Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I don't mean that as an insult, not really. Bg3 is is unfinished in the way that Cyberpunk 2077 was unfinished. It still has a great bone structure, a brilliant premise, mostly solid mechanics, amazing writing, and VA - the potential is still there but the quality drop off in Act 3 is impossible to ignore. The game *feels* undercooked.

The good news is that Larian is unlikely to leave it that way, they have the same code of ethics as CDPR and hopefully we will see a completed game in a year or two.

Cyberpunk 2077 as of the recent 2.0 patch and DLC is a masterpiece. This is the game I was hoping to get in 2020 - but still played 200 hours of because it had enough good and interesting things that it was compelling, despite flaws. I am now at 400 hours.

I have to say that narratively CP 2077 is the overall better game. I honestly hope that the DLC puts it in a place where it can be considered for GOTY. It should at least get a few categories.

If you haven't played CP 2077 I would encourage people to check it out. Just an incredible work.

Blackheifer
journeyman
journeyman
I JUST bought Cyberpunk 2077 a moment ago and just went here while I was waiting for it to download. I needed something else than Bg3 to play, as I totally agree with you. Bg3 will probably be a finished product in about 1-2 years. I am just not one of those with a lot of time to play games on a weekly basis, so yeah, I would rather spend my precious time on games that are actually finished, instead of starting a second playthrough in a game that is still pretty far from where I want it to be. It seems to be the state of the gaming industry these days.

Now I hope that Cyberpunk 2077 is exactly what you say it is smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Lyzrl
I JUST bought Cyberpunk 2077 a moment ago and just went here while I was waiting for it to download. I needed something else than Bg3 to play, as I totally agree with you. Bg3 will probably be a finished product in about 1-2 years. I am just not one of those with a lot of time to play games on a weekly basis, so yeah, I would rather spend my precious time on games that are actually finished, instead of starting a second playthrough in a game that is still pretty far from where I want it to be. It seems to be the state of the gaming industry these days.

Now I hope that Cyberpunk 2077 is exactly what you say it is smile

That's awesome choomba, you won't be disappointed. I am in my second playthrough and just blown away by how much more fun the game is overall.

Once you have about 10-20 hours let me know what you think.

Blackheifer
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I don't mean that as an insult, not really. Bg3 is is unfinished in the way that Cyberpunk 2077 was unfinished. It still has a great bone structure, a brilliant premise, mostly solid mechanics, amazing writing, and VA - the potential is still there but the quality drop off in Act 3 is impossible to ignore. The game *feels* undercooked.

The good news is that Larian is unlikely to leave it that way, they have the same code of ethics as CDPR and hopefully we will see a completed game in a year or two.

Cyberpunk 2077 as of the recent 2.0 patch and DLC is a masterpiece. This is the game I was hoping to get in 2020 - but still played 200 hours of because it had enough good and interesting things that it was compelling, despite flaws. I am now at 400 hours.

I have to say that narratively CP 2077 is the overall better game. I honestly hope that the DLC puts it in a place where it can be considered for GOTY. It should at least get a few categories.

If you haven't played CP 2077 I would encourage people to check it out. Just an incredible work.
I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077 since launch, personally I didn't come across any bugs and glitches, granted it was the Stadia version, which I can't play anymore, I'll have to download the game on a different system, however you guys should check out the table top game Cyberpunk 2020 aka the game Cyberpunk 2077 is based off of, which has something cool called Exotics which 2077 barely has,

veteran
veteran
For my own playthrough of BG3 I had a few bugs but no blockers. As far as bugs go, I was pretty happy with the state BG3 was in at launch. I have had many more bugs with some other games I have played near launch. I haven’t played Cyberpunk 2077, though, because I don’t like 1st person, so I can’t compare with that game specifically.

I am happy for any QoL things they want to add postlaunch, and I would like them to fix bugs for Halsin (for example his lack of barks) and expand/add more options for him as a companion and romance, but otherwise I am happy with BG3! It is the best game I have played in a long time! I am looking forward to dlc or whatever Larian’s next project will be!

C
C

as I get older, I have to admit that every time a game with great potential is released, I feel like a guinea pig. In the last few years, the gaming industry seems to be on a trend to release only unfinished/unpolished games, at the buyer's cost - us paying them and basically "testing" the game for them while waiting 1-3 years for patches which solves bugs and adds story completion that was planned years before the game release.

CdProjekt despite Larian, understands the depth and importance of a story, and I agree with you that the DLC is a masterpiece, mainly because it's a fresh breath, after playing Bg3 which whole story it's very linear and never puts the player into a dilemma / hard decision making like Cyberpunk does. I cannot wait for Witcher 4, but cannot think I'll not be a guinea pig and might just wait another year after release.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by crst

as I get older, I have to admit that every time a game with great potential is released, I feel like a guinea pig. In the last few years, the gaming industry seems to be on a trend to release only unfinished/unpolished games, at the buyer's cost - us paying them and basically "testing" the game for them while waiting 1-3 years for patches which solves bugs and adds story completion that was planned years before the game release.

CdProjekt despite Larian, understands the depth and importance of a story, and I agree with you that the DLC is a masterpiece, mainly because it's a fresh breath, after playing Bg3 which whole story it's very linear and never puts the player into a dilemma / hard decision making like Cyberpunk does. I cannot wait for Witcher 4, but cannot think I'll not be a guinea pig and might just wait another year after release.

100% choombah. I'm almost 50 and this pattern just keeps repeating. I feel "lucky" when the studio is willing to fix the problems instead of abandoning the game and moving on.

It's my hope that CDPR doesn't do this again with the next project, and I also understand they are going to continue to craft DLC for Cyberpunk 2077 or look into a possible multiplayer environment - but I feel that the work they did with this game won them back a lot of credibility.

Blackheifer
G
stranger
stranger
G
It feels more like a Skyrim(with significantly better writing), in that the world and lore are all feature complete but we're probably gonna need mods to balance out the game and fix some bugs.

That's not meant as an insult fwiw.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I haven’t played Cyberpunk 2077, though, because I don’t like 1st person, so I can’t compare with that game specifically.

That's too bad. The cinematic and narrative and visual experience of the Cyberpunk 2077 game world is a work of absolute Art. Cinematically alone it's the best thing I have seen this year and possibly last year - better than anything on TV. It's at times extreme, shocking and even grotesque, but it also has heart and a lot of powerful dramatic moments.

Also the combat is great fun, with a lot of variation.

AND at least CDPR has the proper respect for Sphynx cats! Looking at you Larian! Why did you guys even ADD fur to His Majesty anyway?! Whose idea was that? Bad! No donuts for a month!

Honestly, it may be the best narrative experience I have seen in a game since The Witcher 3.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
i think Fuckpunk has come a long way as a game but i will never play it because the ethics of CDPR include lies and cheating so it will be a cold day in hell.

as for act 3 being unfinished, yes clearly Larian ran out of time and investors panic when a deadline comes up so a choice was made to worry about fixing it later, this is a Larian game so no one that has played their other games is shocked by that... it's still well on the way to game of the year

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
old hand
old hand
When I played cyberpunk when it first came out it wasn't the story that was missing but game play, like cops and such were just not there. I also only ran into one bug where a side quest wanted me to deliver a car but you couldn't get into the garage. I'd probably compare cyber to probably starfield more so.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
When I played cyberpunk when it first came out it wasn't the story that was missing but game play, like cops and such were just not there. I also only ran into one bug where a side quest wanted me to deliver a car but you couldn't get into the garage. I'd probably compare cyber to probably starfield more so.

Yeah, they fixed that. After the 2.0 patch the Cops will go after your ass and they are bringing an ass-whuppin' with them. Maxtac will eventually show up and that is like fighting 4 mini-bosses while an army of cops tries to murder you.

Klepping cars for one of the fixers is now a side part of the game that unlocks new car types that you can buy, etc

Look honestly, there are so many changes it's unrecognizable. You should check it out yourself.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
Night City is amazing. The ambiance. The sound.

But when you look closer you realize it's just smoke screen.

The writing is decent though. Just wish there are more social skills than combat skill.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj

Yeah, they fixed that. After the 2.0 patch the Cops will go after your ass and they are bringing an ass-whuppin' with them. Maxtac will eventually show up and that is like fighting 4 mini-bosses while an army of cops tries to murder you.

Klepping cars for one of the fixers is now a side part of the game that unlocks new car types that you can buy, etc

Look honestly, there are so many changes it's unrecognizable. You should check it out yourself.

Yeah I planning on checking it out since they brought out that dlc, hoping its decent.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I played CP2077 on release, and the ONLY "issue" I had was V standing on top of the car for 1 second exactly 2 times.

Also, cops behavior was weird, but I focused on Story and side quests and wasn't doing any GTA-style shenanigans, so it did not impact me at all.

That is it. The game was perfect for me (on PC).

BG3 tho... I'm playing on PS5, and running into all kinds of issues and bugs that everybody on PC are facing + more PS5 specific ones. Yea I get that a cutscene glitch here and there is possible in a huge game like this, and PS5 memory or smth gets clogged so textures don't always load properly (re-launching the game fixes it) - that's hardware issue. But straight up broken quests is a BIG NO NO for me - it's well known for almost 2 months that Lyrthindor quest in Shar's gauntlet is simply broken and does not work on PS5 and nothing is done about it. Also camera is a mess.

Act 3 glitch galore I won't even talk about.

CP2077 on release was flawless in comparison to BG3.

I'm actually holding my second BG3 playthru bcos of that - in favor of updated CP2077.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ladydub
I played CP2077 on release, and the ONLY "issue" I had was V standing on top of the car for 1 second exactly 2 times.

Also, cops behavior was weird, but I focused on Story and side quests and wasn't doing any GTA-style shenanigans, so it did not impact me at all.

That is it. The game was perfect for me (on PC).

BG3 tho... I'm playing on PS5, and running into all kinds of issues and bugs that everybody on PC are facing + more PS5 specific ones. Yea I get that a cutscene glitch here and there is possible in a huge game like this, and PS5 memory or smth gets clogged so textures don't always load properly (re-launching the game fixes it) - that's hardware issue. But straight up broken quests is a BIG NO NO for me - it's well known for almost 2 months that Lyrthindor quest in Shar's gauntlet is simply broken and does not work on PS5 and nothing is done about it. Also camera is a mess.

Act 3 glitch galore I won't even talk about.

CP2077 on release was flawless in comparison to BG3.

I'm actually holding my second BG3 playthru bcos of that - in favor of updated CP2077.

Look, honestly I didn't have any major bugs with CP 2077 on release either but they did pull it from the PS store for that so I have to acknowledge that some platforms were undercooked or possibly it just should not have been released on last gen platforms at all.

The biggest changes after the 2.0 patch are Gameplay, narrative structure, consistency, combat, skills and perks, how armor and clothing works, vehicle combat, vehicles purchases, vehicle handling, healing, grenades, the entire crafting system and upgrade system, the police reactivity, and the AI.

So, nothing important /s

Also the DLC is top notch, from narrative, Idris Elba, more Keanu Reeves, music, intro/outro and choices.

The overall feeling of being in a dystopian nightmare future is ever present. The artistic representation of this world is steller.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
The overall feeling of being in a dystopian nightmare future is ever present. The artistic representation of this world is steller.

Exactly, I feel like CP2077 "problems" are extremely overblown, yeah it was a fail for PS4. No doubts about it - maybe I am biased bcos I only played it on PC. PC version was absolutely fine tho - for some reason nobody is talking about that, but everyone and their dog barks at how "unplayable" it was on consoles. That's bias too.

And now we have a definitive edition, so to say.

I definitely like BG3 more than CP2077 - I love dnd, I love the originals and I am more of a classic fantasy guy. But CP2077 might very well be a better "video game" overall, and is (and was, on release) leagues ahead from technical and stability PoV.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by ladydub

Exactly, I feel like CP2077 "problems" are extremely overblown, yeah it was a fail for PS4. No doubts about it - maybe I am biased bcos I only played it on PC. PC version was absolutely fine tho - for some reason nobody is talking about that, but everyone and their dog barks at how "unplayable" it was on consoles. That's bias too.

And now we have a definitive edition, so to say.

I definitely like BG3 more than CP2077 - I love dnd, I love the originals and I am more of a classic fantasy guy. But CP2077 might very well be a better "video game" overall, and is (and was, on release) leagues ahead from technical and stability PoV.
Yeah for all those talks about bugs and glitches,

I'm over here like "you're complaining about bugs?, have none of you played Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Fallout 4?,"

Unlike Bethesda, CDPR wasn't relying on their fans to fix their games, they realize there were bugs and went back to work at fixing themselves, they also released it early because of impatient gamers and investors, even though they said they needed more time.

journeyman
journeyman
I've been thinking about how Cyberpunk really did the "Dream Figure" character better.

Silverhand's always there giving his thoughts/opinions on different things during certain Gig's and the main quest. That he'll also react to some of your choices (Some of which actually matter in getting the secret ending).
The Guardian never does this. The Emperor does but only in regards to the Hammer, his Hideout and Ansur.

It also made me think that maybe BG3 was never meant to have a happy end for Tav and crew?

Admittidely, bit of a reach, but based off the two known original ends I've read (A deal with Raphael and Mindflayer transform "Down by the river"), that maybe the others were equally bittersweet?
And since Cyberpunk's endings were all equally bittersweet and sad (and maybe not that well liked; I mean, I imagine most people want happy endings) that Larian decided to go with the current ending, where the tadpoles just suddenly vanish.

T
addict
addict
T
Well i dont Think its Like Cyberpunk 2077 becouse i had a Worse experience with it at lounch back in a day and i was really expecting a lot from the game becouse i played a lot of it in table top when i was young with my cousins.. so yeah it holds a special place in my heart.. just like DeD
So Here it Comes.. i will Just Post Something i just Posted in another Post Related with the Endings and the Act 3 of this game..
(not long a go i post this one and saw this here.. sorry but i have to share this here too..) thats trully how i feel.

Well i Saw People Talking about Astarions good ending a Lot.. But For me its not His ending in the Good Path that its Flat and Week for me all of then are..
I will just Share my Experience so Far with this Game and yu guys Take as yu will..
i Already Beated dont Know maybe 10,11 times this game i just Stop couting in the 7 game becouse i had to deleat most of then since 3.0
but My Tale start well.. in my First Game i went with the Hero Path so far so Good, then i get to act 3 and i start to feell a litle bit empty and Rushed but so far so good..
then the ending come.. i do actually liked the Deck scene with all of then but i always felt Man i sure did something wrong this shit was not supposed to be the Good ending ?
where is the Party? , where is the Rebuild of the City? , Where is anything that make me feel something for evryone i went into the Trouble of Saving even the ones that pissed my ass off the entire game like Halsin and Gale..
So i Went Back thinking i did something Wrong.. that Maybe Just Maybe i Had to do More to get the REAL GOOD ending.. so i went Exploring the entire Stuff from bottom to Bottom, even looked at that Dude Werglia dont remember the Name but he beated the entire game and gave me some pretty good guides so can i see if i miss something... i see it all, i did it all, i even tested the unique scenes yu get with the exclusive origins and Classes as Tav. But No. the endings are just That.. nothing i did Change it..
and so i gave up and Make a Durge and a Evil Gale i get Something a Lot Better as a True Asshole in the game then been a Nice Guy and that its kinda of a Shame for me.. i always love to see the Two sides of a Tale when comes to games like these but for me the Hero ending.. Sux so much that i last night gave up o probably my last game ever.. and dont beleave i will ever come back until they at least Fix the Amount of Bugs they gave us in 3.0 and worst.. broke the One and only companion i trully liked to Romance.. Shadowheart.. shame.

(and fun Fact i can confirm indeed there are things in this game that yu do and will change some outcomes pretty Neat way.. in conversations and decisions in Late game too. Crazy Stuff and a Lot of Secrets in this game not joking. Even some Itens in inventory can make a Change and gave yu some unique conversations and scenes..Its just for yu to understand how much i tested of this game already..XD huahauha)

(another Crazy Thing.. Even when i Tried to Make some things go the Same way the Game Always just Always plays Unique.. just Crazy man.. not Joking Felt Like Real Table Top.. when always has a GM F yu when yu think yu are too Smart..hauhauhauha)

Last edited by Thorvic; 23/10/23 05:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard