Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
PATCH #3 changed all of the dye color schemes for the worse, and in big ways!!!!! I miss the more muted colors from patch 2, because I literally used all of them for my armor sets! Flawed Helldusk Armor for example, was so cool with the blue dye! It turned your armor gold with a blue skirt. That armor changed to be majorly boring in patch 3! Now the colors got changed to be all a monotone silver and blue, and it’s absolutely annoying. I got so used to the armor muted colors and they had a charm, as well as feeling more natural looking to the design of each armor. Instead now what we have is all of these dyes seem to give a singular monotone color based on what dye it is. Swamp green now overpowers a regular chain shirt with green dye all over the sleeves but also the brown leather.

Instead of making separate NEW dyes for these colors, they just went ahead and rebuilt all of the dyes from scratch, and in my opinion it’s WORSE now. This has broken my Emerson and made subsequent playthroughs for me even tougher to chew on, because I can’t get my unique character looking like I did in the first playthrough I made!

It makes me sick to think that the playthrough I finished is now basically invalidated because the color schemes in that one were just a “patch notes” version of the game, and not a feature complete version.

Please Larian, if you want to “fix” anything in the next patch, fix these dyes. Change them back! Either get rid of the new ones, or make it so we can find the old dyes via a new batch of dyes in the shops. Just PLEASE for the love of god give me back my Blue Dye that changed my Flawed Helldusk Armor to shiny muted gold and blue! It looked so sick!

Last edited by Dragonlance181; 23/09/23 05:04 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
I agree. I really enjoyed the color combinations with the previous dyes and the new revisions seem like a step backwards. They are much less interesting to look at and have removed some of the unique accenting on some armors. Really disappointed in this change. If any dye edits are to be made I would make those additions and not complete removals of the old color schemes.

veteran
veteran
I would have preferred a palette similar to the cosmetics options in character creation for stuff like make-up or skin tone etc.

Instead of a couple dozen dyes you have 4

Trim dye
Minor color dye
Major color dye
Eraser dye

Major dyes could be more expensive and only available later in the campaign to allow for a sense of aesthetic progression over time.

I find the dye names confusing and inconsistent. They remind me of buying house paint. I don't need "Swiss Coffee" or "Eggshell" (house paints there not BG3 dye names, but it's similar here.) I'd rather they followed whatever naming conventions are used in the palette.

The important thing is to have the dyes specify a component of the gear. Then we wouldn't need these triple color combos.

Standard palette is going to have 256 colors available. In combination that's thousands of named dyes. It'd be easier to have the dye key off the component, then let the player choose the color.

They could still gate it by color family/group but that seems like a ton of work.

I agree some dyes looked cooler prior to patch 3 but others didn't grab me at all. Depending on the equipment and the color combo

veteran
veteran
Just a quick follow up, so say they did want to gate it by color family.

Instead of having "swamp green" you'd just have a dye called "Trim Green"

This could unlock that whole color range going from Charteuse all the way to a deep vert green. Player picks which one they want.

Maybe Act 1 has many Trim Dye merchants. When you hit Act 2 many more Minor Dyes, Act 3 lots of Major Dyes.

Currently dyes replenish randomly right? Merchants will show a mixed bag every day. But I think maybe they should be more set, so Arron and Mattis might get us started with the basics, but you'd still have progression over time.

Metallic tints are a bit trickier, cause they have sheen. Currently they are treated the same as dyes.

Instead of Dyes equipment with metal components should have "paint and polish" and these could be more expensive than dyes.

Previewing would be cool for this before we commit and the dye is expended.

Finally at level up, it'd be cool to see the dyed/tinted colors displayed there instead of reverting to the base color scheme (undyed version.)

Just some ideas

Link Copied to Clipboard