Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
So about 24 hours into the game I decided to start over as Wyll. I find his story really interesting and would like to experience it as my main character. The only thing I hate is his appearance. I thought ok I 'll start playing him and change his appearance, especially his ridiculous haircut, once I reach camp.

Well, to my surprise the magic mirror doesn't work on origin characters, not even simple things like selecting another haircut. I can understand it not letting you change race/sex however not allowing simple changes such as cosmetics is in my opinion just bad design.

Is there any way to do change this? Any word on a possible future patch that allows cosmetic changes? This really is destroying my enjoyment of the game and I'll gladly put the game on hold until it's patched out.

Last edited by ChenTheGreat; 25/10/23 08:42 PM.
C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Well, after googling this question for the past two hours instead of playing the game I came up with the answer that while I can respec origin character and turn Gale into lets say a barbarian which makes no sense at all for his storyline I cannot do a simple thing like change Wylls haircut. Ridiculous.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, you can respec premade characters but can't use the mirror with them. You can change them using disguise self, that's about it though.

stranger
stranger
Hi there OP, if you are interested in and/or have access to modding on PC there is a mod that allows for changing Origins' appearance. There are limits to Wyll specifically due to his personal quest (no spoilers *grin*)

As far as the possibility for Larian allowing Origin changes via Magic Mirror--the community in general has been requesting this change but it's a delicious mystery as to if Larian will provide.
(I'm toooottttallly on your side btw. I feel it's a goofy restriction that we can't change hair style, make up, earrings when we play as Origins _and_ when they are companions in our Tav/Durge runs)

The mod is here

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/899

Best wishes!
*grin*

journeyman
journeyman
FWIW, you lose much of the story playing origin due to all the dialogue being lost.

addict
addict
Yeah playing origin is a bad idea anyway, honestly I dont know why thats even an option.

Also why would we need to edit origin characters, I dont really understand. After all you can design your own character, easy.

apprentice
apprentice
Never try the mod that allow you to edit origin characters, to see how changing thing like face interact with custom expressions on characters in cutscenes and all that but i think the awnser is probably in that way

I mean: it's difficult to justified that changing origin character haircut is more lore breaker than make for example, gale a barbarian, and you can do it from day one

I hope they implement at least limited customization for origin, like haircut and hair, skin, eyes color

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by kharneth
Never try the mod that allow you to edit origin characters, to see how changing thing like face interact with custom expressions on characters in cutscenes and all that but i think the awnser is probably in that way

I mean: it's difficult to justified that changing origin character haircut is more lore breaker than make for example, gale a barbarian, and you can do it from day one

I hope they implement at least limited customization for origin, like haircut and hair, skin, eyes color

Exactly! I feel the same way.

If you're considering trying the mod, I can tell you my perspective/experience. The mod is fun if you can get it to work properly--I have troubles with it and don't have it installed anymore (which is why I'm hoping and hoping Larian will eventually just let us change companions) but a lot of other players don't have any problems and really love it. The mod author is helpful and communicates with users regularly and the instructions are easy to follow, you just have make sure you read it all.

*grin*

Link Copied to Clipboard