R
River Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
A DC 20, 25, 30, and fucking 99????

Are you serious?

If the DC is meant to be impossible, then why bother making your players roll? Other than to spit in our fucking faces?

Any DM worth their salt knows that this is just bad all around. If the DC is impossible, then there is no point in making your players roll.

Should have just forced the cutscene showing the futility of it all, instead of wasting your players time like that.

Uninstalled. Negative review left. Fuck BG3, and Fuck Larian.

journeyman
journeyman
Lol. You forgot your RANT tag.

stranger
stranger
There is no such thing as an impossible DC since a natural 20 succeeds all the time. Setting an "impossible" DC just means you can only win on a natural 20.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by eris
There is no such thing as an impossible DC since a natural 20 succeeds all the time. Setting an "impossible" DC just means you can only win on a natural 20.

Doesn't matter, passing with a 20 still gets you a fail outcome. But what the OP is missing is that these dice checks are suposed to give a gameplay extension of trying to do something seemingly impossible and then failing, which is why a certain NPC comes bail you out and explains why your strategy with certain jewels is no longer enough.

As far as complaints go about the game, this is a pretty clueless one.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Somebody call a whaaaaaaaambulance!

M
M

But note that this is a just in the Larian adaptation. Per normal 5E ruiles there is no critical success or failure on skill checks, unlike for attack rolls.

This being said you can make DC 30 rolls with decent probability, though you have to build towards it. Some example:

+4 Proficiency + 5 Stat + 1d4 Guidance + 1d10 Bardic inspiration

Alternately:

+4 Proficiency + 5 Stat + 4 Expertise + 1d4 Guidance.

That is doable with luck, and not unlikely if you can also get Advantage.

You could combine both Expertise and Bardic inspiration to be even better - but admittedly that is very special party composition.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I thought the DC99 was funny, and did have a couple of goes just to see if I’d manage to score a critical success as I thought lockpicking the secure vault would be a cool thing to have on my sorceror/rogue PC’s CV. Disappointing to hear this wouldn’t have worked anyway! I didn’t roll an 20 in any case, so just went ahead and followed the hints lying around about what to do instead. I’m assuming that there are other ways to succeed, as no NPC was involved in my solution.

For high Dex characters with sleight of hand proficiency or ideally expertise, plus boosts, DCs of 25 and 30 are fairly easy to obtain, though I have occasionally worked my way through a few lockpicks with series of not-so-good rolls. Though for tough locks that feels right to me. And there can be other ways to get into locked chests and doors.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
DC 25-30 is quite doable if you are specialized for that skill with high attributes, advantage, expertise etc. The 15 +/- is quite fine if you just have proficiency. 10 is for non-proficient checks. 99DC is obviously a joke.

Really don't see the problem or point of this rant at all. Some skill checks are supposed to be a long shot, and that's fun. I've had a critical success on a DC out of my range and it was a real hurrah moment. The DC would've been very fair if I was specialized for it though, which is the point of specializing in skills.

Seems like you'd rather not have skill checks at all and just always be able to succeed at everything.

journeyman
journeyman
Now I'm intrigued. I never ran into anything that was DC99. I must have missed that particular thing... Anybody want to spoiler tag it and tell me what I missed?

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Temohjyn
Now I'm intrigued. I never ran into anything that was DC99. I must have missed that particular thing... Anybody want to spoiler tag it and tell me what I missed?
It’s one time and really really late in the game. It doesn’t matter, as the post indicates. Going by Larian’s critical success rules, you still have a 5% chance of succeeding. With 4 rolls, an 18% chance of success. With advantage on every roll and 4 rolls, a 1 in 3 chance.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
C
cdx Offline
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by River
If the DC is meant to be impossible, then why bother making your players roll?

To give an obvious hint that another approach is necessary. It's like trying to move a mountain with 20 strength. Yes, you're strong, but not that strong, try something else. And it was funny in a way.

I can pretty regularly clear a 25-30 on my Rogue that's specialized for conversation. Triple proficiency due to illithid mind powers goes a long way.

old hand
old hand
The number of DC20+ locks I've picked when there was a key or lever nearby is embarrassing, but what would be even more embarrassing is complaining about it.

veteran
veteran
This makes me think of Cougar from Top Gun. When he was holding on too tight.

veteran
veteran
I don't like fake wins, or when a game pretends I can win when the game was rigged from the start (wait a minute..)

Seriously though, I get what they were going for, but I was just confused and didn't really understand what was going on. Once I did, I just got annoyed and just clicked through the last few ones just to get it over with. I'd much rather the game just tell me what is happening that pretend I have a say in it.

apprentice
apprentice
I didn't mind it personally, and funnily enough, I rolled a 20 on the 99 DC roll on my first attempt. For a moment I was like "LOL, WILL IT WORK?" but sadly no haha. But I wasn't miffed or anything, I got the point of it. I think it was fine and it did give the impression of trying your best, doing great, and just not being able to push through.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Zenith

Doesn't matter, passing with a 20 still gets you a fail outcome. But what the OP is missing is that these dice checks are suposed to give a gameplay extension of trying to do something seemingly impossible and then failing, which is why a certain NPC comes bail you out and explains why your strategy with certain jewels is no longer enough.

As far as complaints go about the game, this is a pretty clueless one.
It doesn't actually do nothing . The
elder brain
loses 10% hp...

I guess your attempt was good, but about 1/10th of the required strength?

Link Copied to Clipboard