Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
Hi, i just wanted to give my feedback, i am much older then most here, lived on this planet for over 4 decades now, seen all the games, good, bad and ugly, but this is truly worst game i have ever played. Refunded it immediately and DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE.

I always play as a caster and caster concept in this game is beyond broken. Who came up with the idea that caster should not be able to cast spells? Seriously?! After you cast spell you need to go to camp EVERY GOD DAMN TIME!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!????????????

Seriously game designers, are you insane? What is wrong with you? As a caster i walk around with spells that are just grey. WHY? For what? Always going to camp and back. Repetitiveness and levels of annoying are truly endless. WHY!!!??? JUST WHY?

If you want to play as a caster, don't buy this game, just don't.

J
J
Being a level 1 mage in the original Baldur's Gate was quite challenging; you've got your one magic missile and then when that's gone you have to fall back on a staff or dagger your character has no skill in until you rest. At least now there are cantrips so a magic user is never totally without magic.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I can understand the frustration, but BG3 follows D&D rules. Low-level casters in D&D have pretty limited capabilities, including the number of spells they can hold in their heads. In D&D, the idea (for wizards, at least) is that their magic comes from study, and requires mediation to prepare spells. To refresh those spells, a wizard rests.

As you level up, the spells you can learn are way more powerful.

Sorcerers don't have to study, per se, but do have to rest to regain spell slots.

A game that follows D&D rules can be a bit jarring if you're used to a pretty much unlimited supply of magic for your characters. You might have more fun with a mixed class, like a Paladin or Warlock, that combines fighting and magic. But hopefully, if you stick with it and level up, and gather a good party to support you, the magic casting will pay off.

As an aside, I can't speak for the average age of users here, but there seem to be a good deal of us who remember playing BG1 when it first came out, and I'm 57.

"Often forcing his victims to eat their own lips, he was caught and imprisoned for tax evasion." -Yellowbeard.
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
I refunded the game and will stick to WoW (mage). Wanted to try this to take my mind of the new raid a bit, but man, this game made me feel like some kind of cripple. Will never ever try it again.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Heh. See, now WoW is a game I find intolerable, so viva la difference, I guess laugh

Have fun, wherever you travel.

"Often forcing his victims to eat their own lips, he was caught and imprisoned for tax evasion." -Yellowbeard.
enthusiast
enthusiast
WOW and MMOs due to their once insane popularity have introduced a lot of annoying stuff into single player RPGs... at least that's where I first saw them. Like cooldown abilities you need to monitor and reactivate over and over, fighter type classes having an arsenal about equal as that of spellcasters (and basically casting non-spells left and right), ...

Originally Posted by JPCoutelier
Being a level 1 mage in the original Baldur's Gate was quite challenging; you've got your one magic missile and then when that's gone you have to fall back on a staff or dagger your character has no skill in until you rest. At least now there are cantrips so a magic user is never totally without magic.

Anything but solo mage BG1+2 is for n00bs. =)

Last edited by Sven_; 16/11/23 02:12 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Actually laughed out loud reading this, definitely has big WoW forum energy.

I love casters in this game, I make builds where Cantrips are my primary source of damage and I love it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[...] i am much older then most here, lived on this planet for over 4 decades now, [...]

Okay, this just HAS to be a troll.

Originally Posted by Dangerferret
[...] Low-level casters in D&D have pretty limited capabilities, including the number of spells they can hold in their heads. [...]

D&D5 buffed casters on lowlevel like crazy, actually, compared to earlier versions.

More hitpoints, better defenses, more spells, stonger spells, can cast spells endlessly (Cantrips and ritual spells out of combat), ...

OTOH they are no longer as insanely strong on highlevel. Soloing a dragon like it was nothing on a Sorcerer in BG2 was so fun.

Originally Posted by Paen
Actually laughed out loud reading this, definitely has big WoW forum energy.

I wouldnt know, never played WoW, never read a WoW forum.

Though back when WoW was popular it was really annoying how people kept telling you all the time you should play it, too.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Halycon Styxland
D&D5 buffed casters on lowlevel like crazy, actually, compared to earlier versions.

More hitpoints, better defenses, more spells, stonger spells, can cast spells endlessly (Cantrips and ritual spells out of combat), ...

OTOH they are no longer as insanely strong on highlevel. Soloing a dragon like it was nothing on a Sorcerer in BG2 was so fun.

Oh! That's good to know. My tabletop knowledge pretty much ends with 3.5-4, and most of anything more recent than that from Dungeons & Dragons Online, so some of the stuff hasn't quite made sense to me in a D&D context. I have enjoyed exploiting a wizard's ability to cast a flurry of spells and cantrips outside of combat. Maybe it's time to buckle down and get some 5th Edition manuals, whether I ever end up using them in RL or not.

addict
addict
Too bad the top poster will never know Eldritch Blast.

Last edited by ldo58; 16/11/23 03:01 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ldo58
Too bad the top poster will never know Eldritch Blast.

In particular Larian's kind of Eldritch Blast.

Have that phat ass boss spider crawling on the ledge into a chasm. Cast a single blast upgraded with "repelling blast".

GG

laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 16/11/23 07:48 PM.
stranger
stranger
[quote=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Hi, i just wanted to give my feedback, i am much older then most here, lived on this planet for over 4 decades now...

Hello there, look, I am even older than you, and age has nothing to do with anything really... maybe respect is what you are after... I give you respect...
But as another poster has mentioned, BG3 is based on D&D (tabletop game) rules. I have played D&D many times well before any computer games and this is normal, its how it works.
You take a turn, cast or melee and then you need to rest to be able to get those spells/melee's back for the next round. I feel that BG3 has made the process much more fun though... truly.

It's a pity you didn't take some time to get to know how things work... the higher the level you are, the more powerful your spells are, and you also get MORE spells to use. In the beginning, you have fewer spells to use and it is a bit hard (it is meant to be hard), so you use a bow or just hit the enemy with your staff when you don't have any spells left.

But its OK not to like a game, maybe BG3 is just not for you.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Yea wizards are SO weak :

Can’t cast any spells lol

Last edited by victorvnv; 17/11/23 04:35 AM.
addict
addict
trash thread, came straight from Steam forum, hope mods delete it soon.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
addict
addict
Should we tell top poster that lvl 1 wizards only had d4 HP in the original DND ?

I appreciate the responses in this thread have been so nice -- my initial reaction was confusion to OP.

Why come to the BG3 forum to tell everyone that a level 1 caster is hard and that they refunded the game before really trying it? I get a truly antagonistic vibe and I don't think OP wanted to do anything constructive.

OP: it's alright you don't like the game. The D&D system isn't for everyone. And believe me, for people who play D&D on the regular (myself), they actually made casting EASIER.
But I don't believe you came here to do anything other than crap on the game to a bunch of its fans and that isn't very "4 decades-old wise" to me. If you have constructive criticisms or suggestions, feel free to post those elsewhere but being purposefully antagonistic just doesn't do anything.

#JusticeForAstarion
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Honestly, I found it refreshing to read a complaint that wasn't about Act III. And I can get the whole "if you rage-quit and no one knows, did it really happen?" vibe that led them here. What I found interesting is that they'd been a member for an entire year, so a little reading could have re-set their expectations to match the game's set of rules.

There are D&D to video game rules that I think BG3 gets wrong.
Like, for instance, how a cleric's summoned spiritual weapon (that floats in the air) needs to follow a path and climb down a ladder to bonk someone on the head. You'd think objects that naturally levitate would have fly and feather fall sort of built in by default. Or how players with magically enhanced sight still can't shoot into or out of a patch of darkness, but that doesn't seem to be a rule that computer-controlled NPCs follow, making darkness spells a hindrance, not a benefit.

Also, I'm autistic, so I understand the frustration of something being a huge problem for me that no one else cares about, and how that can sometimes result in an immature urge to poop in the swimming pool, as it were, and tarnish everyone's fun. I'm not blaming the immaturity on autism (for those who track these things); I'm just saying I get the whole Howard Biel-esque "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" reaction. (Now, if I want to shirt-post, I do it on my own blog so no one has to see it unless they want to).

Plus, everything in the world seems so FUBAR-ed right now, maybe this huge reaction over a non-issue was just a straw breaking the camel's back sort of thing, and symbolic of larger frustration. Some people don't have much in the way of a social life, so gaming forums take on an overly-important role in their lives. (*cough* Not me, though... *cough*)

But potential psychology and philosophy aside, anytime I've played a game that involved D&D rules I've run into the same sort of mismatched expectations from gamers who have never played D&D before. The whole "endless supply of magic" and drifting towards god-like powers in roleplay is pretty much the reason Gygax and Arneson came up with D&D rules in the first place. "Oh, so you're going to pretend to be a wizard? Let's talk about what that means. Can *everyone* do magic? No. Because it's rare and hard to master. Oh, so you're a gnome fighter and you're carrying around 50 broadswords in your little backpack? I don't think so..."

I don't think anyone needs to reproduce the manuals or anything, but I'm always happy to help adjust expectations to the D&D mindset, which in many ways, is very counter-intuitive when you sort of expect to wander through a virtual landscape, blasting enemy pawns to smithereens without bothering to slow down. I think, as gamers, we tend to think in terms of new powers and enhancements when we level-up characters, but D&D is really a set of restrictions designed to tie fantastic stories to realistic expectations (like taking time to memorize spells, or to change your equipped weapon), so that Susan's imagination doesn't overrun Bob's when they rp.

It might be too late for the OP, but I'm sure there are other people who came to BG3 possibly thinking that the game's ties to D&D were, like so many other games based on other things, in name only. If the mods don't delete the thread, hopefully anyone wandering by and agreeing with the OP will then see the responses and maybe have a chance to adjust their thinking before tossing BG3 aside.

Speaking of asides, I also want to mention how refreshing these forums are. Everyone knows more about D&D than I do, which is super because I get to learn more (and I thought I knew a lot, so even better.) And people, even though this is a gaming forum on the internet, seem reasonable and kind. I imagine the reaction if this grenade had been tossed into the Guild Wars forums, for instance. (or pretty much anywhere else) And perhaps they were hoping to set off a chain reaction by enraging all of us. But it won't work! We're already enraged. We're just enraged because things aren't working as well as they should right now, and we want them to. Trying to tear down the things that are working properly is like sending an ant to take down a gorilla that's surrounded by a pack of wild hyenas. Or something...

Last edited by Dangerferret; 17/11/23 12:34 PM. Reason: clarification

stranger
stranger
Honestly, I found it refreshing to read a complaint that wasn't about Act III. And I can get the whole "if you rage-quit and no one knows, did it really happen?" vibe that led them here. What I found interesting is that they'd been a member for an entire year, so a little reading could have re-set their expectations to match the game's set of rules.

There are D&D to video game rules that I think BG3 gets wrong.
Like, for instance, how a cleric's summoned spiritual weapon (that floats in the air) needs to follow a path and climb down a ladder to bonk someone on the head. You'd think objects that naturally levitate would have fly and feather fall sort of built in by default. Or how players with magically enhanced sight still can't shoot into or out of a patch of darkness, but that doesn't seem to be a rule that computer-controlled NPCs follow, making darkness spells a hindrance, not a benefit.

Also, I'm autistic, so I understand the frustration of something being a huge problem for me that no one else cares about, and how that can sometimes result in an immature urge to poop in the swimming pool, as it were, and tarnish everyone's fun. I'm not blaming the immaturity on autism (for those who track these things); I'm just saying I get the whole Howard Biel-esque "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" reaction. (Now, if I want to shirt-post, I do it on my own blog so no one has to see it unless they want to).

Plus, everything in the world seems so FUBAR-ed right now, maybe this huge reaction over a non-issue was just a straw breaking the camel's back sort of thing, and symbolic of larger frustration. Some people don't have much in the way of a social life, so gaming forums take on an overly-important role in their lives. (*cough* Not me, though... *cough*)

But potential psychology and philosophy aside, anytime I've played a game that involved D&D rules I've run into the same sort of mismatched expectations from gamers who have never played D&D before. The whole "endless supply of magic" and drifting towards god-like powers in roleplay is pretty much the reason Gygax and Arneson came up with D&D rules in the first place. "Oh, so you're going to pretend to be a wizard? Let's talk about what that means. Can *everyone* do magic? No. Because it's rare and hard to master. Oh, so you're a gnome fighter and you're carrying around 50 broadswords in your little backpack? I don't think so..."

I don't think anyone needs to reproduce the manuals or anything, but I'm always happy to help adjust expectations to the D&D mindset, which in many ways, is very counter-intuitive when you sort of expect to wander through a virtual landscape, blasting enemy pawns to smithereens without bothering to slow down. I think, as gamers, we tend to think in terms of new powers and enhancements when we level-up characters, but D&D is really a set of restrictions designed to tie fantastic stories to realistic expectations (like taking time to memorize spells, or to change your equipped weapon), so that Susan's imagination doesn't overrun Bob's when they rp.

It might be too late for the OP, but I'm sure there are other people who came to BG3 possibly thinking that the game's ties to D&D were, like so many other games based on other things, in name only. If the mods don't delete the thread, hopefully anyone wandering by and agreeing with the OP will then see the responses and maybe have a chance to adjust their thinking before tossing BG3 aside.

Speaking of asides, I also want to mention how refreshing these forums are. Everyone knows more about D&D than I do, which is super because I get to learn more (and I thought I knew a lot, so even better.) And people, even though this is a gaming forum on the internet, seem reasonable and kind. I imagine the reaction if this grenade had been tossed into the Guild Wars forums, for instance. (or pretty much anywhere else) And perhaps they were hoping to set off a chain reaction by enraging all of us. But it won't work! We're already enraged. We're just enraged because things aren't working as well as they should right now, and we want them to. Trying to tear down the things that are working properly is like sending an ant to take down a gorilla that's surrounded by a pack of wild hyenas. Or something...

Look, I'm not trying to be awkward on main but this whole post is gold! I don't know you--but I like your style. "so gaming forums take on an overly-important role in their lives. (*cough* Not me, though... *cough*)" Joyous.

As for OP, yeah it's okay to not like stuff. I couldn't get into Conan Exiles and demanded(!) my money back but was refused because I'd spent so much time starting over and over and over again. So I kept the crappy thing and boycotted Steam for like, a year. *snicker* but thennnnnn, I was inspired by a Twitter mutual to try the game again and what's this?!! I liked it! What what? How? Idk but it clicked and suddenly I was modding and taking screen-shots and having a blast. So whateva.
Have your fun, don't have your fun, get that money back, go play something else. It's cool.

Ps. I love WoW too been playing since my mid-twenties and recently got my Mom(!) to play and now she loves it too.

*grin*

veteran
veteran

Oh man, the guild wars 2 forum would explode with snark lol. They really don't like this type of thread haha

Last edited by Boblawblah; 17/11/23 04:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
I actually think this is a great thread.

The original poster provided feedback which led to a discussion among other forum members. Seems like the thread is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard