Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jimnms Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm currently playing a Warlock (level 7). I picked up counterspell and I have also Psyonic Backlash. I have Gale with me, who also has counterspell. I just wiped out the Githyanki Creche and several times when an enemy cast a spell, when I was prompted to make a reaction, my only choice was the Psyonic Backlash. Couterspell was not an option with either my character or Gale, and yes I had a spell slot available and Gale had level 3 and 4 spell slots available. At first I thought maybe they had spells that are immune to counterspell because they were using new spells I haven't seen yet, but it also happened later with common spells and cantrips I've counterspelled before.

Also, is there something that gives you the ability to make multiple reactions per round or is the AI cheating? When fighting the Githyanki doctor, she used counterspell twice in one round. My character and Gale were on the same initiative. She used counterspell first on my character, and then immediately after used it again on Gale.

Another odd thing that happened, I was hidden and ambushed a group of them. I cast a spell from hiding to start combat, but they cast counterspell. It countered the spell, but I stayed hidden and it didn't even start combat.

A
A
I ran into the same problem with Gale during the holidays. I previously used Counterspell with a Swords Bard in another playthrough and it triggered consistently as long as I had spellslots.

T
addict
addict
T
Its a Bug i Beleave..
As long as yu Have spell slots to Use it, it should show the option for yu..
Btw the Counter is Broken in another way too..
Many Times in my Last Run i Counter the Spell from the Dude but still get to deal with the spell that i was supposed to counter..
Sometimes even if yu use it not counter proper.

BTW yu say yu Play as Lock.. i love it too..
But did yu Mix with another Thing or yu Play as Full Lock only ?!
yu will Miss a Bunch of spell slots if yu dont Mix with Sorcerer..
to cast a Bunch of spells evry turn thats the way..
Or go with a Hexablade or Palock..
with this 2 builds yu will never need Counter..

I Only Play as Lock mix nowadays..
Hexablade most of the Times (Fighter/Lock)

Best Mix is always
7 Fighter/ 5 lock or 7 lock/5 fighter but yu will Miss +2 stats going 7 lock.
8 Sorcerer/ 2 Lock/ 2 fighter (For action Surge.)
7 Pala/ 5 Lock.

These are the Strongest Lock Builds i ever Did in this Game.
Bard/Lock Works well too.. but i never Used it..
Since its a Charisma Based Char i Bet it Mix well with Lock or Sorcerer or even Both.
i Tried Once 3 thief/3 Bard school of Sword/ 6 Sorcerer on Astarion..
And worked really Nice.

Last edited by Thorvic; 02/01/24 08:03 PM.
veteran
veteran
Do you have the counterspell reaction for those levels turned on in your reactions tab? Is the checkbox checked?

A
old hand
old hand
A
I also have the feeling that it sometimes didn't trigger, though I doubted myself somewhat in those cases too because they were pretty big battles.

jimnms Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by JandK
Do you have the counterspell reaction for those levels turned on in your reactions tab? Is the checkbox checked?
Yes, all reactions are set to ask, but it seems that I randomly don't get counterspell as an option, just Psyonic Backlash. I don't think Psyonic Backlash is causing a conflict, usually I get the prompt for myself and Gale when an enemy casts a spell. My character has the option to use counterspell, Psyonic Backlash, or no reaction, and Gale has counterspell or no reaction.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Yep, it annoyingly seems to not trigger sometimes. Interestingly, I'm doing a run now without using Illithid powers at all and it seems to be triggering more consistently. I always suspected Psionic backlash (or too many reactions on a unit in general) caused a conflict but could never prove it. It may be some other strange coding witchcraft unrelated to Illithid powers though.

I think it might depend on the unit's distance and the game misjudging that distance and thus miscalculating whether a spell is in range of being counterspelled. Maybe due to uneven terrain.

There's a fight in act 3
where you confront an assassin who is scripted to use a special dimension door ability to dip out and escape the fight. I always prevent this by huddling multiple counterspell users around him as close as I can and the counterspell reaction has never failed to trigger.

It's those long range counterspells (though still well within range of what should trigger the reaction) that sometimes do not trigger, in my experience.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by jimnms
Originally Posted by JandK
Yes, all reactions are set to ask, but it seems that I randomly don't get counterspell as an option, just Psyonic Backlash. I don't think Psyonic Backlash is causing a conflict, usually I get the prompt for myself and Gale when an enemy casts a spell. My character has the option to use counterspell, Psyonic Backlash, or no reaction, and Gale has counterspell or no reaction.

I'm not sure. That's very strange. I haven't had that issue. Hope someone can figure out what's going on.

A
old hand
old hand
A
The range idea adds up. The fight in which I wondered about my counterspells was the Act 3 Hag fight, which also covers a large area with uneven terrain.

T
addict
addict
T
The distance Trigger for the Counter its a Thing for Real..
if yu are too Far away yu cant Counter..

But i Beleave its Bugged becouse of what yu report..
and BTW i only Had Problems too with counter not Countering the Spell when i was Full Ilithid..
Maybe thats what coused the Bug..
Having too Many reactions at the Same time in 1 char.

When i Played in my last Run as Hero dude and Never used any Ilithid.. things went Ok.

Last edited by Thorvic; 03/01/24 01:46 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard