Page 1 of 2 1 2
#902928 25/09/23 04:18 AM
L
Lelielz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I'm immensely grateful for the consistent updates and changes, but I'm really really sad about some of the character design changes and the animations that are being removed :(((((((((((((

why is raphael's hair now black??? all of his key art and in-game sprites show him with brown hair, changing it black all the sudden doesnt make any sense......

why is his majesty now a white furry cat?

why do the dialogues now only show tav's face instead of your companions reaction? I would rather watch the micro- movements of my companions faces than my own!

various animations have been changed, most for the better but some have become far more boring than the original animation on release date!! FOR EXAMPLE :
astarion's "dismiss" animation where he jokingly says "i guess ill have to lounge around while you do all the hard work.. it sounds awful" He used to do this cute sneer/snooty face that gave his character a ton of life and now its GONE?

i love this game so much, so grateful that the devs are so involved and active... but PLEASE dont change things that are already totally fine and established!! these things are totally unnecessary and its sad to see them go :(((

stranger
stranger
I agree with you on all points. These little changes have totally offset my joy with the game.

Especially the "Camera stuck on Tav" change. I now no longer get to enjoy any of Astarion's charming expressions, which when they do show, are now muted from how exuberant they originally were.

Having the camera on my Tav is even worse because no matter who he's talking to, whether romance companion or not, he has a perpetually deadpan facial expression.

Definitely not happy about all the random changes to Raphael. He looked perfectly before.

The only bug that needed to be fixed on Raphael was his random bald spot during his fight scene.

Now his horns are missing and he got a bad dye job.

Last edited by Denathrius; 25/09/23 04:35 AM.
L
Lelielz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
i REALLY hope they listen to fan feedback and change these things back... there was no reason to change them in the first place, unless it's somehow a bug! Sometimes the original stuff on release date was actually perfect! doesn't need to be changed!

stranger
stranger
Being able to see the expressions of your companions change based on the approval rating was so incredibly emotionally immersive for me. I really miss it. Not that I mind tavs expressions but I care about the companions so much more. No change they have made to the game so far has made me so incredibly sad.

and raphaels aesthetic changes are so extremely confusing to me?? Why did they feel the need to change something that So so many of us liked and appreciated and now are arguably quite attached to. Not to mention the shade of black makes it look like he dyed his hair with black box dye. Its just so jarring and unfitting IMO.

L
Lelielz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
i totally agree... these things may seem minuscule but they totally ruined my game when i saw them! it broke immersion for me and i just shut the game down and went to check the forums... theres also a glitch right now with gale where, even if you have really high approval with him, he treats you like shit throughout his personal quest scenes. totally sucks!!! i understand why they need to patch stuff, and once again i'm really grateful for the amount of care put into this game but man... i would rather it be un-patched if it means that we dont get these weird jarring changes anymore.....

veteran
veteran
In short, don't show it off till it's done. If it's not done, don't show it at all. Once you show it, don't change it again, unless you're going to give the option to have both somehow. But how can they do that and invite observation and critical feedback to allow thumbs on the scale?

They have a nice sketch, but want to keep working it. Transfer paper that thing to the new canvas where they can work it up separately, rather than painting over the cool sketch. The sketch sometimes has that special something that can't be reproduced when overwrought.

Such a conundrum for a game of this sort.

The problem is setting up an expectation that something will be as it is, getting people to love it, then pulling the rug out. You can do that, but only if you first get everyone used to constant flux and transience and letting go. EA could have been that way, but it wasn't really. This is like Star Wars. Don't think it won't be, cause it will. Well ok, not quite like that. But if they're not careful it will alienate onw quarter to service another. They could learn from that I bet. About what happens anytime a change comes for a thing, once people dig it and buy in fully. How many directors cuts will there be? Some will want restoration. Some will want the new. How to decide what can change and what can't?

The best practice is to preserve the theatrical release in some fashion. DVD bonus feature basically? Are they going need the double disc gold box on this one? Too many people probably fell in love already hehe.

So tough. Very very tough. I feel for em, but also they need to be so selective now about what they revisit in an attempt to carry it off.

I think it can only be additive now, they can't substract or change. That must be quite paralyzing when deciding what to do with it.

stranger
stranger
Totally agree with all of you, guys. Nothing more to say.

journeyman
journeyman
I wanted to play again ... but ... now ...

The companions reactions .... gone .. I have to look all the time on MY FACE! mad This ... just .... mad WHY?

I don't know what they thought ... I can't imagine that the same people who made this wonderful game made this HORRIBLE, stupid Patch 3.

Last edited by Rappeldrache; 25/09/23 09:55 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Lelielz
theres also a glitch right now with gale where, even if you have really high approval with him, he treats you like shit throughout his personal quest scenes. totally sucks!!!

This happened to me too and it's miserable! I want my best friend back! Astarion also is cold to me even though we're technically an item. All his charming facial expressions are gone. Way to instantly suck the life out of the game, I feel like I progressed for hours for nothing, now everyone hates me and act like robots. This is so weird.

Last edited by Denathrius; 25/09/23 11:02 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
So tough. Very very tough. I feel for em, but also they need to be so selective now about what they revisit in an attempt to carry it off.

I think it can only be additive now, they can't substract or change. That must be quite paralyzing when deciding what to do with it.

Seems bg3 reached the point where although they made it isn't their game anymore...

Imo best thing they can do now is to just fix story and technical bugs and support modding as good as they can. While modders continue to come up with great stuff they should take their time to finish the late game main story / ending / epilogue instead of rushing changes or improvements of existing stuff. Later on, with renewed ownership, they could compile a definite edition with a more satisfying ending and maybe some of the great additions provided by the community.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
A
A
Originally Posted by Denathrius
I agree with you on all points. These little changes have totally offset my joy with the game.

Especially the "Camera stuck on Tav" change. I now no longer get to enjoy any of Astarion's charming expressions, which when they do show, are now muted from how exuberant they originally were.

Having the camera on my Tav is even worse because no matter who he's talking to, whether romance companion or not, he has a perpetually deadpan facial expression.

Definitely not happy about all the random changes to Raphael. He looked perfectly before.

The only bug that needed to be fixed on Raphael was his random bald spot during his fight scene.

Now his horns are missing and he got a bad dye job.

100% agree on everything. I hate the new camera angle that stuck on my Tav's face or her back. As a matter of fact I could do without a lot of their cinematic changes since release. Sure fix the bugs and clipping and obstructions if any present but why change it to the point that it looks completely different.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Yes, I completely agree with everything said here.

I'm hoping they listen to feedback and roll back these changes. I was immediately aware of and saddened by the camera's focus on tav's face, but I am only just comprehending the full extent of the animation changes. And yes, specifically I mean the astarian expressions. Even when speaking in some scenes, the camera is farther back than before and the emotions are gone. I'm not sure why they would intentionally remove a feature that someone clearly put so much work into and was so popular amongst the community.

Suffice it to say, I am devastated.

addict
addict
WTF is going on Larian?
Clearly you need to check up on one of your foreign studio team thats taking care of animation patches. Someone clearly though it was a great idea to do this without informing anybody about it.
Patch 3 will be known as the Mirror Troll patch.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 25/09/23 02:33 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
stranger
stranger
I totally agree. This whole thread needs to be posted to a billboard outside Larian Studios *grin*

I'm perplexed. Why did they choose to make these changes when there was no reason in the first place AND there are so many other bugs and quality of life issues they should be addressing.

I'm sad too, OP. Sad and disappointed.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Couldn't agree more!! Love this game and really appreciate the work that has gone into it -- it's easily the best game I've played in the last 10 years. But this last set of cosmetic updates seems like a step or two backwards. Really hoping they get rolled back.

stranger
stranger
Being able to see the expressions of your companion during some dialogue made it feel a lot more realistic and immersive like you yourself were the one speaking and looking at the companions. I would not say that I am sad or mad at the change, but more so hoping that they decide to revert most of the Patch 3 changes. I rather look at my companions when I am speaking to them, when I talk to someone in real life, I am looking at them, not myself. (but I know the game is not real life, regardless, the change was not needed) I am unsure how often the focus on Tav occurs, I stopped playing the game since the shared-bag options made it tedious since I cannot organize specific items to characters anymore without it all being sent back. (i probably will pick it back up, just give all characters different-looking chests that way I can contain all their items in one area and can easily be put back into specific companion inventories)

I know I mentioned it in other topics, but I agree that the random changes to Raphael's appearance and His Majesty were not needed and I preferred to have been left unchanged, I am unsure whose idea it was to request or give the idea that appearances need to be changed.

Last edited by Verzkyia; 25/09/23 03:53 PM.

Bow down and profess your love unto me. Or I shall destroy you.
stranger
stranger
YEAH! He says something like "it would be heartwarming if it were coming from the mouth of someone else. We are not close, you and I. Now why don't we just enjoy the rest of the night in SILence." to me telling him that there must be another way or something like that. It was so jarring cus my approval with him is like almost maxed out. And legit a little bit HURTFUL. when i first saw that scene i had to close the game and go to bed cus it legit made me sad askjdhakljsd

L
Lelielz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by dillweeds
YEAH! He says something like "it would be heartwarming if it were coming from the mouth of someone else. We are not close, you and I. Now why don't we just enjoy the rest of the night in SILence." to me telling him that there must be another way or something like that. It was so jarring cus my approval with him is like almost maxed out. And legit a little bit HURTFUL. when i first saw that scene i had to close the game and go to bed cus it legit made me sad askjdhakljsd

YES SAME HERE!! i literally got sooo sad! i reloaded a couple times to make sure i didnt do anything wrong, and when i couldnt fix his interaction, i just sulked and went to bed LMAO!!! Between a lot of major quests being BUGGED with this patch too (apparently wyll's storyline is unplayable for some people right now) and character interactions being DOWNGRADED... i feel SO bad for anyone whos playing the game for the first time this week :(((

U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
+1 to everything here.

I know its not how the system is intended ot be used, but it should be reported as glitches anyway IMHO

stranger
stranger
funnily enough right after i broke up with laezel for astarion it triggered the wyll dance scene right after even though hes NEVER been on my team this run. I have BAREly spoken to him in my current run and I felt SO fucking bad rejecting his dance cus hes so fucking sweet. This patch is giving me one Whammy after another and its really bumming me out ToT. I have more than 400 hrs in game a Ton of different runs and this patch has been honestly the most disheartening update yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard