Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DYNIA #913266 12/10/23 01:42 PM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by DYNIA
Originally Posted by GiantOctopodes
If someone is using Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter, they need to be able to calculate when to use it. It’s really not hard to do so on the fly though, just ask yourself: "What percentage of my damage is (GWM / Sharpshooter)? "

If it’s half your damage, you can halve your hits before it’s disadvantageous. Note this is always in comparison to your rate with it off. If off you’d hit 60% of the time and on you’d hit 35%, It’s still worth using, lower and it’s not, you’d be nerfing your own damage by leaving it on.

If it’s 1/3 of your damage, you can drop your hit percentage by 1/3. Going from 90 to 65 is fine, lower and leaving it on is worse.

If it’s 1/4 of your damage, you’ll basically only use it when you’re dropping by 1/4 of your hit chance or less, which means either enemies with low ACs where your accuracy was overkill beforehand, or against enemies where you have advantage.

https://anydice.com/program/324ec

The link above is dice probabilities, with advantage, normally, and with disadvantage. Since you always hit if you get "at least" the target AC, the "At least" tab will always be directly reflective of the probabilities you'll see in game. Thankfully you don't need to manually calculate them, if you have a +10 and the AC is 15, and you have advantage, it'll just show 96%, or if you have disadvantage, 64% (or if neither 80%). But it gives you an idea to the kind of space where Sharpshooter and GWM will still be worth using even if your initial damage is 30 or more. If you're going from a 2 to a 7 with advantage (99.75 to 91), you could have 80 base damage, and GWM / Sharpshooter will still be worth using.

So as long as you understand your odds, and understand when to use it, it can be a tremendous boon. Often it will increase your expected damage output by 50%+ in the early game, and continuing to pay dividends throughout the game. If someone hasn't already, they should try pairing someone with GWM and / or someone with Sharpshooter with a Druid who makes effective use of their spider form and web, it makes the early game an absolute slaughter.

Later on, you can get reliable sources of advantage with items, the most famous being the Risky Ring, but multiple options are available. You also gain access to many types of paralysis or sleep effects, at which point your hit percentage is always 100% and more damage is always better. Note that this 100% hit auto crit mechanic even applies to ranged weapons within 1.5m, and they both auto hit and auto crit without needing Crossbow Expert to negate the normal disadvantage they would have for their target being prone if they were conscious.

Finally, it should be noted that the ancillary benefits will apply regardless of your use of the passive. +2 to hit when shooting at enemies with high ground over you and a bonus action attack on a crit or kill remain useful, potent bonuses at all stages of the game, even if you never have the passive on. But, if you use advantage and CC well, and can handle basic math calculations, you'll certainly have it on more often than not, and as a result you'll do some very silly amounts of damage.

you never get 95% accuary with snarp shooter and 95% its only possible for reckless attack in one turn, so yeah great feat if you want to deal 0 dmg every turn

i dont accept 90% accuary cause its too low and 25% crit is bonus damage from time to time, but you lost crit and any dmg if you miss, this game sucks cause they should be possible to have 100% acc, even 95% piss me off cause it can miss too and miss pretty oftten

with 65% you will miss pretty all the time, fighter have 60% accuary at level 1-4 something like this and its always miss, same with monk 60% acc is basilcy miss all the time

at early levels you have to abuse magic missles and bless to do any damage
This guy is always wrong as ever, I get 95-98% chance with Sharpshooter all the time . Look at my gut chance in the video I posted , see how much damage i am doing, I have Sharpshooter all the time . 98% hit chance .

This guy is a troll

D
Banned
Banned
D
Originally Posted by victorvnv
If someone is using Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter, they need to be able to calculate when to use it. It’s really not hard to do so on the fly though, just ask yourself: "What percentage of my damage is (GWM / Sharpshooter)? "

If it’s half your damage, you can halve your hits before it’s disadvantageous. Note this is always in comparison to your rate with it off. If off you’d hit 60% of the time and on you’d hit 35%, It’s still worth using, lower and it’s not, you’d be nerfing your own damage by leaving it on.

If it’s 1/3 of your damage, you can drop your hit percentage by 1/3. Going from 90 to 65 is fine, lower and leaving it on is worse.

If it’s 1/4 of your damage, you’ll basically only use it when you’re dropping by 1/4 of your hit chance or less, which means either enemies with low ACs where your accuracy was overkill beforehand, or against enemies where you have advantage.

The link above is dice probabilities, with advantage, normally, and with disadvantage. Since you always hit if you get "at least" the target AC, the "At least" tab will always be directly reflective of the probabilities you'll see in game. Thankfully you don't need to manually calculate them, if you have a +10 and the AC is 15, and you have advantage, it'll just show 96%, or if you have disadvantage, 64% (or if neither 80%). But it gives you an idea to the kind of space where Sharpshooter and GWM will still be worth using even if your initial damage is 30 or more. If you're going from a 2 to a 7 with advantage (99.75 to 91), you could have 80 base damage, and GWM / Sharpshooter will still be worth using.

So as long as you understand your odds, and understand when to use it, it can be a tremendous boon. Often it will increase your expected damage output by 50%+ in the early game, and continuing to pay dividends throughout the game. If someone hasn't already, they should try pairing someone with GWM and / or someone with Sharpshooter with a Druid who makes effective use of their spider form and web, it makes the early game an absolute slaughter.

Later on, you can get reliable sources of advantage with items, the most famous being the Risky Ring, but multiple options are available. You also gain access to many types of paralysis or sleep effects, at which point your hit percentage is always 100% and more damage is always better. Note that this 100% hit auto crit mechanic even applies to ranged weapons within 1.5m, and they both auto hit and auto crit without needing Crossbow Expert to negate the normal disadvantage they would have for their target being prone if they were conscious.

Finally, it should be noted that the ancillary benefits will apply regardless of your use of the passive. +2 to hit when shooting at enemies with high ground over you and a bonus action attack on a crit or kill remain useful, potent bonuses at all stages of the game, even if you never have the passive on. But, if you use advantage and CC well, and can handle basic math calculations, you'll certainly have it on more often than not, and as a result you'll do some very silly amounts of damage.

you never get 95% accuary with snarp shooter and 95% its only possible for reckless attack in one turn, so yeah great feat if you want to deal 0 dmg every turn

i dont accept 90% accuary cause its too low and 25% crit is bonus damage from time to time, but you lost crit and any dmg if you miss, this game sucks cause they should be possible to have 100% acc, even 95% piss me off cause it can miss too and miss pretty oftten

with 65% you will miss pretty all the time, fighter have 60% accuary at level 1-4 something like this and its always miss, same with monk 60% acc is basilcy miss all the time

This guy is always wrong as ever, I get 95-98% chance with Sharpshooter all the time . Look at my gut chance in the video I posted , see how much damage i am doing, I have Sharpshooter all the time . 98% hit chance .

This guy is a troll

if you have modded game then sure, arches have even less accuary than meles in this game, i used ranger once and to have 95% acc i had to have bless, hunter mark and hunter helm, so no, you are troll

DYNIA #913413 12/10/23 03:41 PM
apprentice
apprentice
[quote=Falmari][quote=DYNIA]

dual wielder with level 1 fighter or any class that give dual wield mastery make like 100% more damage for str builds cause you dont have use light weapons

daggers deals like 6-12 damage for each hand, legendary spear deal like 17-35 dmg in main hand and 15-30 in off hand, so tell me how its not auto pick ?

even dex weapon like rapier + scream rapier deal more dmg than daggers

even dual wield long swords deal 10-25 dmg its 100% more than light weapons

level 5 fighter or barb for bonus attack and level 3 thief for bonus action its give 4 attacks total without haste

and i can tell you barb dual wielder with thief 3 do more dmg than your ranger and bear barb have 50% less damage from any source, so no, your ranger dual wielder its not better than this
What the hell are talking about what's it matter that you can multi class a barbarian and a thief and get an extra attack which is better than a single class Ranger. I not claiming my Ranger is a great duel wielder so why don't you pull your trousers up and stop waving your cock about.

Daggers are not the only light weapons Scimitars and Short Swords like the 3 I mentioned are D6 their base damage is same as a spear D6 when held in one hand. As for the legendary spear I just checked the one handed damage range in game I will take Nyrulna the legendary trident as its range is higher due to the + 1D6 Thunder damage.

Long Swords D8 do not do 100% more damage than light weapons (Scimitars and Short Swords) D6 when dual wielding. Not that that matters, because there are no legendary longswords in the game. Light or not your legendary will be a D6, which is better is not obvious so no it is not auto pick even for a strength based duel wielder which my Ranger is. But for a dex duel wielder it is a wasted feat due to the lack of finesse D8 weapons leveling up as well as no legendary D8 that can be used in a duel wield build either.

DYNIA #913447 12/10/23 03:59 PM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by victorvnv

This guy is a troll

if you have modded game then sure, arches have even less accuary than meles in this game, i used ranger once and to have 95% acc i had to have bless, hunter mark and hunter helm, so no, you are troll
Except that I use exactly zero mods, not in BG3 not in any game, I hate mods in general . I am just way better in this game than you are and you are just ignorant and illiterate about how game mechanics works here

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Just to add to that, my thief rogue / gloomstalker / fighter with sharpshooter is an absolute beast and has way over 70% chance to hit on all enemies, most of the time it's 80-90%. With sharpshooter on all the time.

Daisuke #913472 12/10/23 04:52 PM
D
Banned
Banned
D
Originally Posted by Daisuke
Just to add to that, my thief rogue / gloomstalker / fighter with sharpshooter is an absolute beast and has way over 70% chance to hit on all enemies, most of the time it's 80-90%. With sharpshooter on all the time.

lol 80% is trash accuary and you will deal less damage overall with 80% accuary and sharpshooter than 95% accuary and without it and you calling me troll while you don't have 95% accuary like I said

G
OP Offline
G
You definitely can, Short Swords and Scimitars are both light, anyone can verify that with a level 1 character with 30 seconds of effort. Just saying.

D
Banned
Banned
D
You definitely can, Short Swords and Scimitars are both light, anyone can verify that with a level 1 character with 30 seconds of effort. Just saying.

meh it was rapier not scimitar

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sword+of+Screams

both rapiers deals much more dmg then short swords

DYNIA #913488 12/10/23 05:01 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D

lol 80% is trash accuary and you will deal less damage overall with 80% accuary and sharpshooter than 95% accuary and without it and you calling me troll while you don't have 95% accuary like I said

First, find a post where I called you troll, I dare you. I totally think you are one but I never said it.

Second, please, try to make an effort. If you think that everyone is dumb, most of the time it's you who are dumb.

Last edited by Daisuke; 12/10/23 05:09 PM.
DYNIA #913547 12/10/23 05:58 PM
apprentice
apprentice

What was a rapier? You clearly stated that you cant duel wield Short Swords and Scimitars without the Duel Wielder feat.

You haven't a clue you obviously believed that you can only duel wield daggers without the feat, which is why you were making all your damage comparisons against daggers.

What does it matter that rapiers are D8 when there are no rapiers.

By the time you reach Last Light inn you have Sword of Screams and another +1 rapier. You will have to wait to Act 3 to get Harmonic Dueller +1 but the special is no good it uses charisma there will also be a +2 on a merchant as well in Act 3.
But at Last light you will have 2 pucker short swords both very rare +2s Knife of the Undermountain King and Sword of Life Stealing.

My point is that D8 weapon itemisation is poor and it is not worth going for Duel Wielder feat when D6 are what you are going to get. Even at end game the non light legendaries available to duel wield with are also D6 and to use them requires strength along with the feat. Or just forget the feat and strength and use light weapons there is a short sword legendary.
https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Weapons list all the weapons and some that should be in the game but are not.

Last edited by Falmari; 12/10/23 06:08 PM.
Daisuke #913561 12/10/23 06:11 PM
D
Banned
Banned
D

its not 95%... and 70% vs bosses is shity accuary

you do more dps with 95 acc without sharpshooter than with 70% acc with it

simple math miss = 0 dmg 0 crit
hiting mean dmg even is less

Daisuke #913565 12/10/23 06:13 PM
D
Banned
Banned
D

First, find a post where I called you troll, I dare you. I totally think you are one but I never said it.

Second, please, try to make an effort. If you think that everyone is dumb, most of the time it's you who are dumb.

learn to count probality, go back to elemental school, get this ability then talk to me again, i never called you dumb fucking troll, now go hide in your cave

Falmari #913570 12/10/23 06:17 PM
D
Banned
Banned
D
Originally Posted by Falmari

What was a rapier? You clearly stated that you cant duel wield Short Swords and Scimitars without the Duel Wielder feat.

You haven't a clue you obviously believed that you can only duel wield daggers without the feat, which is why you were making all your damage comparisons against daggers.

What does it matter that rapiers are D8 when there are no rapiers.

By the time you reach Last Light inn you have Sword of Screams and another +1 rapier. You will have to wait to Act 3 to get Harmonic Dueller +1 but the special is no good it uses charisma there will also be a +2 on a merchant as well in Act 3.
But at Last light you will have 2 pucker short swords both very rare +2s Knife of the Undermountain King and Sword of Life Stealing.

My point is that D8 weapon itemisation is poor and it is not worth going for Duel Wielder feat when D6 are what you are going to get. Even at end game the non light legendaries available to duel wield with are also D6 and to use them requires strength along with the feat. Or just forget the feat and strength and use light weapons there is a short sword legendary.
https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Weapons list all the weapons and some that should be in the game but are not.

rapiers are still much better than shortswords that make dual wielder s tier feat

and str weapons are much better any way, you can make 16 str and 14 dex for ac in medium armor and get much better dps than shity light weapons xD or just use potion for 21 str its common potion

btw sword of screams are act 1 drop

Last edited by DYNIA; 12/10/23 06:22 PM.
DYNIA #913600 12/10/23 06:34 PM
apprentice
apprentice
rapiers are still much better than shortswords that make dual wielder s tier feat

and str weapons are much better any way, you can make 16 str and 14 dex for ac in medium armor and get much better dps than shity light weapons xD or just use potion for 21 str its common potion

Non existent rapiers are not better than short swords. Short sword is better than an empty weapon slot were the rapier would have gone if only Larian had created one.

Knife of the Undermountain King is available in act 1 Sword of Life Stealing begining of act 2. Good luck with useing sword of screams all the way into act 3.

DYNIA #913613 12/10/23 06:42 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D

learn to count probality, go back to elemental school, get this ability then talk to me again, i never called you dumb fucking troll, now go hide in your cave

Dude, in EVERY posts you make, you are full on aggro on everyone, your posts are all against what everyone say. Not that you are forced to be wrong but EVERY god damn time, the ones arguing against you are doing the maths proving you are wrong and you end up insulting everyone, that you are the only one with good maths... Dude, please, just try to cool your head off and accept that maybe, just maybe, you are the one in the wrong and not the whole forum. Just try that please.

Falmari #913823 12/10/23 08:17 PM
D
Banned
Banned
D
Originally Posted by Falmari

Non existent rapiers are not better than short swords. Short sword is better than an empty weapon slot were the rapier would have gone if only Larian had created one.

Knife of the Undermountain King is available in act 1 Sword of Life Stealing begining of act 2. Good luck with useing sword of screams all the way into act 3.

Non existent rapiers ? wtf you talking about lol

you can get sword of scream and rapier +1 in act 1 and it outclass any crap light weapon

still str weapons with dual wielder is ridiculas with dmg and only weapon match thier power is sword of scream with +1 rapier offhand

KNIFE OF THE UNDERMOUNTAIN KING dmg 1-6+2 hahahahahah nice dmg
sword of life steal do bonus damage on crit, gl with that count how many crit you deal

meanwhile str weapon in act 2 exist
https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Myrkulite+Scourge

Last edited by DYNIA; 12/10/23 08:26 PM.
D
Banned
Banned
D
^
1st of all its your imagination cause you are left wing snowflake
2nd of all Im right you all wrong
3rd of all I don't give a fuck about political correctness

Last edited by DYNIA; 12/10/23 08:21 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Alright let's break it up. We don't need to derail a thread with personal attacks. Disagreement is fine. Vehement disagreement is fine. But let's try to maintain a civil environment without attacks.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
G
OP Offline
G
Non existent rapiers ? wtf you talking about lol

you can get sword of scream and rapier +1 in act 1 and it outclass any crap light weapon

still str weapons with dual wielder is ridiculas with dmg and only weapon match thier power is sword of scream with +1 rapier offhand

KNIFE OF THE UNDERMOUNTAIN KING dmg 1-6+2 hahahahahah nice dmg
sword of life steal do bonus damage on crit, gl with that count how many crit you deal

meanwhile str weapon in act 2 exist
https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Myrkulite+Scourge

To be clear, you are claiming that when comparing this:
a +1 Rapier (1d8 + 1 average damage 5.5)
To this:
Knife of the Undermountain King (1d6 + 2, reroll all damage rolls of 2 or less with all weapons, average damage 6.17, makes all weapons crit on 19-20 instead of 20 base thus adding +1 crit range to all weapons, automatic advantage against all heavily or lightly obscured targets)
Not only is the +1 Rapier the better choice, but that it's *so much better* that it is worth using a feat to be able to use that +1 rapier instead?

And while the 2-9, average damage 5.5 Rapier is "ridiculas with dmg", the 3-8, average damage 6.17 Knife of the Undermountain King is laughable in how terrible its damage is?

And setting aside the damage amounts, you think that an effect that lets you reroll damage is worth a feat in and of itself, and is SS tier (savage attacker), but a weapon which gives you damage rerolls (and advantage and improved crit range and so forth) is a joke of a weapon, not worth using?

I just want to be clear on your position on this. I think it's obvious I would strongly disagree, and I think the reasons why are similarly obvious.

apprentice
apprentice
@GiantOctopodes I am on my third playthrough just about to finish act 2. I have this Short sword as well got early in act 2. Shadow Blade 2D8 + 2 Psychic damage Extra damage 1D4 Psychic damage https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Shadow_Blade_(Weapon).

There certainly are a lot of short swords in the game. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard