Next Thread
Print Thread
V
vamp_13 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
I haven’t defeated auntie ethel and when i go back to her tea house all the redcaps want to attack me. I haven’t gotten through the mountain pass because the first encounter with the undead guys was too hard. I got to the decripit village but to my understanding I have to use the boat but then I have to fight all the guys that live there.

I guess the answer is I need to do these fights.
But what order should I do them in that’ll be easiest to get through on level 4 and so then I can level up and have the other areas be easier..
I’m not fully used to the combat obviously

J
J
Did you fully do the goblin camp? After that you should/could already be level 5, if you didn't skip any content. My personal order is Goblin Camp, Auntie and her minions, Mountain Pass Creche, Mountain Pass Undead Shepards, Underdark. Auntie is easily doable at Level 4 even on tactician. The undead encounter is also not very difficult, they are annoying for sure but using cc and aoe spells and having a cleric and maybe a paladin in the party is the way to go here. The Duergar in the Underdark are only difficult if you enter the decrepit village from below and not above (coming from the spore colony), you need to Obi Wan this fight.

V
vamp_13 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
goblin pass had way too many enemies for me to handle myslef unfortunately.

V
vamp_13 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
i beat the red caps and am trying to defeat auntie ethel, i’m so close!!

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Well, if you're having issues with Act I, you're gonna have lots of fun with Act II. Better look at party composition and builds.

B
old hand
old hand
B
It is easy to get to level five before going to the Mountain Pass which you shouldn't really be going near if you haven't finished Act 1.

I do the Underdark before the creche.

Look to your party - would you be better off swapping A for B for this fight?
Check your gear - could you upgrade any of it?
Check your inventory - what bombs, potions, scrolls, etc do you have?
Are there any areas you could do to get enough XP to go up a level before taking on the tougher fight?
Look at build guides - would a respec help?
Right-click and examine enemies to see if they are resistant or vulnerable to anything.
Watch YT vids on the fights you are having problems with.

addict
addict
he is going to redo the aunthie ethel fight so many times.

Tips:

Rogue your way to auntie ethel sanctuary below.

When you pass the landmines, make a save and run toward mayrina, to find out where auntie ethel hide.

Once you found out where she hide, throw a void bulb just right on the edge of the abyss in the middle, a death icon will appear if you have auntie ethel within pull range + she will dragged off to abyss instead of just the edge of the spiral bridge.

You don't need any loot you have on her, you'll get something much better later in the game.

If you're having difficulty in fight, don't feel ashamed to lower the difficulty, this is a Roleplaying-game, so Roleplay.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
You can take on pretty much anything Act 1 has to offer at level 4. You should be level 5 before you leave Act 1.

There are some other things you can do in Act 1 as well to get XP. Spoilered out of an abundance of caution, I tried to give vague hints for each one.

Druid Grove:
Rifle through Kagha's personal property.
Check the passages behind the jail.
Go up the hill behind the Idol, towards the coast.

Blighted Village:
Talk to or fight the goblins here.
Find the apothecary basement.
Explore down the well.

North of Blighted Village:
Recruit Karlach and do her little sidequest.
Fight the gnolls.

Waukeen's Rest:
Rescue people from the fire.
Find the place where that caravan shipment is supposed to go.

You can get into the Goblin Camp without having to fight if you're clever, and then there are a lot of opportunities for XP there.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I don't deal with Ethel until lvl5 at least, she's one of the harder fights in that area and most classes don't get strong enough until lvl5 to really deal with her IMO. I find combat before lvl5 to be really tedious, so I push to get there as quickly as I can.

Here is my rough rundown of how I do levels in Act I (I may have some of it out of order):

lvl 2: Nautiloid - I do try to kill the captain and get his GS, but he also gives a nice chunk of exp, but you basically depend on the mindflayer to kill him
lvl 3: Explore the beach, get Gale, Astarion, Shadowheart, kill goblins outside of the Grove, talk to everyone in the grove. Explore the Village, I usually talk my way in just fine. If you walk around enough, do some of the caves, etc you should get enough exp to hit 3 pretty quickly without any major quest lines. Can also do the Kagha questline. Wake up Withers and explore those ruins. Basically level 3 & 4 is as much exploration as possible.
lvl 4: Harpies first. Deal with the goblin camp or grove however I'm gonna do that, Waukeen's Rest, the Zhentarium camp under it, explore Ethel's area and get the waypoint but otherwise leave her alone, gnolls, "Paladins of Tyr" (Karlach), maybe venture into the Underdark briefly if I need something to push me over but all over the starting area should be enough to get you here
lvl 5: Basically everything in the underdark: arcane tower, sentient fish, mushrooms/glut, rescue the moron, masterwork weapons, beach, open the path to the forge (although I always misty step to it). You should hit 5 there no problem
lvl 6-8: Go deal with Ethel, then continued underdark until Nere is dead, do everything there, clear the Mountain Pass area, do all the Gith stuff however you do it, Blood of Lathander

I've yet to break to lvl9 in Act I, but you can be 8 at minimum before leaving if you do everything. IMO ethel and those undead are some of the harder fights in Act I if you aren't leveled right, but a lot of classes get major boosts at lvl5 that make some of these fights more manageable. Getting there is one of the harder level grinds in the game IMO but you can do it if you explore enough, just know you can walk into situations you can't win.

You do not have to fight the Duergar in Grymforge right away. If you talk to one of them you can also recruit some of them to help you kill Nere after rescuing him, that splits up the fight a lot, but again this is one I wouldn't venture into until I'm at least lvl5.

On the goblin camp, they are super squishy and weak. Try to pull them into choke points, like the bridge outside of the camp, and pick them off at range. You can also create surfaces (grease, ice, etc) on the choke point to prevent them from rushing you too quickly. They have like 7-20hp, so at level 3 or 4 they should be really manageable. If you waypoint in and aggro the whole camp, it's a lot harder than going in the front door, but if you try to rush it with that many mobs you'll lose. You need to take some strategy and position yourself to be more effective.

I had trouble with all of this my first playthrough, it was a combination of being underleveled and focusing too heavily on damage as a main strategy. If you emphasize some crowd control, debuffing, and positioning, a lot of this is much easier.

Last edited by Shinook; 28/08/23 05:10 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Shinook
I don't deal with Ethel until lvl5 at least, she's one of the harder fights in that area and most classes don't get strong enough until lvl5 to really deal with her IMO. I find combat before lvl5 to be really tedious, so I push to get there as quickly as I can.

Here is my rough rundown of how I do levels in Act I (I may have some of it out of order):

lvl 2: Nautiloid - I do try to kill the captain and get his GS, but he also gives a nice chunk of exp, but you basically depend on the mindflayer to kill him
lvl 3: Explore the beach, get Gale, Astarion, Shadowheart, kill goblins outside of the Grove, talk to everyone in the grove. Explore the Village, I usually talk my way in just fine. If you walk around enough, do some of the caves, etc you should get enough exp to hit 3 pretty quickly without any major quest lines. Can also do the Kagha questline. Wake up Withers and explore those ruins. Basically level 3 & 4 is as much exploration as possible.
lvl 4: Harpies first. Deal with the goblin camp or grove however I'm gonna do that, Waukeen's Rest, the Zhentarium camp under it, explore Ethel's area and get the waypoint but otherwise leave her alone, gnolls, "Paladins of Tyr" (Karlach), maybe venture into the Underdark briefly if I need something to push me over but all over the starting area should be enough to get you here
lvl 5: Basically everything in the underdark: arcane tower, sentient fish, mushrooms/glut, rescue the moron, masterwork weapons, beach, open the path to the forge (although I always misty step to it). You should hit 5 there no problem
lvl 6-8: Go deal with Ethel, then continued underdark until Nere is dead, do everything there, clear the Mountain Pass area, do all the Gith stuff however you do it, Blood of Lathander

I've yet to break to lvl9 in Act I, but you can be 8 at minimum before leaving if you do everything. IMO ethel and those undead are some of the harder fights in Act I if you aren't leveled right, but a lot of classes get major boosts at lvl5 that make some of these fights more manageable. Getting there is one of the harder level grinds in the game IMO but you can do it if you explore enough, just know you can walk into situations you can't win.

You do not have to fight the Duergar in Grymforge right away. If you talk to one of them you can also recruit some of them to help you kill Nere after rescuing him, that splits up the fight a lot, but again this is one I wouldn't venture into until I'm at least lvl5.

On the goblin camp, they are super squishy and weak. Try to pull them into choke points, like the bridge outside of the camp, and pick them off at range. You can also create surfaces (grease, ice, etc) on the choke point to prevent them from rushing you too quickly. They have like 7-20hp, so at level 3 or 4 they should be really manageable. If you waypoint in and aggro the whole camp, it's a lot harder than going in the front door, but if you try to rush it with that many mobs you'll lose. You need to take some strategy and position yourself to be more effective.

I had trouble with all of this my first playthrough, it was a combination of being underleveled and focusing too heavily on damage as a main strategy. If you emphasize some crowd control, debuffing, and positioning, a lot of this is much easier.

Ethel is very doable at level 4 and killing her will likely push people onto 5 if they've done a bunch of other stuff. My tips:

1. Kill (or knock unconscious) her minions. Don't try to sneak past them.
2. Leave and full rest unless you've managed that without using more than one or two spell slots.
3. Have someone throw a bottle of water at the cage first round.
4. Magic Missile! By miles the best spell for this encounter. Use Gale and/or any scrolls. Ethel's copies can attack you, but disappear when hit. Magic missile is guaranteed hit on three separate targets and you don't even need line of sight (only range). Eliminate the duplicates and then go absolutely ham on her with your biggest damage dealer.
5. Remember that when your characters are next to each other in initiative order you can decide who goes first.

Last edited by Dagless; 28/08/23 06:35 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
It's far simpler to kill the redcaps before even getting to Ethel.

Link Copied to Clipboard