Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#889695 31/08/23 11:28 PM
robtion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Have just downloaded the game on PS5 and will play it once it unlocks in less than 2 days.

NO STORY SPOILERS PLEASE.

Just wondering if any of the more experienced players have any tips to improve the experience. For example easy to miss magic items or events that help with ability scores, combat, etc

I will likely play an Elf, Drow, Half-elf, or Tiefling Bard/Warlock for my first play through with a high Charisma build. I am more interested in the story and role playing than the combat.

Thanks in advance for any advice wink

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
B
old hand
old hand
B
The guy you need to speak to is called Sir Chenjin. He can put you in touch with all sorts of guides and walkthroughs and it only takes him a second.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Beechams
The guy you need to speak to is called Sir Chenjin. He can put you in touch with all sorts of guides and walkthroughs and it only takes him a second.
Ladies and gentlemen, he got me.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
The only tip I have is don't look for any tips.

One of the wonders of the game is discovering its tricks, secrets and out-of-the-box thinking yourself because truthfully even that is a big part of the experience in Larian games. So all I can say is enjoy the game and have fun laezelapprove

addict
addict
I do actually have a couple tips, and these are things you are not likely to see in the online guides that Sir Chenjin is likely to give you. Why do these articles all have the exact same paragraph structures? Are those author photos of real people, or just AI bots? It creeps me out. Anyway, here are Argyle's tips:

1. The non-magical/non-food loot is all just junk you can sell, such as rope, ink blotters, tongs, incense, etc., with one exception ... the shovel. Keep it.
2. Eventually you will get a way to re-spec the character classes and re-do level ups. But you cannot ever change race or background skills, which of course was the one thing I wanted to do in my first re-spec trial.
3. The person who designed the Grymforge area was obviously a disgruntled employee with a bitter heart. I can think of no other reason why that particular area is the way it is.
4. Beware the bottles of colored dye. I can't stop playing with those things. Black & Jade Green, ooohhh!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Originally Posted by Beechams
Ladies and gentlemen, he got me.

What do you me...

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I strongly recommend going in blind

old hand
old hand
Take a week off, too.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Refund it and buy it only if a definitive edition comes out that fixes act 3.

veteran
veteran
Talk to everyone, search every container, you can. And try thinking outside the box for some quests.
And you won't see everything in one playthrough and might even miss some stuff. The game has a high replayabilty value.
You can get two pets in your camp, so be nice to animals and try talking to them, I won't spoil, which of them are recruitable, but you will find out.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
J
J
Take your time, be thorough, think around the corner, don't murder hobo everything

robtion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thanks all. Yes I'm going in fairly blind as have tried to avoid spoilers. I have played a lot of D and D in the past as well as DOS2 so know the basics of what to expect.

I will definitely be doing multiple playthroughs assuming I enjoy the game which I suspect I will. Probably a Gloomstalker Wood elf or Drow for second run.

Would love a week off but will just have to make do wink

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

addict
addict
I don't know if PS5 has a quick save button, but if it has: hit it often!

robtion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yep pretty sure it will have a quick save these kinds of games usually do. Good tip though I am sure.

17 hrs to go before I can play (though I'm unlikely to get up at 2am to play it).

Apparently the game is being shown on PS5 at PAX West today.

C
C
I hardly recommend you to play Durge first playthrough. Especially if you played bg1, 2 before.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by crst
I hardly recommend you to play Durge first playthrough. Especially if you played bg1, 2 before.

Nope, strong disagree.

Unless you plan to play the game only ONCE of course.

I would go plain class (no multiclassing yet) and regular character (no origin or dark urge).

Just play your favorite race and favorite class.

The only tip I have is take a good look at the rulesystem and plan ahead. Especially plan what feats to take.

Playing Dark Urge as first playthrough is like playing Vampire Bloodlines immediate als Malkavian.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I highly recommend that you play the game exactly as I do and not do any independent thinking.

I just don't understand the mentality involved with questions like this. There are written and video guides on virtually every aspect of the game and there are written walkthroughs and video Let's Plays galore but the OP opts to post a ridiculously vague two-word question.

veteran
veteran
pick good or evil before you start
decide if you want to fight as your 1st option or talk... if you want to talk before solving problem with death then you want at least 14 charisma

honestly your sex, class and stats don't matter as much as those two and there are many options for dealing with most things... except the D20 artefact and putting bugs in your head all other options are voluntary i.e, apart from those 2 you can lean in or just ignore

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
pick good or evil before you start
decide if you want to fight as your 1st option or talk... if you want to talk before solving problem with death then you want at least 14 charisma

honestly your sex, class and stats don't matter as much as those two and there are many options for dealing with most things... except the D20 artefact and putting bugs in your head all other options are voluntary i.e, apart from those 2 you can lean in or just ignore

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
addict
addict
Ooooh most important tip: save often, save early, save a lot. And keep autosave enabled. And keep backups of the saves.

Especially also make permanent saves at crucial points: when you level up, when you reskill your companions (if you do), when you switch acts.

And make two perma saves for "started new area" and "current".

Also make backups of your saves elsewhere at the end of the gaming session. You will probably want to delete all autosaves and quicksaves for that.

Personally I dialed down the number of quicksaves and autosaves to 10. Thats IMHO still plenty. Also thanks to the absolutely chaotic way the game stores data, I delete the quicksaves and autosaves at the end of the gaming session, so only having 10 of each is a welcome timesaver.

Well, as far as I can see, evil isnt really an option in this game. Unless you fancy skipping over lots of content, because most of the origin characters will leave.

Yes some dialogues wil be with your protagonist only. You will probably want at least some of the social skills - Insight, Deception, Intimidation, Persuation. Really all skills are used in dialogue sometimes, though.

I dont know about Charisma 14 though. That sounds like an enormous waste on a character that has a class with no real use for that stat otherwise. Namely everyone but Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer and Warlock.

Last edited by Halycon Styxland; 03/09/23 10:37 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard