Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
stranger
stranger
P
Throw me on the list of frustrated players who want information on the Mac version.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Please give us information about Mac version.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Vyse
Originally Posted by Salo
Xbox & Mac
An official Mac release is planned for later this month – more details to follow.

With all due respect, could you please improve the communication on the mac version of the game a little bit?
The game is currently being sold on Steam at full price for mac and windows without clearly stating that the mac version is still in early access and that the early access saves are not going to be compatible with the full release. I personally learned that the hard way when I heard that the game released and saw it was one of the few games that got a mac version at all and bought it based on the information I saw on the store page on steam.

When trying to figure out when the actual full release on mac might happen, we currently have to dig through every communication channel to find a single line in your discord FAQ that reads "Mac version is targeted for September 6th… mabye… no promises."
After not hearing anything on the subject for over a month, we get an update literally on the day of supposed release that says "We don't know, sometime later this month." and again, only if you know where to even find this information.

I am aware that macs are neither a big nor popular platform when it comes to gaming, but we still paid the full price for the game just like everybody else. All I am asking for in return is clear communication and maybe a status update every one or two weeks. Larian is a decently sized studio with hundreds of employees. You must have a target release date for every platform you are working on, especially this close to release. Why is it so hard to just ask one of the developers working on the mac version what a realistic release date would be and then communicate that to us with a note that there might still be delays depending on how things go until then? Instead we went from simultaneous release for all platforms to rumors about a same day release with the PS5 version to no actual date at all. Communication literally got worse with every update.

It is fine if the mac version still needs more work and will release later.
It is fine if apple is being difficult with the certification process.
It is fine if things change down the line.

About the only thing that isn't fine is hardly communicating at all and keeping us guessing all the time.
If possible, could you please improve on that at least a little in the future even though we are a minority compared to other platforms?

Account created to give +1 to this comment.

It was devastating to realize that the early access saves are not going to work in full release. There was absolutely no information about it anywhere.

Paid the full prize without knowing that it's still in early access state with OSX. There was no mention about that either.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I also created an account just to chime in my support for the sentiment: The communication regarding the macOS version has been abysmal.

I would also like to point out that it seems that Larian does not monitor its own forums. Given the volume of these complaints, it seems strange that they have not responded. The only reason I can come up is that they just don't read the forums. There is not a single employee who would escalate this pushback to the leadership level because all the communications are handled by some two-bit PR company whose employees can't be bothered to read anything. They just open the forum to post.

Last edited by maalla; 10/09/23 10:47 AM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Message or tweet Salo. As community manager, she is responsible.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by eggsfordays
Message or tweet Salo. As community manager, she is responsible.

One the one hand, if somebody wants to contact Salo directly (or send a question via Larian Support's form/email address), and ask for info, that sounds fine. But be careful of not turning this into harassment of a person.

One the other hand, I would bet that she is not (primarily) responsible for Larian's very poor communication, be it regarding the release on Mac or in general.

Larian's communication was poor since the beginning of EA. Salo joined just over a year ago, and has a junior role. The Communication Team has a Team Leader. That Team Leader reports to Swen, or to someone who reports to Swen (or to somone who reports to someone who ... though I suspect the chain to the top is probably not overly long). Possibly, the communication policy (which involves not engaging with players, as well not caring too much about providing players with clear and correct information) was designed by the Communication Team Leader, and junior team members are merely tasked with delivering said communication policy, not designing it. Also possibly, Larian's communication philosophy/vision was designed by the person (or people) that the Communication Teams reports to, and the Communication Team as a whole is merely tasked with communicating as per that vision.

Having said that, I certainly understand that, since Larian gave Salo the job title of Community Manager, it is easy to be mistaken into thinking that Community Management should happen, and that it would then logically be coming from Salo. It's an unfortunate naming, and it is a case of Larian's communication being bad on a meta level.

Originally Posted by maalla
I would also like to point out that it seems that Larian does not monitor its own forums. Given the volume of these complaints, it seems strange that they have not responded. The only reason I can come up is that they just don't read the forums.

I would not be so sure. It could be that they don't monitor the forums enough and have not picked up on that. It could be that Larian is very well aware of players being unhappy about the poor communication regarding the Mac release, but they just don't think it's worth engaging with players. Both hypotheses are not exclusive. But in the present case, given that the complaints have been going on for a few days, I would lean more toward Larian knowing and simply not answering.

Originally Posted by maalla
There is not a single employee who would escalate this pushback to the leadership level because all the communications are handled by some two-bit PR company whose employees can't be bothered to read anything. They just open the forum to post.

I'm pretty sure that all the folks that constitute Larian's Communication Team are fully employed directly by Larian.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
But be careful of not turning this into harassment of a person.

That. Please do not harass any individual people over this. I may have strong feelings about the whole situation, but that is just about the the only way in which we would make it even worse for everybody involved.

There is no point in yelling at the community managers as they can only communicate to us what has been shared with them. The policy on complaints seems to be not to really react to such feedback directly as there is probably not much else they can say other than what has already been said. Regrettable, given that a simple "we're sorry" or anything of the sort would go a long way at this point, but even such statements would have to be aligned and reviewed with all sorts of people first…

That being said, I sure hope that they forward a summary of these reactions internally to whoever is responsible and that they make appropriate choices based on that.

I mean it is not just here. The steam forums are pretty upset about the lack of information on the mac release, both on the store page as well as on the release date of the mac version. I've seen people asking/complaining on their discord server as well.

So yeah, whoever is responsible hopefully gets reports on all of that. My mood has certainly soured because all of this and I will be very careful if I ever purchase something from Larian again in the future, no matter which platform that purchase might be on. If they keep this up, I will not purchase from them anymore at all. That is about all we can do as customers, if no communication is happening.

Yelling at Salo personally certainly won't improve anything, letting them know how we feel about the situation however, will hopefully get forwarded to the right address at least. Given how many people claim to have created accounts on this forum, just for the purpose of voicing their support/frustration on this issue, I am sure they have noticed without people dm-ing them and I would at least hope that is getting forwarded.

On a different note, I also still have that nasty suspicion, that they did all of this on purpose because of some marketing offer they got from apple after the hype surrounding the PC launch. "We promote your game on our iPhone/Sonoma event if you release close to, or on the same day as the event." Put an NDA on top and that would explain the lack of communication and why the game got pushed back without a firm release date…

If solid evidence for such a scenario ever pops up, fecal matter will indeed hit the rotary air impeller resulting in a permanent negative effect of my perception of this company…

C
stranger
stranger
C
Xbox & Mac
An official Mac release is planned for later this month – more details to follow.

With all due respect, could you please improve the communication on the mac version of the game a little bit?
The game is currently being sold on Steam at full price for mac and windows without clearly stating that the mac version is still in early access and that the early access saves are not going to be compatible with the full release. I personally learned that the hard way when I heard that the game released and saw it was one of the few games that got a mac version at all and bought it based on the information I saw on the store page on steam.

When trying to figure out when the actual full release on mac might happen, we currently have to dig through every communication channel to find a single line in your discord FAQ that reads "Mac version is targeted for September 6th… mabye… no promises."
After not hearing anything on the subject for over a month, we get an update literally on the day of supposed release that says "We don't know, sometime later this month." and again, only if you know where to even find this information.

I am aware that macs are neither a big nor popular platform when it comes to gaming, but we still paid the full price for the game just like everybody else. All I am asking for in return is clear communication and maybe a status update every one or two weeks. Larian is a decently sized studio with hundreds of employees. You must have a target release date for every platform you are working on, especially this close to release. Why is it so hard to just ask one of the developers working on the mac version what a realistic release date would be and then communicate that to us with a note that there might still be delays depending on how things go until then? Instead we went from simultaneous release for all platforms to rumors about a same day release with the PS5 version to no actual date at all. Communication literally got worse with every update.

About the only thing that isn't fine is hardly communicating at all and keeping us guessing all the time.
If possible, could you please improve on that at least a little in the future even though we are a minority compared to other platforms?

+1. Bad example of communication. Customers all hate intransparency and costly information acquisition

stranger
stranger
Still no twitch drops for ps5 players..

B
stranger
stranger
B
+1 to Mac frustrated users

S
stranger
stranger
S
Another Mac user who feels ripped off.

weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird weird

Not a problem of a launch delay (also knowing apple's policies) but there is no mention on steam that the game is in early access. I would like Larian, as it got my money, and the money of many other users, to clarify this point. Not by telling us "it's coming soon," but by letting us know exactly what is going on. Maybe even urging steam to give notice on this. if you wanted to be put in the class of thieves, all you had to do was ask....

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by cantarellaz
Xbox & Mac

+1. Bad example of communication. Customers all hate intransparency and costly information acquisition

Exactly. MAC USER UNITED! this is not the way to treat people that use so much the computer for work and wait years to have a game to play on it! We are PERSONS just like you! horsey WE NEED BG3 NOW!

P
stranger
stranger
P
The lack of any response just reinforces the idea that they don't care.

I've been playing via Parallels, which is a degraded experience even in the first two acts (the ground plane often doesn't render, which makes navigation harder; loads and saves are slow), but I've hit a point in the third act where I had to give up because I was spending half my time waiting for the game to load and then it would crash after 20 minutes of play (often while saving). I'd feel so much better about this if I knew what was going on so I could tell myself I'll be able to finish my game on date X, when the game is going to finally release.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Shields up, Mac users! We've done of searching for any piece of information about release date. Larian, come on! Just a simple note about current state of macos build, that's all what we need!

L
stranger
stranger
L
At this point I think it's pretty safe to say the idea that Larian was waiting for Apple's 'Wonderlust' event to make an announcement (or maybe be that 'one more thing' we used to get) has come to naught.

Are we waiting for Apple to drop Mac OS Sonoma on the 26th with its purportedly enhanced gaming experience? Does keeping Act 3 from bogging down somehow require it? That'd be half-crap because the new gaming mode only works on the newer Macs with Apple Silicon and we know we had a functioning version of the game pretty much all the way through early access that worked on anything running Metal 2.2 We don't all run Apple Silicon boxes. But if that's what we're waiting for, just tell us.

The silence is unacceptable.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Salo, is there any way you could update the ps5 community on the state of split screen coop. You will have seen on the big thread there is a 6 page discussion on how borderline unplayable it is due to increasingly long freezes when character switching, turn changes, character allocation, grouping, splitting etc... and really long freezes when summoning.

The lack of communication and recognition of this as a serious game breaking bug for all those who got the game for ps5 local coop, based on how excellent Larian delivered in DOS I and II, is perhaps the one of the more frustrating aspects. You have a lot of community good will based on the development of bg3 and previous successes, but it's waning quickly with ps5 players who want to local coop.

apprentice
apprentice
As a Mac user, I have the same frustration with the unknown release date. This pattern of communication is in line with the last few patches of EA though, when the Mac release started to fall behind. There was no messaging when the Mac EA patch would be released...it just was and there would be a Community Update. At this point, I am expecting the same.

For the Steam folks here, it sounds like a lot of this anger should be directed at Steam. If you look at the game on GOG, there is a clear message, albeit much lower on the page, that the Mac version has not been released yet. Sounds like Steam should do the same.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/0Ywco41[/img]

Anyway, excited to play natively when it becomes available.

Last edited by corporal8; 13/09/23 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Didsy
Salo, is there any way you could update the ps5 community on the state of split screen coop. You will have seen on the big thread there is a 6 page discussion on how borderline unplayable it is due to increasingly long freezes when character switching, turn changes, character allocation, grouping, splitting etc... and really long freezes when summoning.

The lack of communication and recognition of this as a serious game breaking bug for all those who got the game for ps5 local coop, based on how excellent Larian delivered in DOS I and II, is perhaps the one of the more frustrating aspects. You have a lot of community good will based on the development of bg3 and previous successes, but it's waning quickly with ps5 players who want to local coop.

Fully agree! There are easily 4-6 threads dedicated to this glaring issue and it would be nice if we at least got acknowledgement that they know about it and are working on it.

There is no reason split screen needs to be permanent. Make it work like it did in the Divinity games.

Last edited by Tom Imp; 13/09/23 05:55 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
And there it is... Mac version drops on Sept 21

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1702023251478667279

S
stranger
stranger
S
No crossplay so who cares... this is empty, great they are getting the Love as this game is wonderful... but legit could care less because no crossplay so I still can't play with certain friends.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard