Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zenith
If Yenna gets kidnapped, it's a pretty bad outcome for most people....

AS

Grub the kitty gets killed, cooked, and fed to you

So in my case I just left Lazael at camp.
So awful!!! I am glad that didn’t happen in my playthrough!!! Luckily I don’t take Lae’zel much so she was at camp!

Last edited by Icelyn; 03/09/23 01:36 PM.
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by SoulfulAzrael
Originally Posted by dumpy
Originally Posted by Zenith
Then there's the Dark Urge

camp scene killing Alfira. Come on, some girl is being eviscerated, she should be howling in pain and fear, and none of your crew really does anything? Same thing happens at the Temple of Bhaal, your team sees you accept Bhaal as its new Chosen. You virtually choose to replace Orin as a chosen and swear to dominate and murder the world, and your teammates just STAY??!!! If you choose to kill some tiefling refugees, Karlach, Wyll, and Halsin are gone and both Gale and Shadowheart are displeased, but somehow swearing to murder the world and become an Orin substitute doesn't cost you none of your allies? WTF, this is really bad writing. This choice should pretty much cost you everyone but Astarion and maybe a Shar aligned Shadowheart.

My other problem with that design is not about narrative coherence, but about what it does to your gameplay. You just enter a state where you rush to Orin and ignore all intervening side content because otherwise it costs you dialogue with whoever she picks until you do what needs to be done. It really railroads your play.

Becoming the chosen of bhaal, if you have jaheira and misc with you, they will leave your party; and will ambush you with a squad of harpers on your way out. Forcing you to kill them. or worse!
Sooo... Once again choosing evil takes away several companions and you get jack for going on that route.

Get hirelings. Sorry, but writing and coherence takes precedence in an RPG.

D
stranger
stranger
D
My experience is that even though Lae'zel was abducted, Yenna disappears as soon as the conversation with Orin happens where she impersonates Lae'zel. I could try going back to the point before Lae'zel was captured and long resting a few times to try and get the scene where Yenna and Lae'zel face off to trigger, but that's 20-30 hours ago in my PT. I filed a bug report hoping Larian brings Yenna back. I just worry Grub will miss her.

Interesting, Yenna stayed in my camp until the end of the game! I was playing my evil drow run, so I only talked to her to tell her to leave 3 times (which obviously wasn't working). No suspicious children loitering in camp while there are doppelgangers around!

Then I got the scene in the sewers, and Yenna stayed in camp. Never bothered talking to her again.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by DeeperThought
My experience is that even though Lae'zel was abducted, Yenna disappears as soon as the conversation with Orin happens where she impersonates Lae'zel. I could try going back to the point before Lae'zel was captured and long resting a few times to try and get the scene where Yenna and Lae'zel face off to trigger, but that's 20-30 hours ago in my PT. I filed a bug report hoping Larian brings Yenna back. I just worry Grub will miss her.

In my playthrough, after you see through Orin she will release Yenna and mock you after passing the dice check. You then have the option to talk to Yenna afterwards and she's super freaked out and says she will never be safe. Then she's totally OK the next day and offers you soup. Grub never gains any new dialogue.

I think they ran out of time to develop Yenna or assumed that because for many players she will be the one chosen or lost, they just didn't bother to build her up as a character with any real conversation. I had more conversation with some girl at the cemetery in Act 3 than I did with Yenna, it's crazy.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Yenna is creepy as hell. I don't know if it's her looks or voice or both but she creeper me out from the moment I laid eyes on her.

Children should be like art. Quiet, still and appreciated from a distance

I'm annoyed. In two of my playthrough NONE of this happened. I have never seen an abduction cutscene in the sewers or at camp; Yenna just vanished one day. A companion was abducted, it was all very weird without any sort of cutscene or explanation. So much stuff has been missing from these two playthroughs...

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by Raz415
I'm annoyed. In two of my playthrough NONE of this happened. I have never seen an abduction cutscene in the sewers or at camp; Yenna just vanished one day. A companion was abducted, it was all very weird without any sort of cutscene or explanation. So much stuff has been missing from these two playthroughs...

The game has a lot of bugs. My Barcus I rescued and talked to in Grymforge and promised to help free the gnomes at Moonrise went with Thulla to the Myconid colony. He's supposed to show up at Last Light Inn in Act 2, never did for me. Rescue Wulbren, mentioning Barcus sent me, Barcus is nowhere to be found. I explored every single nook and cranny of the Act 2 map, so I know Barcus didn't die. What's more, I get to Act 3, go to the Ironhand Gnome hideout, find Thulla there, but not Barcus, when they were the same group of gnomes rescued at Grymforge. Thulla cannot even be talked to, I click her and nothing.

I take Wulbren's Runepowder bomb, save all the Gondians in both Throne and Foundry, use the rune powder bomb on the foundry, everyone lives, Wulbren wants to go full racist on Gondians, I talk him down, he walks away angry. Barcus nowhere to be found.

BUT, the journal tells me Wulbren has been deposed. Impossible, you can only depose him with Barcus present, so the game is assuming Barcus is alive and present in Act 3 when he disappeared since Act 1. Bug confirmed by other people on reddit. Really narrative breaking bugs.

Then there's the whole interaction with Gortash after throne/foundry where you have to use an invisibility pot in order to not trigger a perma combat bug and be able to have dialogue with him pre-encounter. And even then, the nobles talk and act like pre-Gortash coronation.

Act 3 is a mess, luckily my messes were limited to those two, not more aggravating ones like companions quests, etc. They really will need to revamp Act 3 imo, it's just a narrative mess and all that Orpheus derailment did was make things worse. I really feel like a repeat of DOS2 pre-definitive edition.

Last edited by Zenith; 05/09/23 10:37 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I've done some research, got Yenna back.

Loaded the autosave from entering Abandoned Cistern. Immediately went to camp, dismissed Lae'zel and long rested, got Shadowheart's romance scene. Killed the Bhaal cultists in Abandoned Cistern, lightly looted, long rested again, still in the sewers. Shadowheart wanted to talk again.

Went up the greasy, slimy climb (or whatever) exit and ran outside and due west to Volo. Killed the Bhaal cultists, saved Volo, spoke with Volo back at camp and long rested AGAIN. Got the scene where "Lae'zel" (Orin) threatens to kill Yenna. Yenna is traumatized with the knowledge Orin exists currently, but I'm told once Orin is dead she'll get over it.

Forgot to cast "Speak with Animals" and Grub hissed at me. I'm sorry, Grub.

My theory is that one of two things causes Yenna to disappear for good:

1. Triggering Orin's kidnapping by wandering too far into the sewers (thereby causing the scene where the kidnapping victim flees Orin, not the scene where Orin holds a knife to Yenna).

2. Having other queued-up "nighttime" scenes that are due to occur upon your next long rest interfering with getting the one you want (Shadowheart's romance scene in my case).

Edit: Yenna is fine come morning. I paid her 11,000g for four bowls of soup and looked at the load times to restore this non-cursed universe where Yenna is safe: 18 hours, 17 minutes. Maybe in a future playthrough, Yenna.

Last edited by DeeperThought; 05/09/23 11:25 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard