Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
stranger
stranger
L
not sure if this has been brought up but in addition to this being just a really, really counterintuitive change that no one asked for and managed to make an already clunky process even clunkier, the fact that the new "hold for multiselect" just so happens to also be Square, it means that whenever I want to bring up a context menu when in the inventory system (which most here would agree is an extremely frequent/basically necessary occurrence with the controller UI), we now get an additional pause every time we do so while the game decides "is this gonna be a button hold or button press?" much like the already implemented and equally silly conflict of "Trade" and "Fight" when speaking to an NPC both being bound to Triangle. These additional "pauses" add up and make a huge impact of the overall "snappiness" of the inventory interface.

Is Larian so doubtful of the competence of the controller-using player base that they enforce this redundancy because we can apparently only handle an extremely limited variety of buttons to press even though they could have chosen one of roughly 10 or so other buttons available to even the most basic of current controllers to just "press" in this context?

"Shoulder buttons/triggers, stick clicks, D-pad, what are all these non 4-main face button things?" -Larian's idea of a typical controller user, apparently.

It's bad enough you (and to be fair, most console-based devs too) STILL don't "trust" us enough to fully customize our own keybinds like M/KB users have been able to do natively in-game (thanks DS4windows and to some extent Steam Input for getting at least PC users close to this standard of customization) for literally decades, but to force this on us with no alternative of even going back to the "it's better but not great" solution? Honestly, it's both tone-deaf on the devs' part and insulting to controller users. No matter if you use a $200 pro controller with custom Steam Input binds like myself (just as an extreme example), there's still no getting around this type of input requirement without involving somewhat advanced coding/mods that we have to procure ourselves.

Apologies for the novel but in case you couldn't tell, this sort of thing is at a boiling point for me, like I much prefer the ergonomics/familiarity of a controller but I have to go in to games like this already knowing the game is going to require significant customization on my part just to get to a level of control/efficacy even CLOSE to what M/KB users have gotten out of the box for, like I said, decades now.

D
dcpdx Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Looking at that Xbox controller with all the different mapped convoluted buttons/actions...
Why? WHY?? Just why do people thing its any easier than a mouse and keyboard lol. People go for the most complicated , weird, unnatural UI...

I play on SteamDeck most of the time and actually think the controller interface is great. It actually does a few things better than the MKB interface. Overall I think MKB is probably better but not by as much as you would think without having played with both a good amount. Larian did an exceptional job on it, this recent change is one of the few misses.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Please for the love of God. This is so flipping annoying on console. I like to keep all my scrolls in one bag, but then Gale can't learn spells if they are in a bag, so you need to now take every scroll out one by one, learn what you want, and then place them back into the bag one by one.

Even if you fixed this so Gale can learn spells that are inside bags in his inventory, the multi select is still broken. There are so many potions and other items like I like to move around in bulk. Please revert this change or improve it. Thank you

journeyman
journeyman
There is way too much feedback on this topic, leaves no room for my commentary, it's already well put. Patch 3 was the best for inventory management, it needs to roll back.

It goes with the old saying, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Also with customization and magic mirror is also fcked. It's like why?

~Kensei~
S
stranger
stranger
S
I made this account for the same reason as a lot of the people on this thread.

I'm on PS5 and from what I can tell online, Patch 4 added lots of new bugs and that's fine. They can be fixed with time. The main one that bothers me is the R2 bulk moving to a bag/chest.

I had previously delayed updating to patch 4 until last night due to storage space. When I got home, the first thing I did was log into BG3. I went to my camp and grabbed all of my items out of my "special items" chest that's when I noticed the change to the inventory management system.

To preface the next part, I go back to camp to mess with my stuff a lot. I love build crafting so I have picked up as much stuff as I could and even "acquired" items from the merchants using my five fingered discount. With 140 hours clocked I'm only in act 2. I love this game but this patch...

It bothered me so much that I made a poor decision and deleted my main campaign in it's entirety out of frustration. My desire to play Baulder's Gate 3 has dropped to a negligible level, in fact I have even considered dropping gaming as a whole because of this. I feel like a lost puppy and it's awful.

I know that most likely any chance of recovering my save is gone. Which sucks a lot but please, reroll patch 3 for inventory management or give an option to manually reroll previous patches. Like a patch list.

N
NPK Offline
stranger
stranger
N
Like others here I also made this account for the same reason, loss of the R2 trigger for multi select really hampers inventory slew tion and management across a bunch of gameplay features that a rather crucial to the game, such as accessing the camp Chester and moving items around and between containers.

The R2 worked perfectly, whereas the constant pause to hold square and then select with X is much less fluid, breaks immersion as I want my looting to be fast so I can get back into the game, and it also provides greater room for error where instead of moving gear I end up equipping it because I've pressed X again instead of moving onto the next item to select with it.

Please bring the R2 multi select feature back

J
stranger
stranger
J
I also made an account specifically to comment on this change. It's made inventory management way more of a hassle. I'm a PC player, but I use an xbox controller since I prefer the radials. Every time I hit X to send an item to another party member, there's a pause and the sound that starts to play when it thinks you're holding the button down. I'm going to double-down on all the other commenters who said it- this change was unintuitive, more time-consuming, and all around a downgrade. Please roll it back!

T
stranger
stranger
T
Please revert the controller multiselect back to the previous version. The new muliiselect does not work at all when selecting and moving multiple items from inventory to a container. Now, I must move each item individually as there is no menu option to move the group. Thanks.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Made an account for this exact reason as well

S
stranger
stranger
S
+1 please revert the controller multi-select change.

On mouse and keyboard, I can shift+lmb the last item in a container to quickly select all the items inside of it, right click to open the context menu and left click one of the options to send the selection to camp. That's 3 very quick interactions (and still 2 too many as far as I'm concerned— there really ought to be a "send all to camp" button right next to "take all" but I digress).

The previous implementation allowed me to press one button to quickly select one item, or hold it down and use thumb stick or d pad to select multiple items (still one by one, but at least the whole interaction didn't tediously drag on for no reason). I was already quite dissatisfied with that implementation, but seeing as there were other significant advantages to using a controller (direct "wasd" movement, area scanning for interactable objects, a lot less ui clutter on the screen etc.) it wasn't nearly enough of an annoyance to truly be a dealbreaker for me.

Well, the current implementation is. First, I have to hold down the x button for about half a second if not more, to select one item and enter the multi-select mode. If I then hold down A and move the selection with d pad or thumbstick to select other items, the game first deselects the original pre-selected item, which disables the multi-select. So I have to first move selection to another item, then press down A and only then can I start "dragging the selection" with d-pad. For a container with 3 items all of which I want to send to camp, it's literally just as fast if not faster to send them back one by one.

For me, the current implementation is simply unusable. I had to go back to using mouse and keyboard (which I'm not happy with either), just to stop getting frustrated.

D
dcpdx Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I was really hoping this would have been addressed in hot fix 11 frown

G
stranger
stranger
G
Made a whole account to jump on here and say please please PLEASE roll back to the R2 multi select on PS5! I promise I don't need to access the menu from the inventory that bad!

J
stranger
stranger
J
Or give us a refund? You've made the game unplayable. This is legit the shiitiest UI choice I've ever seen.

journeyman
journeyman
Just going to add my voice to the chorus as a PC player who uses a PS5 controller. Inventory management was already a pain before the Patch 4 changes; now it is much, much, much worse and I try to use the inventory as little as possible. (Not that I have played much since patch 4 broke my game to the point of unplayability.) I would really like to see it reverted to pre-Patch 4 controls as well.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I made a report the day Patch 4 was dropped on us, and I haven't played since. 650+ hrs over two main campaigns, halfway through Act 3, and I literally can't do anything. My bags and inventory need sorting, but it's so incredibly damn tedious, frustrating, and essentially unusable. Two hotfixes and just... more soap and romance stuff (mind you, they've broken Astarian's kissing animation with all the updates to that. Only works for body 2).

I get that people are being loud about romance interactions being added or fixed, but the core mechanics aren't functioning right. Nobody on console wanted this change. What we, and pc players, have consistently asked for is storage customisation. Let us rename or dye our bags/boxes/pouches. Add auto-latching options similar to the food and alchemy bags so potions, scrolls, arrows etc go into designated containers.

But for the love of god, roll back the button settings for multiselect to Patch 3.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Does anybody have info regarding whether this was even acknowledged as an issue by someone from Larian? I wanna keep holding onto the little hope I have left at this point that this (for me) game-breaking issue will get resolved promptly, but I'm starting to lose faith.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Silferas
Does anybody have info regarding whether this was even acknowledged as an issue by someone from Larian? I wanna keep holding onto the little hope I have left at this point that this (for me) game-breaking issue will get resolved promptly, but I'm starting to lose faith.

I received an email from them stating "The team is aware of this situation and it will be fixed in an upcoming hotfix or patch."

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by jandhyde

I received an email from them stating "The team is aware of this situation and it will be fixed in an upcoming hotfix or patch."
Cheers

D
dcpdx Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by jandhyde

Thanks! It would be nice if someone on the forums acknowledged these threads even if the update is just "we are aware".

M
stranger
stranger
M
As of Patch 5, it still hasn't been fixed/rolled back. I was genuinely so excited about this patch, because I really hoped Larian would fix this. But I loaded up my game and welp, there goes any excitement or interest I had left in playing BG3. Maybe we need to make another round of bug reports? idk... at this stage, I doesn't look like they care about fixing it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard