Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Okay, so most of this will be spoilers for anyone who hasn't played up to a certain attack in Act II. Here goes:

So I examined Art Cullagh at the Last Light Inn. Now, as you may know, when you return to camp and speak to Halsin about it, he runs off to the Last Light Inn to have a look at the man for himself. So far, so good.

Here's where it gets weird.

Before I spoke to Halsin, I went upstairs to meet Isobel, got approached by Marcus, and triggered the battle with the shadow fiends. I chose to fight on the Harper's side because I want to find out more about the Absolute before deciding to ally with the True Souls. That's probably irrelevant for what happened next. After the battle I returned to camp and told Halsin about Art. Off he goes to the Inn, and I followed soon after to have the conversation with Halsin in Art's room where Halsin suggests to find something connected to the comatose guy's past. I then venture out to experience the Drider fight, claim the lantern, and do some side content and exploration. Eventually, I rest at my camp, where Halsin is absent. Not surprising, as he's presumably still with Art. At some point, I decide to return to the inn and...

...Halsin's dead on the floor.

None of my companions find this in any remarkable, as evidenced by their abstention from any, uh, remarks on the matter. I cast Speak with Dead on Halsin and am given the usual array of possible questions as though he was a complete unknown. When I ask him how he died, he responds that the failed to hear a goblin patrol—odd, as there are no goblin patrols in the Shadowlands. So, clearly there's a bug involved and not some assassination or the like. I'm rather reluctant to go back to an earlier save as I've no great desire to repeat some of the more annoying battles (especially those thorn things). No idea how this is going to impact further developments (and PLEASE don't give me any spoilers regarding the trip to Moonrise Towers).

Incidentally, I managed to get the druids to boot out the tieflings and seal the grove before rescuing Halsin—maybe he got so depressed about this that he killed himself? I jest, of course... as I said, his corpse claimed death by goblins.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's not the only irregularity surrounding the Last Light Inn scenes; for one thing, I was able to keep the existence of Shadowheart's device hidden from Jaheira during our arrival there, but when we spoke with her in the Inn, she acted as though she knew all about it.

I found no mention about either of these issues in the patch notes...

Last edited by Sciophyte; 31/08/23 11:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Luckily I didn’t have this issue! Does a revivify scroll work on him?

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Luckily I didn’t have this issue! Does a revivify scroll work on him?

Alas, no—that only works on characters you can have in your party, and
while I think you can fully recruit Halsin later on, at this stage he just hangs out in your camp.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I haven't had a problem though I did do things in a different order.

I did the Marcus fight and saved the inn.
Spoke to the people in the inn about Art.
Spoke to Halsin in camp who then shot off to the inn.
Spoke to Halsin in the inn and got the clue about finding the 'something with a connection'
Went out in the Shadow-Cursed area and found the thing.
Cmae back to the inn and did the needful.
Halsin shot off to 'the lake' where we are to meet him.
I completely forgot about this due to getting involved in another side-quest. That was the night before last. I've not been in the game since then and only remembered about Halsin earlier today.
Now I'm wondering if he will be alive. laugh

Last edited by Beechams; 31/08/23 09:46 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Beechams
I haven't had a problem though I did do things in a different order.

I did the Marcus fight and saved the inn.
Spoke to the people in the inn about Art.
Spoke to Halsin in camp who then shot off to the inn.
Spoke to Halsin in the inn and got the clue about finding the 'something with a connection'
Went out in the Shadow-Cursed area and found the thing.
Cmae back to the inn and did the needful.
Halsin shot off to 'the lake' where we are to meet him.
I completely forgot about this due to getting involved in another side-quest. That was the night before last. I've not been in the game since then and only remembered about Halsin earlier today.
Now I'm wondering if he will be alive. laugh

If you got that far, he might be safe.

S
old hand
old hand
S
The oddest part is really the dialogue. If you take no sides and seal the grove, does Halsin die during an escape attempt? But then, when would you find the corpse? I don't think you can return? Just weird all around

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Sciophyte
If you got that far, he might be safe.
Damn.
As soon as I hear his voice I lose the will to live. Not heard such an annoying voice since I left Blackwall to rot in a Val Royeaux prison cell.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I'm curious, do you play the game in English?

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Silver/

Who, me? Yes I do.

The oddest part is really the dialogue. If you take no sides and seal the grove, does Halsin die during an escape attempt? But then, when would you find the corpse? I don't think you can return? Just weird all around

Well, what I did specifically was this...

I infiltrated the Goblin camp and murdered everyone except Minthara (what with her being a drow like me and having that nice sultry voice) and her two goblins—but didn't free Halsin yet.

Next I fast-traveled to the Grove and told Zevlor to clear out. He refused, got all up in mine, and had an unfortunate accident.

I informed Kagha of this, expecting some level of gratitude. When that wasn't forthcoming, I pickpocketed the wolf rune from Rath as compensation for my troubles. When he had the gall to refuse to drop the matter in return for my generous bribe, he tripped and fell on my scimitar several times, whereupon Kagha sicked the druids on the "outsiders."

After this misunderstanding was resolved and all complaints addressed, I headed out to find that the druids had all turned into bears or something and the tieflings were mostly dead, or gone.

At this point, I felt that tact demanded that I extract myself from the proceedings.

I went to free Halsin. He totally didn't see the humor in the grove being sealed and the Rite of Thorns having been performed, and decided to mope in my camp, where he stayed until the bizarre developments ensued that I described in my original post.

Last edited by Sciophyte; 01/09/23 01:19 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sciophyte

Who, me? Yes I do.

Well, what I did specifically was this...

I infiltrated the Goblin camp and murdered everyone except Minthara (what with her being a drow like me and having that nice sultry voice) and her two goblins—but didn't free Halsin yet.

Next I fast-traveled to the Grove and told Zevlor to clear out. He refused, got all up in mine, and had an unfortunate accident.

I informed Kagha of this, expecting some level of gratitude. When that wasn't forthcoming, I pickpocketed the wolf rune from Rath as compensation for my troubles. When he had the gall to refuse to drop the matter in return for my generous bribe, he tripped and fell on my scimitar several times, whereupon Kagha sicked the druids on the "outsiders."

After this misunderstanding was resolved and all complaints addressed, I headed out to find that the druids had all turned into bears or something and the tieflings were mostly dead, or gone.

At this point, I felt that tact demanded that I extract myself from the proceedings.

I went to free Halsin. He totally didn't see the humor in the grove being sealed and the Rite of Thorns having been performed, and decided to mope in my camp, where he stayed until the bizarre developments ensued that I described in my original post.
You might have broke the guy tbh.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by fylimar
You might have broke the guy tbh.

That is my suspicion, also.

It's just so odd that he keeled over at that particular point in the game. Incidentally, I found some discussions on Reddit indicating the same thing did happen to others. The assumption there was that Halsin happened to eat a missile from the Shadowfiends during the Isabel/Marcus fight... but I completed that before causing Halsin to come to the Inn.

I can only imagine that since I didn't entirely eliminate the Goblin leaders—I left Minthara alive—the game treated that particular threat as unresolved and the attack on the grove as the inevitable consequence. Now, I've no idea what happens to Halsin if you choose to destroy the grove with Minthara and the goblins, but I doubt that he would join your camp afterwards. So maybe the game flagged him as a casualty of that battle even though it never took place in my playthrough? If that's the case, it's still so weird that this, uh, alternate reality fate caught up with him with such a delay...

Last edited by Sciophyte; 01/09/23 06:32 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Maybe it's a byproduct of that you can't recruit Halsin and Minthara anymore. So when you downloaded the patch, he died "in hindsight" (maybe even despite not having Minthara).

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
...he died "in hindsight"

Haha, well put! I think it has to be something like that, in the end.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Interesting... found some other threads on these forums where Halsin ended up in weird states (though not necessarily dead) after they did things in slightly unorthodox ways in Act I. Seems the devs didn't quite take every possible path players might choose into account.

A
stranger
stranger
A
So here is what happened in my honor mode run-through.

Saved the grove after freeing Halsin. I had knocked out Minthara so she would be available in Moonrise. Saved Minthara and she is in my camp. Halsin was there till I told him about Art. I met Halsin in the Last Light Inn. After I got the Lute I played it and then Halsin said he would meet my by the lake. Met Halsin at the lake. I took the role of guarding the portal. Killed all the waves and protected the portal. After the fight Halsin comes up to me and tells me that there is still work to be done and that I needed to meet him in the camp. (there is an empty tent I am assuming that his). I long rested and he was not there after. (All I have left to do in Act 2 is the Shar temple = Shadowfell). I could not find him until I looked at the waypoint and it was on the beach. Found his corpse on the beach and the waypoint is still there and the quest log still says I have to talk to him in camp. I feel like he got killed by the Shadow Curse but I don't know what killed him to be sure.

This is somewhat quest-breaking since I will not be able to complete this questline and I am assuming if I leave act 2 that it will just remain unfinished. It is a shame that my Tav did all that work to end up unable to
save the shadow lands.
Let me know if anyone wants more detail.

One other item of note I get aggro from "Cerys" at the Last Light Inn no mater where I am fighting.

Here is some photo evidence.

Last edited by AbeFr0man; 22/07/24 08:47 PM. Reason: Adding photo evidence.

Link Copied to Clipboard