Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Users have complained about missing content due to lack of long resting since early access. I'm surprised this is still a problem but it is. So here are my suggestions. Sorry if these have already been made by others. I don't read every post, but I would be surprised if these haven't been suggested by others. If so, add this to the tally...

- Minimum: Have an explanation point appear over the camp button when a cut-scene is pending. Just like the one we see over people's heads when they have something to say. This would be relatively cheap and easy to implement and would at least make people aware that they are missing stuff by avoiding rest. Even if the enhanced ideas below are deemed too complicated/difficult, I think this simple tweak would do wonders for people's experience.

- Better: Minimum + When someone hits the SHORT REST button, if there is an explanation point on the camp button, prompt the player with a reaction style prompt: "Cut-scene pending. Do you wish to Partial Rest Instead?" The first time this happens, a tutorial message should pop up explaining that partial resting WHEN CUTSCENES ARE PENDING will not progress game timelines or count against you if a time-sensitive quest is running." If they hit yes, take them directly to camp and kick off partial rest and thus the cut scene.

- Best: Minimum + When that explanation point first appears, a tutorial style message pops up stating when the explanation point appears a cut-scene is available and will begin when you next rest. Furthermore, resting (Long or Partial) WHEN A CUT SCENE IS PENDING (When the explanation point is visible) will not progress game timelines or impact time sensitive quests. Then the explanation point becomes more than just a heads up for a cut scene. It provides a sense of pacing. It becomes a beacon to let people know when it is safe to long rest without dire consequences.

Keep up the great work Larian!

Boz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
This is a duplicate.
The problem is that some quests are very time sensitive, and it is not made obvious which ones, and how much.

I don't want to think about why my eye is itching.
OP Offline
@Boz - I understand that others have brought up the issue and made suggestions. But your comment makes it feel like you didn't actually read the suggestions.

All three address time-sensitivity in their own way. The "minimum" suggestion just provides a heads up, but the explanation point on the camp icon provides no promise about safety. It doesn't solve the peace of mind issue with Long Resting or provide any pacing guidance. Just awareness that content is being missed. Still useful though. The other two suggestions are basically asking Larian to take a stance (with code support). When the explanation point appears, resting should effectively have no impact on game time. IE: Resting at that point would be the same as going to camp and returning without actually resting. Whether they would actually allow people to long rest or would only allow a free Partial Rest is a matter of debate. The way I see it, Partial Rest is their invention anyway, so why not expand its use to solve this problem and provide some ease of mind.

addict
addict
Not a bad suggestion. +1

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
The BEST option is this:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=106882&Number=890937#Post890937
Just making all your ready long rest events happen. Not leaving them queued to happen one by one rest by rest.
If I get so far without needing to rest that I have 5 queued events ready, then when I do rest all 5 should happen.

Boz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dheuster
@Boz - I understand that others have brought up the issue and made suggestions. But your comment makes it feel like you didn't actually read the suggestions.

All three address time-sensitivity in their own way. The "minimum" suggestion just provides a heads up, but the explanation point on the camp icon provides no promise about safety. It doesn't solve the peace of mind issue with Long Resting or provide any pacing guidance. Just awareness that content is being missed. Still useful though. The other two suggestions are basically asking Larian to take a stance (with code support). When the explanation point appears, resting should effectively have no impact on game time. IE: Resting at that point would be the same as going to camp and returning without actually resting. Whether they would actually allow people to long rest or would only allow a free Partial Rest is a matter of debate. The way I see it, Partial Rest is their invention anyway, so why not expand its use to solve this problem and provide some ease of mind.
I did; the "have the event happen, but not have time move forward" is the only counter to the problem, and it seems very clunky to me.

I don't want to think about why my eye is itching.
veteran
veteran
There should be a ! over the rest icon when there is an event, similar to when a companion wants to talk to you.

The game should not tell the players how often they should rest.
The game should also tell you that resting will fail some quests while it is needed to advance others.
It does not help that the game is usually timeless and the timer only starts when you reach a certain location or reach a certain point of a quest.
Currently it is absolutely not clear when exactly a timer starts.
So far I did not fail a quest because of resting. It seems clear that you should not rest while you are in a burning building or you try to save a child from monsters.
But there was one point where I was running all over the map to find out how to continue a quest and then it turns out that I had to rest so that some NPC move from one place to another.

BTW, there is a reason to rest often even when you are not exhausted after a battle: Merchants have limited gold to buy all the stuff you find.
The fact that they also restock rations makes food a non issue, in the unlikely case you do not find enough food on your own.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
OP Offline
@Dext. Paladin: Thanks for the feedback.

@The Old Soul: I would welcome any update that helped to resolve the issue, but I think that seemingly simple suggestion (played all queued cut-scenes at once) is very loaded. Many cut-scenes are designed to take place in a certain sequence with a strong assumption of time passing between the scenes. And each scene takes liberties with the evening timeline. Larian would have to label all the scenes with tags and then make a scene manager to evaluate what could be played during the current rest while still making sense. And then after all that work... does it really solve the issue? If the first cut-scene is a high-priority scene that starts in the evening before going to bed and ends just before waking up the next morning, there could still be 4 scenes queued. People could still be unaware of pending scenes and miss content. Here is a more concrete example if you don't mind some minor spoilage:

I started this post because I was playing The Dark Urge. I was almost DONE with Act 1 without a single rest when I saw a post on here about it being important to rest if you are playing that character. Good thing. First long rest, my character starts the night off being woken by a wanderer seeking shelter. The next morning, just before everyone wakes up, the character has another interaction with the wanderer. Then... the next long rest, another important character shows up, supposedly they found the player because of their interaction with the wanderer from night 1... Not only do these cut-scenes make it clear they are on separate nights, but there is also a strong assumption that some time passed between these two events. A cut-scene manager might be able to squeeze Wyll's special cut-scene in before before the Dark Urge cut-scenes since Wyll's supposedly happen as you are approaching camp, but you certainly couldn't squeeze in a date with Shadowheart. It wouldn't make sense. Or rather, it would be obvious that your "long rest" was at least 2 if not 3 separate nights of resting. That would feel more klunky than a no-consequence partial-rest IMO.

So while I would welcome such a feature, I fear the edge cases make it a big-budget request that might never happen. I want to focus on suggestions that are budget friendly as I feel those have a better chance of implementation.

@Boz: There really is no reason they couldn't give us an explanation point on the camp icon. It would help and it wouldn't be "clunky". As for the freeze time being clunky, Partial Rest is already clunky, so I don't see how re-purposing it to actually provide some value makes things any worse. I mean seriously... Has anyone reading this ever used partial rest for any reason other than checking to see if there are pending cut-scenes without wasting camp supplies? So why not embrace what people are ALREADY using it for and advertise it as being for that purpose. Freeze time on long rests does get a bit more clunky which is why it is its own suggestion. However I made it "best" because it telling people "Resting when the explanation point is visible will always be safe" is so much easier than explaining a special "Partial Rest" button will appear moments before you feel you are about to commit to a long rest (We promise!) that will allow you to see the cut-scene without conseuqence. If a new player is avoiding long rests, they are unlikely to even know Partial Rest is a thing. That is why I thought having Short Rest suggest it and link players directly to it makes sense.

@Madscientist: I agree with everything you said. I assume these are compiled/gathered from a number of other threads/suggestions, or are these all your own?

Last edited by Dheuster; 06/09/23 02:29 PM.
+1
My night rest cutscenes becomes outdated and unlogical plotwise, because i didn't sleep much in act 1

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Personally I don't think having all the queued scenes playing out all at one time makes sense in some instances.

Like if you're in a romance with someone and Astarion tries to bite you. Or the scenes with The Guardian. There's a few where they say they have to go. So they would go and immediately come back?

F
F
There is a mod that adds question mark on your character whenever long rest should invoke any event. I highly recommend it. I now see TONS of new content during my second playthrough that I've missed despite all efforts.

Last edited by Faust-RSI; 07/09/23 06:46 AM.
OP Offline
@Faust-RSI: Sounds good. Something is better than nothing, even if it is not on the camp icon. (Still prefer the "Long Rest" camp icon so that it doesn't irritate me if I am ignoring it intentionally because of game events).

I still hope Larian does something other than rely on modders to fix issues. IE: PS5 players may be able to install patches, but I doubt they can install mods. Though I don't own a PS5, so maybe I'm wrong?

addict
addict
Not having day/night cycles also doesn't help either. Would of been great that the game sort of pushes you to rest when the day ends (having some kind of "tired" status that can only be removed with long rests).
But yea it makes no immersive sense in a world with no time and its sunny 24/7...which I think the fundamental problem with all that missed long resting.

So we then need these UN-immersive things like having a question mark on the UI etc...as suggested.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 08/09/23 01:37 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
stranger
stranger
I think missing some contents are part of the game play. A very good feature of BG3 is that no matter how many things you missed, you can always find a path to continue the game and that makes your unique story.
technically it's very easy to make everything highlight making thousands red points on your map, yet it's very precious being confident to hide works, course they know you will play more than once.
therefore, personal I don't support this suggestion.

K
stranger
stranger
K
If you're okay with modding there's actually a mod for this, it puts an exclamation mark above your head whenever an event is available at camp.

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/1879

Last edited by Kamos174; 08/09/23 07:01 AM.
Just add a queue so you can see all of the queued cinematics in one rest. Instead of rest-watch spam.

Much better.

OP Offline
@Count Turnipsome: I have a list of gripes and the lack of a day/night cycle is certainly one of them. Yes, an "exhausted" condition that nerfed str+dex and maybe disabled map fast-travel (other than to camp) would be motivating, but again, I think those are big-budget requests that are unlikely to happen. But if something is easy enough for a modder to do it within a few weeks of the games release, certainly this suggestion should be within budget.

@VladimirYin: To each their own. I'm sure some have time to play the game 12 times over. I've seen some post as much. But others (like myself) only have so many hours in their day/life/week for games and are unlikely to play it from start to finish more than once or twice. Especially when there are other big games out there (Starfield... cough). So why not help players experience as much of the content as they can with each play-through?

@Kamos174: Thanks for the link. I'll probably try it if I ever get around to a second playthrough. I worry about installing a mod before I've completed the game incase it somehow breaks the game in a way that I can't recover. I wouldn't be as concerned ona second playthrough... if I ever play it a second time.

Link Copied to Clipboard