Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by booboo
Being able to rest anywhere - as often as you want - sucks tension out of the game. Risk free resting everywhere is also something that earlier BG games didn't have, and means that you needed to..you know...plan things. And not just spam all your most potent abilities. Not having it, even on Tactician, is not really defensible. A well designed game and encounter sequence pushes you hard enough so that you can *just* make it, if you manage your resources - I never felt threatened in BG3. And adding things like those angelic potions - that mean even when you can't rest...you *can* actually rest - is another poor design choice.

One thing they could do is to make those "red map zones" where you can't fast travel or go to camp more common, at least on Tactician. It won't fix short rests or potions, but it would help bring some tension back. On Tactician, that should probably be the default state in "hostile areas" like the Goblin Camp. So without doing a full retreat from the area, you'd only have your short rests. And they could just tie it to the difficulty, because then it wouldn't necessarily make things worse for those who just want an easier experience.

Another thing that could be done is to make a lot of spells / elixirs last "until the next long or short rest", so short resting would require you to reapply your buffs. And make Angelic Potions "corrupted" or "spoiled" on Tactician.

Of course, I do think that fixing a lot of the broken, overpowered and underpowered (mostly just human, admittedly) options in the game would also make it easier to improve the balance.

Originally Posted by ladydub
In BG, IWD etc., you could rest anywhere as well, but you had a chance to be ambushed... just reload and rest again - done. Not a good system.

In NWN you can just sit down and rest in a corridor for 5 sec and you're good to go blasting meteor showers and horrid wiltings on them bandits in the next room.

It's only ToEE that punished resting in a wrong place really hard - you still could do it, but you would be ambushed 100%, unlike BG, where it was a coin flip. You absolutely had to get out of that maze of a temple, search for shortcuts and go rest in an inn. Gotta admit, the tension because of this was high. And it did not feel like a chore - you had to be careful, plan your resources and think about every spell slot - "is it worth to use now, or we can go without and save it for something more dangerous".

At the same time, Temple of Elemental Evil is a pinnacle of DnD dungeon crawling, so can't really compare BG3 to it.

Imagine now in BG3 there are no portals to move around and no fast travel and no possibility to just port to camp when you need to rest - you have to run to a hub for resting. Or use Larians pyramid to port back to a safe spot? Will the game be better? Don't think so.

It's our choice as a player to rest whenever we want - do it after every encounter or limit yourself to rest in a way that makes sense from RP perspective.

Resting has always been a very weird thing in various games using or inspired by D&D and rarely function all that well, be it in the player's or enemy's favor. BG1 is terrible with resting, while BG2 feels like it is expecting you to rest a lot.

I legit think systems like those in the Dragon Age series are fairly reasonable though. In DA: Origins and DA2, you regenerate everything (health, stamina, mana, cooldowns etc) automatically after combat, save your "wounds" and consumables, but in return the game also builds encounters on the assumption that you're always at full strength.

The other side of that is DA: Inquisition, which doesn't let you heal without consumables at all (save some very rare abilities), limits how many healing consumables you can have, but you get everything back while camping. However, just about every enemy respawns and you can only rest in specific locations (camps, fast travel points) and you'll just have to go through the same enemies to get to where you were. So while resting is "free" and super convenient, it does reset your progression. The only way to rest and progress is to find camps and fast travel points. You can also find "supply caches" that'll let you use your potions with a free refill, but these are single use.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Its interesting how different people experienced BG1/2 resting and traveling...I found that I weighed up every rest I took outdoors - I recall resting in Nashkel mines, there was a safe room, but other places, you would be swarmed. And rightly so. I didn't simply reload though (unless I died) - I would fight and then rest if I was attacked. It may not be a good system, but certainly added tension. Also, Bg1/2 are *ancient* games - we should be able to do a lot better in creating such tension now.
I just feel what BG3 offers on this front is simply poor. Resting anywhere (almost) + insta travel + insta port loot to camp - these are all things I hate. They are convenient, sure, but not explained in game (at least in DOS1, you had the pyramids). How can I port from the depths of the underdark - not even near a "portal" - to my camp (or anywhere on the map) and then rest? Almost like the daft NWN1 systems where you 'knelt' down to rest (*literally outside the next encounter*) It simply doesn't work for immersion - this was commented on a lot in EA, there was a megathread too...but I suppose for those who prefer convenience over immersion, it doesn't matter. Sadly that doesn't work for me - I want an experience similar to table top in terms if tension. I remember epic D&D sessions where we really had to husband resources and you weren't sure if you'd make it. BG3 is terrible at creating that kind of tension. l I was so happy when I saw there were 'red zones' where you couldn't rest (cool I thought, they listened!)...and then, lo, there was a potion that fakes rest, or as in House of Hope, a pool that acts like rest etc.

