Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It is very sad and disappointing how little care and attention went into evil choices for the game, which only become worse due to all the story inconsistencies, broken outcomes and terrible imbalance of content in comparison to heroic choices.

So based on this it was pretty much expected that the evil ending for a Chosen Dark Urge will most likely not even have an epilogue showing any aftermath and will just be a very short straight-to-the-point "Yay congratulations, you're EVIL! Look at your awesome Durge having their little evil moment with an evil punchline... quickly lets fade to black!" type of ending.

And unfortunately that's exactly it. A disappointingly unimaginative and uncared for ending considering Dark Urge is an Origin character whose story is the very centerpiece that kickstarted the game's events and was about to achieve its Father's unholy will were it not for Orin. All due to the blood within it, the very purpose of its existence because of which the whole world becomes an apocalyptic bloodbath where all of life's creation in existence gets snuffed out for a God who we don't even get to hear in the game's final moments.

Everyone knows exactly what happens if a Chosen Dark Urge wins, the world ends GG. But just because the entire existence is about to be slain doesn't mean that the character's ending does not deserve proper respect for all the hours the player invests into obtaining this ending, which even has an achievement locked behind it. This ending after all does require some specific outcomes to be met.

• First it would have been awesome if Father would speak to us at the very moment of the biggest choice in the game as the fate of all existence hangs in the balance, motivating us with final words as we're on the precipice of fulfilling his most unholy will. This is what Dark Urge was created for, this is what they were going to achieve before the game even started. The pinnacle of their very existence, their very purpose. Would've been nice to hear his deep bass voice in the moment that matters most.

• And second it would have been awesome if there was a short epilogue showing the cosmic aftermath where all of existence got snuffed out, with the Dark Urge and their lover being the only remaining living beings in the universe because a Chosen Dark Urge's goal is to be the last living being in existence and the last offering to its Father.

Imagine the screen fading to black after the ending, several decades passing and a new scene fading into view.

Various planes shown covered in crimson blood as trillions of corpses of all races are rotting, cities demolished and skies clouded in scorched ashes... slowly leading into a scene of an unknown distant dead world with a night sky still full of glowing stars in the background as the camera reveals mountains of corpses, rotting underneath the dead Absolute's gigantic corpse where Dark Urge and their still barely-dominated love interest sit embraced together on its throne of brine, corpses of non-romanced companions rotting under their feet in pools of dried out ritualistic blood.

Dark Urge cradling its dominated lover as they sit on the throne, looking deeply into each other's eyes before locking into one final deeply meaningful and lasting passionate kiss... when SUDDENLY! A slow yet oddly comforting sound of a compassionate dagger slice, slitting the lover's throat gently as if not to hurt them while they're still locked in the kiss. Warm blood spilling and enveloping them both in a crimson blanket as the love interest is peacefully embraced by death in Dark Urge's cradling arms, their hand holding onto the very dagger that murdered them.

Dark Urge finally the last being in the whole of existence as it cradles the corpse of their now dead love interest stares towards the camera, as if pondering for a moment and exhaustingly sighs. Nothing but silence around it, no audience to witness its final murder... its own. So terribly exhausted from waging war on all of existence for so long it can't even remember how long, it closes its eyes as it slowly raises the dagger still held onto by their dead lover's hand and slits its own throat.

Both lovers now eternally embraced on the dead Absolute's throne, enveloped in a comforting crimson blanket overlooking mountains of corpses underneath the Netherbrain's gigantic corpse as the lights of the stars behind them slowly begin to snuff out one by one and the whole universe fades into nothing but a vast lifeless silence of the black void as the camera draws out.

The screen fades slowly to black and the credits roll.

Unfortunately too bad! Evil-doers clearly do not deserve proper endings, content, outcomes nor story consistency for that matter. All they get is less content with each evil action and aren't even worth a final aftermath cutscene.

The Dark Urge polishing a chair with their butt is all they get;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Was so excited to roleplay a Chosen Dark Urge for which I've been committing evil deeds over the last 220+ hours in succession just to see its ending... but without some sort of aftermath that shows the annihilation of existence as mentioned above with dominated companions acting as the chosen bringers of the apocalypse, even simple stills of art, it's a very generic and unmemorable ending for a core character of the story responsible for all that happened.

Dark Urge deserves better frown

old hand
old hand
Unfortunately, way too many things in act 3 are WAY too underbaked. I really like your sketch of a suitably epic evil ending for the Dark Urge. Maybe they should hire you?

A
stranger
stranger
A
So based on this it was pretty much expected that the evil ending for a Chosen Dark Urge will most likely not even have an epilogue showing any aftermath and will just be a very short straight-to-the-point "Yay congratulations, you're EVIL! Look at your awesome Durge having their little evil moment with an evil punchline... quickly lets fade to black!" type of ending.

If you want to hear something even more disappointing, that ending is not even unique to Chosen Durge. Chosen TAV gets the same exact ending. Only difference is Tav says "In Their Name". It's honestly kidna depressing that's all we get on Chosen Durge when it's spelled out exactly what the durge ending is.

Something even close to what you suggested would be much better than what we got, and I hope Larian is redoing this ending for Durge at some point.

I get it, not many people fully commit to doing Father's work, but for those of us that do, it'd be nice if we got the ending we were actually promised.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
I really like your sketch of a suitably epic evil ending for the Dark Urge. Maybe they should hire you?

Glad you enjoy it, though the evil playthrough would most likely end up being more captivating and polished than the heroic playthrough, so not sure if that'd be a "good" thing grin

Hopefully they're aware though that the evil choices in the game are so pitifully underdeveloped and uncared for and need some proper attention. It's more tragical than any Greek tragedy I ever read.

Originally Posted by Adina
If you want to hear something even more disappointing, that ending is not even unique to Chosen Durge. Chosen TAV gets the same exact ending. Only difference is Tav says "In Their Name". It's honestly kidna depressing that's all we get on Chosen Durge when it's spelled out exactly what the durge ending is.

I expected as much, because this whole ending just screamed PLACEHOLDER ENDING as I was watching it. So generic and obvious that it's insane this is an ending for an ORIGIN character responsible for everything that happens in the game and quite insulting that it even has an achievement tied behind it, totally undeserving of having one as it currently is.

To make matters worse I even sabotaged my own Honour playthrough and ran it straight into the ground at the very end because I accidentally lost Orin's duel and therefore lost this ending. Started a new 110 hours playthrough again just to get back to this point ONLY to see this ending...

Urgh!

[DARK URGE INTENSIFIES!]

Hate... HATE IT! Stab the ending, STAB! Stab it AGAIN 'n again 'n again 'n again...

Hanged by its sinews, DANGLING and bloody! Screaming and CRYING! Did it think it could FINISH?! DID IT THINK IT COULD BE GOOD?! Hihihihehehehahaha!

S
old hand
old hand
S
Considering there are still new Durge endings popping up on YouTube, it's possible it will appear in a later patch (or the definite edition)

Link Copied to Clipboard