Yet It's clear he loves n misses him.

The DM decided that Wyll shall not have reaction to it and you dislike it. And that's fine if you dislike it.

I found a book of bard song beside Alfira and I can't as about it to here either.

I found a polished Dagger near Harpy ambush site, with Emerald Enclave engraving in it, but nobody in the Grove responded that I has something that might belong to one of them.

Doesn't make me feel that the game is incomplete despite that.

After Shadowhearts thing, there's 0 options to hug the precious cinnamon roll??? Just stand there in silence staring at her bawl her eyes out???? What the actual heck????

I am fine with the options which were given to me.

Are you mad too that Lae'zel isn't more nice to you, who save her from her captivity?

Also still not a quest, and still not a prove that Act 2/3 less than Act 1 on [category].

I've got a mountain of Infernal Iron, but Dammon has 0 dialogue options other than shopping after the initial greeting with Karlach. And no further questline??

This one I agree. There should've/could've been more. But there isn't.

ultimately doesn't matter when Dammon himself determined that he can't think of any other solution except to back to Avernus.

My bet is that the infernal iron is to mitigate if players somehow didn't meet with Dammon in Act 2.

Still not a quest, still doesn't prove that Act 1 is somehow better.

When I talk to Mol, she asks If Im ready to do some business, yet no further options to start a questline for my 1# Fav character in the game? What happened between her n Raphael? What about the other kids? What about her ambitions? Should be at least 3 entire questlines but instead I get nothing?

I also agree with this.

But again, feel like a rant of something that should've/could've.

For now all you can do is to retrieve her contract within house of hope and she will commented on that.

Mattis, my 2nd fav character. Why is he not with Mol? Why does he barely regard me at all.

Arabella, my 6th fav character. (Shart, Karlach & Astarion 3-4-5th favs)
Just dips on me and I find her in a sewer, and get like no dialogue options beyond that tiny bit. She still owes me that Spell she never taught me. And she should have a quest or two....

Should've/Could've.

Feels like there is a lot more you can do on top of already massive stuff you can do in Act 2 and 3.

This start to feel like you agree Act 2/3 feels a lot bigger than 1. <-- this is not a jest. Don't feel offended.

Quite a lot of other stuff as well that I can't remember off the top of my head since those things are the ones that piss me off the most.
But A3 is quite HUGE, but then you run into the characters you care about, and your companions. And there's nothing?? It's just weird...

It can be feel like that, for sure. But for me personally: they've arrived in Baldur's Gate, that's a lot better than being slaughtered in the Grove or stuck in Last Light Inn.

I agree that there should be some kind of closure with the tiefling group.

Also, Rolan... I talk to him and he doesn't even recognize me, doesn't mention his 2 siblings I spent so much effort keeping all 3 alive and nothing. Then I'm forced to Knock him Unconscious but ofc It's bugged and KO'ing people just deletes them from the game permanently.... It's even worse than killing them, since at least If u kill them their corpse is still around after a Long rest.. KO will just wipe em out of existence.

Could be a bug.

I meet him, notice he got beaten up, meet with Lorroakan, kill him and Rolan later thank me and say that he will bring his two sibling to the towers.

And then are all the PERFORMANCE issues. The lack-buster ending. etc...
And thats the tip of the iceberg.
So I'd say yey, there is a wild difference between Act 1 and Act 3 quality.

Not Act 2/3 related, as in quality/reactions.

But yes, general consensus is that later Act is less optimized, and it still is.

====

Look, I'm not trying to jest or disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Act 2 and 3 has a lot of content. They made some cut, that much is apparent. But as you said, Act 3 is huge, literally and figuratively. More quest, unmarked quests, locations waiting to be found. I have finished the game twice and I still don't get why there is a mad sorcerer in the city sewer.

Content wise/reactivity wise, Act 2/3 is massive. More dialogue, more written lore, more reactivity, more options to solve a quest.

I am not saying it's perfect without flaws, it has flaws, performance issues aside, but compared to Act 1? It's objectively massive and arguably better, though some of your gripes (biased though it is), has it merits too.

====

Now then, anybody else want to compare specific quest in Act 1 that you think has more reactivity/ways to solve than Act 2/3 quests? - because 2/3 is massive and you can ignore fights a lot, compared to Act 1, because you no longer need exp especially in Act 3.

apprentice
apprentice
The thing that struck me the most as very much missing, reactivity-wise, was finding a note by the boat
to morphic pools, talking about Emperor admitting to being still a normal illithid, and not getting to talk about it with my companions or Emperor himself.

Other than that, I'd just like more companion content - from banters to player-initiated chats. Obviously Karlach's full quest and the expanded Cazador political plotline that was supposed to span over the Upper City. Maybe one day!

addict
OP Offline
addict
Well, reading the latest Larian info for pre-Patch 2 , looks like WE ARE getting some love for act 3! And so much more.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3669924544104905987

Thanks for listening Larian! And your WELCOME everyone who though there was no problem with Act 3 wink Why even critical *constructive feedback is so important, win win for everyone.

I am actually now supper optimist for the future of the game, Larian seems to be 100% into making the game better; not just add DLC content.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 30/08/23 05:39 AM.

addict
addict
Everyone think there are problems in Act 3.

The quest design is still better in later Act compared to 1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just finished the game, my 2 cents on the matter :
- Won't go about the performance, it was said, but wow is it a big'un
- There's one thing that bothered me (it was already said here and there), but it's the question around XP. I was level 12 soon after the start of Act 3, and honestly, it was a bit disappointing to go through quests and know it wouldn't imply anymore level up (at this point the loot does not matter that much). On my end, the game was a bit too easy in balanced, and a lot of the fights were too easy (apart from the final one with a bit of a challenge), so at some point I just went for the ending. Same goes in the end, you get fight after fight after fight, and no real point of doing them.
- There are some bug, especially when you get up the tower at the end, it was buggy as hell (oh and also, I think I lost that unloosable weapon at some point, which was weird).
- I did not really understood the whole thing around Karlak's ending, it was fine for me, but maybe I'm not being in love enough with all the characters.

Now onto the Dark Urge... and tactitian.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Linio
Just finished the game, my 2 cents on the matter :
- Won't go about the performance, it was said, but wow is it a big'un
- There's one thing that bothered me (it was already said here and there), but it's the question around XP. I was level 12 soon after the start of Act 3, and honestly, it was a bit disappointing to go through quests and know it wouldn't imply anymore level up (at this point the loot does not matter that much). On my end, the game was a bit too easy in balanced, and a lot of the fights were too easy (apart from the final one with a bit of a challenge), so at some point I just went for the ending. Same goes in the end, you get fight after fight after fight, and no real point of doing them.
- There are some bug, especially when you get up the tower at the end, it was buggy as hell (oh and also, I think I lost that unloosable weapon at some point, which was weird).
- I did not really understood the whole thing around Karlak's ending, it was fine for me, but maybe I'm not being in love enough with all the characters.

Now onto the Dark Urge... and tactitian.

I figure many would love to see that you fully leveled up by the start of Act 3 because your character is built and no need for every encounter to be a fight.

Imagine if you're not level 12 yet, I'm betting most of people would seek to fight for every crumbs of exp to inject the level up cocaine to their character.

I personally would want my character to be in level 12 by the end of Act 1, so by Act 2/3 my character would already on their full capability of their build.

Link Copied to Clipboard