Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Since Larian has acknowledged the poor quality of the endings and is planning to improve them in a future patch, I wanted to address a very specific ending scenario that has completely failed to get the proper attention it needs.

For some context, DUrge's madness ending involves defeating Orin and agreeing to become Bhaal's prophet, then betraying Bhaal by destroying the Elder Brain (currently bugged unless you have Gale blow up). From there, the ending proceeds normally, up to the scene of the party walking away on the pier. At this point, Bhaal will punish you by attempting to drive you insane. You more or less have two options to respond to this: you can commit suicide before he can punish you or you can try to resist him before ultimately succumbing.

I actually like the suicide ending, since it's pretty cathartic going out with a final fuck you, but I can't overlook my biggest problem with it; it completely fails to address the impact Ascended Astarion should have on this ending. By this point in the story, the tadpole is dead, and the DUrge is a full fledged vampire spawn, capable of being compelling by Astarion with a simple command. It makes zero sense that he would stand idly by while you slowly pull out a dagger and begin to stab yourself in front of him. All he would have to say is "stop", and that would be that.

Maybe he doesn't realize what's going on and it dooms you to madness. Maybe he does catch on and starts trying to use his power to fight the urge with you. Either way, there's still an open question as to who's hold over DUrge is stronger. There's no way to have DUrge walk off into the city under Bhaal's control without forcing Astarion and Bhaal into some kind of fight for dominance.

At this point, I don't care whether it gets resolved with a good or bad outcome, but I do expect Larian to resolve it. These are more or less the options they have:

• Bhaal wins and Astarion curses him while vowing to take back his treasure.
  • Astarion wins, but DUrge becomes feral.
  • Astarion wins, but Bhaal kills DUrge like he did in the temple.
  • Astarion wins, but Bhaal kills DUrge, prompting Withers to intervene.
  • Astarion wins and is able to protect DUrge from Bhaal, but the two have made a powerful enemy

Otherwise, Larian basically needs to redo this ending in a way that prevents Astarion from being able to interfere.

Last edited by Yharmeru; 12/10/23 01:17 AM.
This. Is. Awesome.

I have a whole thread where I talk about how disappointing the evil Durge ending is and I romanced an Ascended Astarion as well. I wondered why he didn't intervene in that moment too and the fact that no one really acknowledges what's happening sucks.

But I love your suggestion. A saving grace for the evil couple. I hope Larian sees this.

#JusticeForAstarion
stranger
stranger
Agree!

I too had a very dark DUrge, who went full dark side with AscAstarion as his lover/partner/master. Found it rather dissappointing how the ending played out. Opted for a reload and decided to go for ruling the brain instead. While a lot darker, it did feel more satisfying. ^^

Would wish for the proposed options from OP.

addict
addict
I always thought the same.

Did one run where Durge agreed to become Astarion's spawn precisely because they were hoping that Astarion's control could overrule Bhaal's.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I’m not even sure if a feral vampire spawn would even be useful to him. They can’t go out in the sun, they can’t enter doors without asking, and they can’t cross open water, and they can’t make more Bhaalspawn. DUrge should probably be melting while they’re walking off into the city alone.

Last edited by Yharmeru; 14/10/23 10:51 PM.
stranger
stranger
This would be amazing!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Yharmeru
I’m not even sure if a feral vampire spawn would even be useful to him. They can’t go out in the sun, they can’t enter doors without asking, and they can’t cross open water, and they can’t make more Bhaalspawn. DUrge should probably be melting while they’re walking off into the city alone.

Now that would be an ending. If the sun doesn't kill you, Wyll or Astarion himself hunts you down and ends you a couple days later.

Link Copied to Clipboard