Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
300+ hours at this point in this game and I love it. Thank you Larian for a truly great game!

I'm struggling with putting it at the top of my list though and, other than the endings being a nothing-burger and your decisions not amounting to a whole lot, there's another thing I believe is hampering this game a lot.

One of my most favorite things, and I think a lot of our favorite things, is hitting that Long Rest button and excitedly hoping for a fun sequence to happen. Either there's an exclamation point over someone's head or when you go to bed, something happens. And throughout Act 1 and a fair amount of Act 2, these happen at a frequency that keeps everything interesting!

But Act 3 drops off a cliff hard.

Not only is it few and far between that you have anything AT ALL happen at camp, but when you just finished a large/important mission and you go around to your companions, they either have nothing to say about it or you get a one-liner and your character doesn't get to ask any questions.

Basically, a decision has been made in this act that we no longer need to get to know these characters and I believe that is a serious error considering this game is all about getting to know them. Especially after the companion missions were "done" and you've "completed" your romance story. I mean, you just did something big for them, wouldn't that mean they'd be more willing to open up to you? Why does this mean they no longer have opinions on your choices?

Example:
I went through The House of Hope after "completing" Astarion's story. Astarion was my romance in this playthrough. Astarion's big thing he emphasized throughout getting to know him was freedom and the ability to have agency over your own body and actions.
A mission to get rid of a contract actively hampering your agency, especially after it's been established that he cares for you in particular, would likely hit a note for him. Additionally, having the Haarlep scene where he basically has to witness you giving over and aspect of your freedom in exchange for a chance at larger freedom I would imagine would also elicit a reaction.
Not just with him, we defeated a devil and broke a contract, this is a big deal!

And....nothing. Not a word. You go to camp and there's no cutscene or anything. You go to your companions and Astarion and...nothing. You broke a contract with devil and you don't even get a snarky comment from Mizora like...why is she even here? To awkwardly proposition you for sex and then say & do nothing the rest of the game??

This isn't even the only example, we fight Auntie Ethel again, destroy the Iron Throne, discover The Emporer is Balduran, dismantle crime syndicates, blow up a factory aaaannnnddd....nothing. I can't get a peep out of my companions. Are they even here anymore?

Larian, it's SO DISSAPOINTING. PLEASE. DO SOMETHING.

I acknowledge it's a huge undertaking. Depending on choice, there could be months worth of new lines for VA's and such. But Act 3 is so boring as a result and you have some of the most amazing story beats set up in that Act! Just implement the same process you did in the previous acts! PLEASE!

Thank you again, we all appreciate you.

#JusticeForAstarion
Online Content
Yep. It's just sad to go talk to a companion and all you have to say is "Time for you to stay at camp" or "Goodbye".

Jaheira and Minsc are a lot better in this regard, they are quite good on commenting on whatever is happening and even discussing it sometimes. Hoping for more for the other companions!

F
stranger
stranger
F
I made a forum account just to say this lol. What pushed me over the edge was this:
If you kill Tara, the most you get from Gale is "Tara! No!" and a minor hit to approval. At the very least he should leave the party, maybe have some kind of super high persuasion check to get him to stay. (I felt awful for doing it, but I'm doing an Evil Durge so... But apparently I, the player, felt worse about it than Gale did?)
Other than that, I really adore this game, but the companions do fall a little flat in Act III.

addict
addict
The third act actually looks very unfinished. These are reactions, quests, and even some animations. Even the dialogs between companions don't work correctly for me. Some reactions was in the first patch, but also disappeared in the second. I do not know if it is a bug, an update or something else... So hopefully Larian will add some activity x_x

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
apprentice
apprentice
act 1 is the best constructed, the companions have many interactions, in act 2 there is a drop in notable interactions, even more if you spent a lot of time in act 1. Act 3 practically nothing happens with several companions. The Gale that was my romance throughout the game in the end only had the tower and a scene with Mystra... I found it very sad

journeyman
journeyman
I'm wondering if the lack of reactions to certain scenes is just bugged? My example: (spoilers for Dark Urge below)

Upon going into talk to Gortash early in Act 3 as the Dark Urge, and he pretty much reveals not just to my character, but the whole party that she helped to plot the whole mess we're in, etc? AND NOT ONE REACTION FROM THE COMPANIONS AFTER THIS BIG REVEAL????

Surely this is a bug and not intended? Because how could they NOT react to this? Well, other than a new pet name from a romanced Astarion.

Last edited by SheWildWolf; 21/09/23 01:38 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SheWildWolf
I'm wondering if the lack of reactions to certain scenes is just bugged? My example: (spoilers for Dark Urge below)

Upon going into talk to Gortash early in Act 3 as the Dark Urge, and he pretty much reveals not just to my character, but the whole party that she helped to plot the whole mess we're in, etc? AND NOT ONE REACTION FROM THE COMPANIONS AFTER THIS BIG REVEAL????

Surely this is a bug and not intended? Because how could they NOT react to this? Well, other than a new pet name from a romanced Astarion.

Only Karlach has a an in-cutscene reaction about that event. Post cutscene it's the same crap as Emperor revealing he was behind Stelmane's stroke, can't discuss it with anyone...

Also, romanced ascended and spawn Astarion has exactly the same lines for Dark Urge's
Orin duel aftermath. Line for line exactly the same things to say. Ascended even has that conversation about lost mad love after you lose Orin's duel and Bhaal curses you with madness. People on youtube claimed it was "spawn" specific but I tested it and ascended also had those lines to say. Also, spawn Astarion had the line about Bhaal's dowry and sitting on his lap while he rules over Bhaal's hordes... like what? He should be disgusted by Durge accepting Bhaal's "gift" but no.
Reactivity in act 3 is a mess...

Link Copied to Clipboard