Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Playing Dark Urge was amazing, I really love it when a game grounds my character into the world, making them an actual part of it, like there are people that remember you and you have an actual story of living in the world, where is regular Tav feels like he got isekaied into the game and yeah you can come up with any crazy backstory you wish for them, but it's just so much better when your backstory is woven into the main plot, even if it's just that one character or a small little side quest.

It would be nice if we could customize the appearance of Origin characters at least a little bit, like we could in DoS2, but really I just wanted to throw the idea of it out there, maybe we could get another origin like the DU in a DLC or something? Or maybe in the next title just create fully customizable origins like DU. It would be so awesome if we had something like what they did in Dragon Age Origins, especially in multiplayer.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by 2DSpaceMan
Playing Dark Urge was amazing, I really love it when a game grounds my character into the world, making them an actual part of it, like there are people that remember you and you have an actual story of living in the world, where is regular Tav feels like he got isekaied into the game and yeah you can come up with any crazy backstory you wish for them, but it's just so much better when your backstory is woven into the main plot, even if it's just that one character or a small little side quest.

It would be nice if we could customize the appearance of Origin characters at least a little bit, like we could in DoS2, but really I just wanted to throw the idea of it out there, maybe we could get another origin like the DU in a DLC or something? Or maybe in the next title just create fully customizable origins like DU. It would be so awesome if we had something like what they did in Dragon Age Origins, especially in multiplayer.
If I were to customize origin companions I would pobably keep Astarion the same but change it so he has longer hair like Drizzt or Alucard from Castlevania,

The was originally another character that was scrapped but I feel like she could be reintroduced as DLC, unfortunately they're already about as Good Aligned as Karlach for a
Werewolf
halfling bard.

As for original custom origins they would need to introduce more evil ones to at least bring some balance to the amount of companions each side get.

journeyman
journeyman
Tav: An investigator from Baldur’s Gate who was working on solving a string of murders by Bhaalists before being kidnapped by the mindflayer ship.

For a DLC, I kinda like the idea of a true dragon PC who is stuck in a humanoid shape (so any of the base races). Part of their story could be about regaining their draconic form, and their plot might tie into Tiamat and Bahamuht

Last edited by Yharmeru; 13/11/23 06:00 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Yes, I would love another custom origin like DU as well! It really brought an immersive experience to the game!!!!
I really want a Drow origin and a new area to explore Drow city.

Last edited by mooncaketsuki; 13/11/23 10:22 AM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
I would love another custom origin, simply because I've heard DUrge was amazing but couldn't bring myself to play one, as the "blood, blood, BLOOD" vibe just completely turned me off. (I'll note here that I see myself too much in my characters and play as IRL "me" would play in whatever situation, and I just couldn't make myself do DUrge, even though I knew I'd get options to shift more "good" through the game progression.)

While I like being able to choose the character's race and class, as they are now, they're literally nobody until they get out of that pod... having a custom background (like all the other companions have) and then creating the person to go with that background would be awesome.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
You should totally try DUrge, they are not at all a murderhobo origin everyone describes them as, you CAN play it that way, but I feel like playing a good Durge is way more rewarding, definitely not in gameplay mechanics and power, cause you get some crazy items and powers for being a psycho, but narrative wise good Durge is a really compelling story.

I recently started a Shadowheart playthrough, with a mod to customize origin characters a little, it's been quite great although it definitely sucks to miss out on all that amazing voice acting by Shadowheart's actress. What I don't like is that sometimes narrator tells you what your character thinks and you are not given much choice to define that. You do have choice to play as whatever you want, it's almost like playing Tav, but when an Origin scene happens, it feels a bit railroaded, probably because you are a specific character with a specific backstory.

I think it would be cool if for custom origins you could have like a story and backstory framework, like for example you are a knight from a noble family and then from time to time you get a chance to also retroactively define and flesh out your backstory, for example maybe there is an even in your backstory where your knight served a nobleman and you can decide whether in the past you helped him execute the rebel peasants and you are in their favor or you in fact helped the peasents and were exiled or something. I get that it's complicated, but it's kinda been done in Dragon Age Origins to an extent and with a talented team like Larian I can't imagine what they could do with a more custom origins like that.

Doubt we'll get any of that in DLC's although that would be very smart on Larians part IMO, but maybe in the next game hmmm?

Durge gave me an experience I've never had in a video game! I love so many moments, it's hard to count them all.

Getting another origin would be absolutely amazing! If they do a DLC, that's a very efficient way to introduce new life into the game and get people back to playing if they decided to move on.

I don't have much of an opinion on customizing the origins. With certain characters, like SH or Astarion, their appearance is written into the story and they make comments on how they look so it may screw with flow and voice lines. But more choices is more choices so, I'm neutral smile

#JusticeForAstarion

Link Copied to Clipboard