Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hey guys,

I really feel the need to report that even if, as usual, no one will care to balance basic things.

I already talked about the jumping mechanics during EA and how it was poorly balanced.
=> When you jump, no matter the distance it consume 3 meters.

It already look ridiculous when you are playing strenght based characters because jumping is an "extra movement" bonus action.
As a consequence it is something you may litteraly SPAM to make optimal moves because melee characters need to move on the battlefield a lot. (I would be totally ok with an "extra movement" bonus action if it was not a jump...)

BUT I just tried a few things with the Monk for the first time and the balance of jumping now not only feel ridiculous... it feels totally idiotic.

=> With a heavy armored strenghts based Monk you can jump more than 70 meters in 1 turn ! (even more without armor).

Just use the wind : dash thing (don't know the EN name of the class feature).
Jumping no longer cost an action and you can now can move more than 20 meters due to dash... And jumping still only consume 3 meters !
You can now jump 7+ times and jump 70+ meters during 1 single turn.

I really don't get why jump hasn't been balanced during EA.
It is extremely easy to add a "mini dash" if that's the goal... and the FLY spell already consume the real amount of distance you cross so everything is ready to balance this ridiculous jumping distance.

But hey I guess Larian don't care ! As usual they care about WTF and WIERD and "FUN" more than trying to make basics simple, effective and balanced !

A bit of salt in this thread as you may have noticed. I'm sorry about that I'm in love with the game but they are so many ridiculous things that make it not as good as it could be !
I guess I should be happy and feel rewarded because I've thought "outside of their own" box... yipie !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/08/23 08:17 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
D
old hand
old hand
D
Jumping doesent cost an action or a bonus action in the pnp game so it not costing and just beeing part of your move is how its supposed to be xD but you acknowledge that yourself. For what its worth man, I feel your pain.

The 'dash' ability is step of the wind. Which doubles your jump range when you dash and spend 1 ki to use it.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
They let monk do this because they weren't able to add its real functionality. Slow fall doesnt work often, they can't climb walls for free, and step of the wind doesn't multiply jump distance. You can also jump without an action in 5e. And BG pathing doesnt include squeezing, or objects moving, etc. Jump is needed to make traversing the map not fail.

Also, they likely felt that base movement didnt work well enough on their 3d maps. (most of 5e is designed with flat maps), so essentially you can dash to double your ground speed, or jump to increase your ability to move in 3d.

basically, through jump, the base speed is 16 meters for high str characters. monk in 5e has 2x the speed of regular characters, and step of the wind doubles that, so 66 meters is on the table.

I have no problem with monk's having the best mobility in this game.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by professoryins
I have no problem with monk's having the best mobility in this game.

Neither do I.

I have with the fact that jump only consume 3 meters no matter the distance you cross when you use it.
Just try a few more and it is even worst that what I thought.

With your "DnD" exemple (66 meters), it mean that in BG3, if you jump rather run/move... You can cross 352 meters with a level 12 monk that have 20 strenght !
Consume all your speed walking/running = 66 meters
Consume all your speed jumping = 352 meters

In game I have 39 meters of speed when I use step if the wind : dash.
If I run / walk : I can move 39 meters farther during my turn.
If I jump : I can move 208 meters farther during my turn.

=> this is just ridiculous and it is only due to the ressource cost of the jump.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/08/23 06:56 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
jumping just, makes the game fun for reasons that can't really be justified. Something about the way they just leap over things is just, soul lifting. Especially when you're in battle and the guy just leaps over you and it's just, the whimsy

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Starshine
jumping just, makes the game fun for reasons that can't really be justified. Something about the way they just leap over things is just, soul lifting. Especially when you're in battle and the guy just leaps over you and it's just, the whimsy

What does the jump cost has to do with that ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/08/23 10:02 AM.

addict
addict
Just curious: how far does your monk jump after drinking a potion of glorious vaulting?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

if the jump cost was reasonable, there wouldnt be hilarious unreasonable jumping happening every turn?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ikke
Just curious: how far does your monk jump after drinking a potion of glorious vaulting?

Consuming 39 meters of speed allow him to move 637 meters in 1 turn (with all feats and full level in Monks).

This is what it mean
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co][/url]

Originally Posted by Maximuuus

if the jump cost was reasonable, there wouldnt be hilarious unreasonable jumping happening every turn?

You're probably one of those players that love the game even more before patch 5 rolleyes

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/08/23 02:20 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Jump has been broken from the start. Somehow i fail to see why they did not put more effort to fix it. Apart from the distance that can be jumped even in full armor plus shield and weapons (which is ridicoulous) Jump also breaks most ground effect spells. Spkiy growth? Useless. Hunger of Hadar? Useless etc.

All ground effects that cause a reduction of movement speed or do damage/distance simply get jumped out of with no consequences.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Counterpoint; owlbears

old hand
old hand
Only problem with jumping is you cant also use polearm bash on the same turn.

I ought to give Laezel the tadpole fly ability, but the pre req powers aren't useful for her.

Link Copied to Clipboard