Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I went to try for a 'perfect' Grove defence a couple of days ago, aiming to finish it with no friendly deaths and with the goblins never breaching the gate. While it took some finagling to not have Arka die to the Eastern spider immediately, it is possible to escape the fight with 0 casualties. It's also pretty straightforward to make sure that the goblin sappers never manage to reach the front gate to destroy it, provided you make good use of the oil barrels. Coming from this, I have a couple issues with how this played out:

First, even though no one died, Zevlor still gave his victory speech as though multiple people had been killed while defending and Ikaron has similar dialogue at the celebration. My suggestion for this would be to have a slight dialogue change for this scenario to remove the reference to people dying or make it clear that they aren't just referring to the defence, if they're meant to be talking about everyone who died since they went on the road.

Second is that Minthara sticks around even when her sappers failed to bring down the gate and all her forces are dead. I would suggest that she flee the fight when either it becomes impossible for her forces to breach the gate or when a certain proportion of her forces are killed. This would make a less contrived way to have her show up later in the game, as I've heard she now shows up again if she's defeated with non-lethal damage. I can see why she might stick around if she actually makes it through the gate before her forces are massacred, but it was weird to have her stood atop her hill yelling at her entirely dead goblin army to charge the undamaged gate.

Third, It's way too easy to stop the goblins from breaching the gate at all. A few well-thrown oil barrels make it dead easy to kill all three sappers in one shot on the second round and while it is satisfying, the rest can feels a bit like mopping up, afterward.

Fourth, (and this one may be the most nitpicky, but it still bothered me) it's annoying that Arka's default position is *outside* the defences, past the concealed oil barrels and extremely exposed. It feels like her placement was contrived just to have the raid defence open with a friendly casualty. The presence of the concealed barrels tells me that they clearly expect some goblins to get onto the cliff and the fact that she starts the fight on the wrong side of them makes her look either stupid or suicidal.

I really liked having this as an option and I actually did quite enjoy it, overall. I've run through it a few times, now, and the whole thing can change a decent bit depending on who you have with you and where they're placed, but I feel like addressing some of these issues could really enhance the experience of it. The fact that allowing the raid to happen makes clearing out the shattered sanctum easier due to the reduced number of enemies was a great idea and was what originally led me to try it. I might also suggest making that effect more apparent ahead of time so more people might try it; a friend of mine has done several runs through act 1 and never knew you could incite the raid and then play defence.

Edit: Fifth point: once Halsin finds out in the prison that Minthara has left for the raid, he rushes away to prepare for it, but doesn't show up at the Grove until *after* the battle is done. Not really sure what this is about since he leaves urgently to do nothing all night. It isn't elaborated on what he was doing and no one calls attention to the fact that he missed the whole thing, as far as I could tell. Also I get that the Druids mostly aren't fighters, but even the ones who can fight sit the whole thing out. I was at least expecting a line about how the ones that can fight, like Kagha, are off keeping other Goblins busy to cut down on the number you're facing or some such.

Last edited by CodexOfXol; 02/01/24 11:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
  • 1. Yeah I also found it a bit odd Zevlor mentioning people dying, because nobody ever dies in my playthroughs including Arka most of all. Unfortunately there are a few inconsistencies with that part of the story because even if you kill all the Goblin leaders at the camp instead, several NPCs will still act as if they were just in battle.

For example Bex will be treating her husband as if he got wounded. The oxen will mention how they wanna stomp on even more goblins. Most will react properly though like kids being disappointed for not getting to fight. Definitely needs some further polish.

• 2. That is an AMAZING suggestion and you should make it its own thread. It would also wonderfully play into her being an intelligent commander because Minthara is quite calculating and pragmatical, instead of a suicidal maniac. Her retreating would make sense after seeing the battle was definitely lost.

• 3. True, their 2nd turn is just a simple chain-reaction in which all three die.

If anything Larian could space out the sappers so that they are a threat every few turns, instead of stupidly dying altogether in a chain-explosion. For example one gets close at turn 2, another at turn 4 and another at turn 6 so that they are a consistent threat throughout the fight. Increase their HP slightly to compensate for them being a priority target as well and the gates go boom if they are not focused on. Reminds me of Lord Of The Rings Helm's Deep battle ^^

However I am not entirely on board about them breaching the Grove's gates more successfully because by all means the raid is supposed to be a trap for Minthara and she is very aware of it being a suicidal charge, which is why she won't do it unless the player agrees to help her with the gates. So that part entirely fits Minthara's reasoning.

• 4. As an Arka fan, yup she is unfortunately annoyingly exposed grin I usually do a massive jump with Lae'zel over to that side as soon as the battle starts to tank the hits or just push the spider back down. But yup, she is always the most likely one to get killed in a single turn if she doesn't dodge. So far away from everyone.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
To save Arka, you can go into turn based mode, cast Sanctuary on her, then have another character blow the horn to start the fight. Always works. The spider will jump up and take a swing at Shadowheart or whoever you've got over there instead, so I'd recommend having her + a strong melee fighter to kill the spider quickly.

veteran
veteran
lol, I remember back in early access the way Asharak used to immediately jump off the cliff to fight all the goblins. Talk about a tiefling that was hard to keep alive.

I always figured the dead mentioned were the ones they lost along the way. I mean, I get where you're coming from. It definitely sounds like Zevlor's talking about people dying in the current fight, and yeah, there's a lot of weird dialogue about who did what in the fight.

As for the druids, they're hiding out on purpose. I don't like that so much, especially if you've convinced Kagha to abandon the shadows. Doubly so if you happen to be a druid yourself who's earned the title of Faithwarden and been gifted the Pale Oak quarterstaff. But... shrug? It is what it is, I suppose.

I also don't love that so many of the tieflings don't help out at the gate. Guex is certainly high enough level. What the heck has he been practicing for if not this? And why are Rolan, Lia, and Cal not helping defend the gate?

But all of that said, again... shrug? What can be done about it? The fight's alright too easy, right? Imagine if the tieflings and druids actually fought back. There wouldn't be any reason for the PC to be there.

Minthara should already have a force about three times as large, imo.

I do like the idea of Minthara trying to flee if her war party is close to being defeated.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
  • 1. Yeah I also found it a bit odd Zevlor mentioning people dying, because nobody ever dies in my playthroughs including Arka most of all. Unfortunately there are a few inconsistencies with that part of the story because even if you kill all the Goblin leaders at the camp instead, several NPCs will still act as if they were just in battle.

For example Bex will be treating her husband as if he got wounded. The oxen will mention how they wanna stomp on even more goblins. Most will react properly though like kids being disappointed for not getting to fight. Definitely needs some further polish.

• 2. That is an AMAZING suggestion and you should make it its own thread. It would also wonderfully play into her being an intelligent commander because Minthara is quite calculating and pragmatical, instead of a suicidal maniac. Her retreating would make sense after seeing the battle was definitely lost.

• 3. True, their 2nd turn is just a simple chain-reaction in which all three die.

If anything Larian could space out the sappers so that they are a threat every few turns, instead of stupidly dying altogether in a chain-explosion. For example one gets close at turn 2, another at turn 4 and another at turn 6 so that they are a consistent threat throughout the fight. Increase their HP slightly to compensate for them being a priority target as well and the gates go boom if they are not focused on. Reminds me of Lord Of The Rings Helm's Deep battle ^^

However I am not entirely on board about them breaching the Grove's gates more successfully because by all means the raid is supposed to be a trap for Minthara and she is very aware of it being a suicidal charge, which is why she won't do it unless the player agrees to help her with the gates. So that part entirely fits Minthara's reasoning.

• 4. As an Arka fan, yup she is unfortunately annoyingly exposed grin I usually do a massive jump with Lae'zel over to that side as soon as the battle starts to tank the hits or just push the spider back down. But yup, she is always the most likely one to get killed in a single turn if she doesn't dodge. So far away from everyone.

• 1. Interesting! I hadn't realised that you get the same sort of ending afterward. I haven't tried the alternate approach yet. This seems like a weird hole to have right at the conclusion.

• 2. I may do that tomorrow! Thanks for the suggestion!

• 3. I like your idea of having them come in successive rounds rather than all at once. And while I do still think that it should maybe be a little tougher, I appreciate your reasoning for why it shouldn't be. I still lean toward a slight toughening but the staggering of the sappers might accomplish that.

Link Copied to Clipboard