I think DA:I was quite good, except for respawning *everything* ....

S
S
Bg3 hasn't much of resting system at all. You don't need to rest very often and it doesn't cost you much if you do. So it's mostly about the camp interactions, but sadly from act 3 on my companions didn't have anything to say anymore and everyone was just standing in their corner.

I liked the well thought through resting mechanics of WotR. Different tasks, risks, limited resting in unsafe areas, ... But even if the purpose of resting is mainly to unfold the social dynamics in the group, I'd like to see more of that especially late game.

Last edited by Staunton; 19/10/23 11:02 AM.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yep, I forgot about WotR - I thought that worked quite well...and there you had to contend with corruption, which was a bit painful, but certainly encouraged you not to just rest willy nilly.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm a fan of how campaigns like Temple of Elemental Evil and NWN Swordflight have handled rest, which is that you aren't going to safely do it in hostile zones. BG1/2 Swordcoast Strategems does the same. D&D without rest restrictions is just jumping from encounter to encounter, going Nova, and never feeling any pressure at all.

BG3 doesn't have many dungeons per se, but there are hostile areas that should be rest restricted - they exist already. I would just increase the number of them with higher difficulty.

Last edited by magwai9; 19/10/23 02:16 PM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by booboo
How can I port from the depths of the underdark - not even near a "portal" - to my camp (or anywhere on the map) and then rest? Almost like the daft NWN1 systems where you 'knelt' down to rest (*literally outside the next encounter*) It simply doesn't work for immersion - this was commented on a lot in EA, there was a megathread too...but I suppose for those who prefer convenience over immersion, it doesn't matter. Sadly that doesn't work for me - I want an experience similar to table top in terms if tension.
The map of the camp changes based on where you are. So I'd assume that you don't port from the depths of the Underdark to your camp, but instead, you camp in the depths of the Underdark. Probably not right where you're at (most of the time), but a "safe location" you found nearby, where Withers, the hirelings, and some other camp followers you have picked up along the way have secured the area. And realistically, such places would exist most everywhere, otherwise, travel and trade would be impossible.

Of course, that doesn't fit all situations. It makes sense if you are wandering around the Underdark, thumping some random critters and such, but not if you are busy wiping out the Duergar, goblins, or Gith. Those are collectives of intelligent critters, who would A) notice that some of their fellows aren't around anymore in that 8h+ and naturally blame the outsiders, B) hunt for you to get payback and/or C) Prep stronger defenses for when you came back. But alas, the limits of computer games.

Last edited by Talismina; 19/10/23 05:23 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Zentu
Originally Posted by Talismina
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Well, don't do that."

When it comes to a game, that's good advice.

This is a great explanation of the problem. This is a role playing game, are players so weak minded in a solo RPG that they cannot play beyond the game mechanics and need Larian to hold their hand with in game limitations so they do not break their own RPG?

I don't think it's a case of weak will and over optimization that is the issue here. A lot of the changes nerf playstyles that aren't high damage into the ground. The game isn't particularly difficult, but if you run a party focused on control spells or defensive tactics it jacks the difficulty WAY up. It also leads to dissatisfaction when your spells don't work as intended/advertised. I'm playing coop with my fiance on PS5 and we actually have had a lot of difficulty because the builds we chose were more utility/control focused, and many features are unnecessarily nerfed compared to tabletop.

Meanwhile when I play on PC solo I have no issues because I have learned to avoid a lot of subclasses and features which are pretty much dead weight.

One of 5E's big triumphs compared to previous editions was that it allowed pretty much any party composition to function without overshadowing other party members or causing difficulty to skyrocket or plummet. BG3 while mostly an easy game is actually quite hard if you run a pick up game with newer players who pick suboptimally.

The power gap is so high that you can have your fun taken away from playing suboptimally just as much as playing too optimally. And it's a serious problem. Control spells, hazard spells, and many combat utility spells are borderline useless. It's either damage spells or buffs that increase damage of your martial characters. Likewise healing outside of stacked buffs like that blade ward on heal effect is even weaker than tabletop, because enemy damage is so high.

A good example of this is the Auntie Ethel fight. Her illusion phase doesn't really have an answer besides "more damage". If you go in blind with a control or defense focused build you get annihilated. If you go in with high ranged damage and blasting spells(especially magic missile) it's trivial. Too many fights are especially punishing to controller or defensive builds.

I usually play what I want and don't optimize. But in multiplayer I feel like I *have* to optimize or at least adjust my power level to match my other players, or we won't have fun. That hasn't been the case in tabletop DnD since 3.5e.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard