Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
I"m a huge BG2 fan. Even SOLOED the Enhanced Edition of BG2 in Legacy of Bhaal difficulty with a pure RP build(necromancer).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

---------------------------------

That said, here is my suggestions to make BG3 better.
  • Costs and risks for using the tadpole powers - Tadpole powers are just free power ups, without any noticeable negative side.
  • Less XP in late game - You kill a random lv 1 vampire spawn who poses no threat? 400 xp, kill a bat with 1 hp? 210 xp. As an result, you quickly reach the lv cap.
  • More options to get rid of the parasyte. For eg, trying to bargain with Cazador to become a vampire. Or to the mage on the Sorcerous Sundries leader to create a artificial construct body and transport your soul there. Or a deal with the Devil. You can make a deal to Raphael for a item but not to get free from the tadpole.
  • Spells like summon elemental should have 10 turn duration and require concentration and if concentration break, become hostile towards the caster as P&P or like in BG2(2e D&D) have a risk of turning against the caster
  • Slayer form must be buffed and have stronger drawback. In BG2, it was ridiculous stronger but had a reputation cost and you could't spend much time in the form or die.
  • An easier way to install mods mainly in Linux(proton) and MAC OSX. I can't mod the game in my Debian.
  • Early Access character creation screen.
  • More ways to kill Astarion
  • Option to create a char with 18 int/cha/wis/str/con at the cost of having 6 in a secondary attribute
  • A option to play with higher lethality, like maximizing the damage output from players and enemies, for me who played too much bg2, the monsters have too much hp.
  • Allow all necromancer minion to be controlled and took all actions as one. They take too much time to act individually and with Dense Macabre + Animate dead, you can have easily 5 ghouls + 3 flying ghouls.
  • Allow the recast after rest without needing to search another corpse of animate dead

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 11/10/23 11:45 AM.
addict
addict
Words of wisdom. 100% agree. Particularly with less XP.

I would also add to have a mode like in PoE Deadfire were you can turn on RESTRICTIONS to the gameplay. Like for example NO shortrests. Limited scroll uses, hidden map, fewer OP magical items etc...And the more you turn these ON, the greater the difficulty/reward.

Again more OPTIONS Larian please, and no, please not more optional hair styles and colors.

<< Slayer form must be buffed and have stronger drawback. In BG2, it was ridiculous stronger but had a reputation cost and you could't spend much time in the form or die.>>
Those are the kind of detailed things I just love about BG2. Its all over the game. And why it is so great even 20 years later.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 11/10/23 01:29 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
And why it is so great even 20 years later.

I think that the best games, mainly RPG's are exactly the decade old ones. Not only BG2, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager, Temple of elemental evil, RAvenloft : Strahd possession, Menzoberranzan, so many great games in 90s and early 00s.

About restrictions PoE style, that would be great. Many games like Salt & Sanctuary also offers challenge runs.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
[*] Costs and risks for using the tadpole powers - Tadpole powers are just free power ups, without any noticeable negative side.
I can see value here. Although there are consequences, there should likely be more consequences in dialogue options, particularly at a certain point (and once a certain decision is made).

[*] Less XP in late game - You kill a random lv 1 vampire spawn who poses no threat? 400 xp, kill a bat with 1 hp? 210 xp. As an result, you quickly reach the lv cap.

I personally find that far too many combats late game seem to be designed around the level cap being achieved and find myself scrambling for XP just to overcome them. So, I would say that the XP amount is balanced (more or less) for somewhere in-between your skill level and mine? Either way, perhaps the solution is an additional skill level?

[*] More options to get rid of the parasyte. For eg, trying to bargain with Cazador to become a vampire. Or to the mage on the Sorcerous Sundries leader to create a artificial construct body and transport your soul there. Or a deal with the Devil. You can make a deal to Raphael for a item but not to get free from the tadpole.

um.... Astarian is a vampire and has the tadpoles. So, thinking that isn't a valid solution. Deal with the Devil? Didn't Wyll teach you anything? The construct is an interesting idea. But if that were an option, seems to me that a certain Arch Mage might have taken that way?

[*] More ways to kill Astarion
LOL

I don't have much to say about the rest.

I do have to comment that this post kinda makes me think of a post back in the day where the poster was commenting about how easy it was for them to beat Drzzts. Turns out that his blades couldn't damage Were-Bears. Who knew? But hey, play the game your way. Have fun with it however makes you happy, (you not necessarily pertaining to the original poster). I honestly hope everyone has fun with this game.

Last edited by The Spyder; 12/10/23 02:48 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by The Spyder
late game seem to be designed around the level cap being achieved (...) Either way, perhaps the solution is an additional skill level?

Disagreed. There aren't a huge gap between lv 11 and 12. 4 to 5 has a much bigger gap as well 10 to 11.

About aditional level, Larian would have to add all tier 7 arcane and divine spells as well some class features and re do some encounters.

Not mentioning, 5e suffers from the same problem which Obivion suffers ie - hp grows up much more than damage. At high levels, things become too bloated.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Originally Posted by The Spyder
late game seem to be designed around the level cap being achieved (...) Either way, perhaps the solution is an additional skill level?

Disagreed. There aren't a huge gap between lv 11 and 12. 4 to 5 has a much bigger gap as well 10 to 11.

Fair enough. How about I say "I struggle". I admit I am very far from the best player. And need the extra help.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
  • Costs and risks for using the tadpole powers - Tadpole powers are just free power ups, without any noticeable negative side.
  • Less XP in late game - You kill a random lv 1 vampire spawn who poses no threat? 400 xp, kill a bat with 1 hp? 210 xp. As an result, you quickly reach the lv cap.
  • More options to get rid of the parasyte. For eg, trying to bargain with Cazador to become a vampire. Or to the mage on the Sorcerous Sundries leader to create a artificial construct body and transport your soul there. Or a deal with the Devil. You can make a deal to Raphael for a item but not to get free from the tadpole.
  • Spells like summon elemental should have 10 turn duration and require concentration and if concentration break, become hostile towards the caster as P&P or like in BG2(2e D&D) have a risk of turning against the caster
  • Slayer form must be buffed and have stronger drawback. In BG2, it was ridiculous stronger but had a reputation cost and you could't spend much time in the form or die.
  • An easier way to install mods mainly in Linux(proton) and MAC OSX. I can't mod the game in my Debian.
  • Early Access character creation screen.
  • More ways to kill Astarion
  • Option to create a char with 18 int/cha/wis/str/con at the cost of having 6 in a secondary attribute
  • A option to play with higher lethality, like maximizing the damage output from players and enemies, for me who played too much bg2, the monsters have too much hp.
  • Allow all necromancer minion to be controlled and took all actions as one. They take too much time to act individually and with Dense Macabre + Animate dead, you can have easily 5 ghouls + 3 flying ghouls.
  • Allow the recast after rest without needing to search another corpse of animate dead

These are solid optional choices. I would also like to see a return to allowing the pick of your Deity for Paladins as well as the ability to choose to roll for stats instead of the point system. Plus of course move from D4 to proper D20 for initiative.

Last edited by Zentu; 13/10/23 03:30 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yep. Having a deity as a paladin would be great. as for d4 instead of d20 for initiative, I think that d4 has is merits, like make similar unities more likely to group together and hence share the swarm ai and speed up combat a bit.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Yep. Having a deity as a paladin would be great. as for d4 instead of d20 for initiative, I think that d4 has is merits, like make similar unities more likely to group together and hence share the swarm ai and speed up combat a bit.

Might be nice if you got an option for this.

addict
OP Offline
addict
I think that would be great if every class could pick a deity like in pathfinder games.

Other thing that I would prefer is if you could get rid of the parasite in mid game. Tried everything, including killing a certain mindflayer but I could only got rid of it on end game...

Link Copied to Clipboard