Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
omg I love Halsin! He is my favorite.

I use he every time I play, but he only comes into the game very late!

You can rescue him quickly, but he stays at the camp waiting to save Thaniel for a large part of the game. You usually rescue him at lvl 7 or 8.

I would love to use our cute druid longer, right after the goblin camp, even if he has fewer interactions than the other characters until we get to act 2.

Could this be possible one day?

thank you for this wonderful game! /kiss

veteran
veteran
+1! I hope in a patch or the definitive edition they will add the option to recruit Halsin as a playable companion in Act 1 at or after the party!

A
A
I don't understand why he's supposed to be helping you, but he stays in camp. Plus he doesn't even join you for most of HIS quest.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I don't think Halsin being playable in Act 1 will ever be a thing. Since Minthara is his antithetical counterpart in Act 1 and she's forced to Moonrise Towers (whether you spare her for good playthroughs or side with the goblins) it would be unfair to have him playable way before her.

I do find him forced into your camp unreasonable and if they had to pander to the Halsin simp crowd (since Swen really has a soft spot and favoritism for a non-origin companion for them) then they have to be fair with Minthara as well.

Not to derail your post, but I'd much much rather see polish in other aspects of the game and just have someone mod your request.

veteran
veteran
I on the other side want him gone. I don't need a sex pest in my camp. He literally has nothing going on in act 3 at all and act 2, he feels sidelined too. He can cure the Shadowcurse, yes, but overall, Jaheira feels, like she is truly the one, knowing her way around despite Halsin, according to his own words, have been there at the first attack at Moonrise.
And you can't refuse him. You can refuse every other companion but not him. It is frustrating.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
S
Yes, I'd like to have Halsin as a companion starting from act one. I prefer druids to clerics anyway, and while I like Jaheira, I've had her enough times in my BG1&2 parties that I didn't even bother recruiting her last time.

E
E
Originally Posted by fylimar
I on the other side want him gone. I don't need a sex pest in my camp. He literally has nothing going on in act 3 at all and act 2, he feels sidelined too. He can cure the Shadowcurse, yes, but overall, Jaheira feels, like she is truly the one, knowing her way around despite Halsin, according to his own words, have been there at the first attack at Moonrise.
And you can't refuse him. You can refuse every other companion but not him. It is frustrating.

I do agree that being forced to have a sex pest in the camp is a bit of a problem, and I truly hope they will fix him one day so that he'll actually become the mature and wise man that we were basically promised in EA (and kind of in ACT 1 and 2). I also agree that he should not be forced upon the player. Let people who want nothing to do with him reject him without actually having to kill him. He could head to Last Light Inn on his own if player doesn't want him in the camp and meet them there to help with the Shadowcurse if need be.

But I also do think that he should be recruitable after the party in ACT 1. There's really no point in having him stand around in camp all this time doing just about nothing.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Why are we not allowed to have a single thread about liking Halsin without people coming in to say he's the worst, needs to be cut, whatever? Don't you guys have like five threads for that already? Or did you get the most recent closed too by being wankers again?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by autistichalsin
Why are we not allowed to have a single thread about liking Halsin without people coming in to say he's the worst, needs to be cut, whatever? Don't you guys have like five threads for that already? Or did you get the most recent closed too by being wankers again?
Because this is a discussion board and people discuss stuff? What do you want to hear? It's the same with ascended Astarion pros and cons or more or less romance pro and cons.
Like it or not, Halsin is the most controversial of all companions. If you like him, we'll, good for you, but I'm allowed to voice my opinion too.

Doctor Who
A
A
There's a difference between constructive criticism and just saying you hate him.

Halsin's got issues, we all know it. Offering solutions to those issues is a lot more productive and doesn't derail a conversation.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Making him a proper companion, with a romance arc that starts in Act 1 like all the others and not just someone taking up space in camp, might even fix some of those Act 3 issues. (Or make them worse, but one could hope.)

addict
addict
Making him a proper companion in Act 1 would be unfair to Minthara.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Asri
There's a difference between constructive criticism and just saying you hate him.

Halsin's got issues, we all know it. Offering solutions to those issues is a lot more productive and doesn't derail a conversation.

His issue is, that he doubles down on class and race and has nothing to offer. He has no storyline in act 3, that can be fixed. He has his creepy behavior, that sure, but I still think, it was wrong to pander to the simp crowd, instead of giving us an actual interesting companion.

But if you want solutions: Minthara at least has a motivation to help us - keeping her free will. They could easily have Halsin tadpoled at the goblin camp - which would have also be a great explanation for why an archdruid is so low level and powerless. Give him a storyline in act 3 - he already cares about the refugees, why not tie the Open Hand murder quest, where taht refugee was blamed and the rigged toy quest to him, which would have him involved into the Bhaal storyline - bang connection to main story. Together with the tadpole and without the creepiness, he would still be the most boring companion, but at least somewhat bearable.

Doctor Who
A
A
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r

I think it's quite reasonable to get Minthara Act 1 on an evil run. I'm not a fan of Minthara recruitment on a good run -- I feel evil runs should have something special exclusive to them.

They could easily have Halsin tadpoled at the goblin camp - which would have also be a great explanation for why an archdruid is so low level and powerless.

I really like the tadpole idea, but doesn't everyone get tadpoled at Moonrise Towers? Of course they can make an exception. That they never show his power aside form opening a portal bothers me. But then they also label Kagha as an archdruid, so they are a lot looser with that term than in DnD proper.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Asri

I think it's quite reasonable to get Minthara Act 1 on an evil run. I'm not a fan of Minthara recruitment on a good run -- I feel evil runs should have something special exclusive to them.

They could easily have Halsin tadpoled at the goblin camp - which would have also be a great explanation for why an archdruid is so low level and powerless.

I really like the tadpole idea, but doesn't everyone get tadpoled at Moonrise Towers? Of course they can make an exception. That they never show his power aside form opening a portal bothers me. But then they also label Kagha as an archdruid, so they are a lot looser with that term than in DnD proper.

Not everyone get tadpoled at Moonrise - most people do, but if you talk to priestess Gut, you know, that Gortash was there, talking to her. And he might have given her instructions, since one of the plans was to eliminate the druid thread. And he might have given her the order to catch and tadpole the local druid leader and send him back to bring the grove to heels. And our group disrupted that process. Durge was not tadpoled in Moonrise either, though they were at some point there. Kagha should be labelled acting archdruid tbh.

Doctor Who
S
S
I genuinely don't want more tadpoled companions. I'd simply like for Halsin to join the party earlier, since he does already in act two. And for Larian to keep his characterization more consistent with how he is in act one.

E
E

If recruiting Halsin is unfair to Minthara, it's already sort of unfair as is now since Halsin is with the player from the party in ACT 1 anyway. He's there with us no matter what we do and we have access to him as oppose to Minthara who we just have shorter meetings with until later on. It really makes no sense having someone in the camp that we can't utilize.

And to fair, being able to recruiting Minthara in ACT 1 on evil run wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Halsin has the sweetest lines about friendship and wanting to be part of your journey at the end of act 2.

I would love for him to have more of his own stories to develop. But I think just adding the option to play with him earlier and with some reactions at key moments in act 1 would be really cool.

Reaction in Hag fight, Forge to free prisoners, Myconids to help them, Githyanki when you talk to vlaakith.

During Act 1 he keeps reminding you about his goal, which is to save the Shadow Cursed Lands, like Laezel does all the time to go to the Gith camp.

(I'm sorry if there are a lot of spelling mistakes in English, it's not my native language.)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by saeran
I'd simply like for Halsin to join the party earlier, since he does already in act two. And for Larian to keep his characterization more consistent with how he is in act one.
This!

veteran
veteran
I think the way to handle Halsin is to have more actual Druid stuff for him to do. Act 1 and the first leg of Act II is where we spend the most time in the wilderness, so it's weird that our Druids don't hop on board until basically Act III when we're in the urban environment and where things feel decidedly less Druid-y. It works much better for Jaheira because she has the Harper angle and the home town advantage.

If Halsin dies in the Shadownlands it feels so anticlimactic given everything that goes down and how much time it takes just to even get to that point. Wouldn't it be more interesting if he came back as Dark Halsin or whatever? Maybe that works, I don't know, I mean the entire shadowlands set up frames it pretty well. Then we could have a Shadowdruid and Halsin would instantly become way more interesting to me.

He even says at one point how "maybe Kagha was right." Failing to lift the curse on the Shadowlands might have ramifications beyond just "hmmm guess he's dead now? bummer."

He's built up at the Grove into this larger than life figure and he talks a big game, but get out in the field and it's frustrating that he just basically hibernates for the whole section of the campaign where we'd probably want to have a Druid in the mix.

If that's too boring, bring back some version of the helm of opposite alignment from BG1 and tie it an item? Or leaving that idea aside, maybe try something totally different, but also recalling BG2 (though updated for a more present day sensibility...)

Halsin might also become some sort of Tiresias type figure, if they included something that recalls the Girdle from BG1, the one that you could nab off that first ogre on the way to the friendly arm inn, but presented with a bit more tact. They do that already with the Guardian, but they could give Halsin that angle maybe to make them more interesting. They had nocturne, but kinda hidden in Shadowheart's quest. Games tend to suck at the two spirit thing, but basically bringing Kagha and Halsin into a single character, and folding that into the shadow druid sub plot would be pretty on theme for the Druidic lore.

Basically Chauntea and Silvanus in the same character, with the shape change keying off things like player inputs? That would satisfy some of the romance issues maybe or stuff mentioned elsewhere, but just making him into like pure projection, whatever the PC is after. Halsin could basically take over from the dream guardian, but as a shapechanger. Perhaps with changing attitudes on all sorts of stuff, keying off what the player wants most, conveyed to the game through dialogue options. I don't know why he should be the most controversial, or any more or less controversial than any other character, but if that's the case, then one potential blueprint might be to make the Arch Druid of the Emerald Grove into like the main romance of the game, if one elects to explore it. They got all that stuff with the Zethino at the circus, that could play into the set up for it, also since we have Lucretius there too to kinda seal the deal. It would be a cool metaphor about what constitutes nature too. Letting it just be normal and natural without making that stuff all charged. Perhaps Halsin is not the right character for this, but I imagine they could do something that isn't the point of it, but just one of a series of potential and equally viable options.

Effectively taking the papa bear trope and transforming it into something a bit more meaningful. Like some kind of lesson about know what you want. If Halsin is the game's libido, maybe broaden that concept so that the player can get out of it whatever they want to put into it, comfortable in their own hide as it were.

I think they should do something to differentiate him from Jaheira in the party comp too. Having 2 Half-Elf/Elf druids that are so similar is kinda strange.

We know Jaheira got to experience true love with Khalid, or maybe Charname depending on one's memories of BG2. BG3 did a pretty good job of making up for Anomen in BG2. Pretty much all the romantic tropes are already covered, except for the one they teased with Daisy and the Dream Guardian, but maybe Halsin could work an angle more like that? Since we lose the dream guardian at that point, but maybe the Arch Druid could maybe indulge a similar fantasy. Sorta like I can be whatever you want me to be, and then just let the player run with that wherever it goes.

The fact that Halsin doesn't have a tadpole would make it more meaningful, since he can't read our minds. That's why the player has to tell the game what they want via the dialogue. Maybe Elf with guns was just a form he adopted at some point that suited the dynamic at the grove, but he could just as easily become a Dwarf or Dragonborn, and Adonis or a Moon Nymph, whatever sort of stuff the player vibes on. Maybe that mask we get in the chest at the very start of the game has additional uses. Instead of the Bear that did the hype shock stuff before release, he could become something more abstract like this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotes

&

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peitho

&

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiresias

The last fits particularly well, because there is already a nekyia interlude in the shadowlands with the portal business.

Somehow I doubt we get anything quite so elaborate, but basically using this character for the same sort anima/animus projection thing that happens during character creation, except here instead of using it as a foil, it could just be a nice side piece that lives in the game without necessitating main plot support to justify its existence. I think it could be adaptive, since they could do stuff with voice as well. Canon appearance/attitude would be the default, but then it could just riff from there to teach us whatever we want to know regarding the birds and the bees. Romancing the stone but instead of Pygmalion it's done up more realm's style. Like Maybe with some stuff about Elminster, since he's an analog in this setting? Not sure, I but nature could probably find a way to make it compelling.

The central idea being that our character, who is meant to represent nature in the abstract, just kinda affirms what we're about on that score, like maybe from a dozen thematic options, and makes it all normal so we know the oak father and magna mater are chill. Rather than roulette or gamifying stuff overmuch into a challenge or puzzle, it just becomes an allegory for being chill and accepting. I honestly don't know how to pull it off with tact. But I feel like if you somehow put the performers who acted out the Dream Guardians and the performers who did Halsin and Kagha in a room together with this in mind, they might be able to come up with something better than I could just rambling off the cuff, but at least it's an idea. I type too much probably, but just seemed like a cool angle. I'm also way more forgiving off idiosyncrasies in the main plot, when at least the characters are expressing something beautiful or wise or clever in the margins. Like it kinda makes up for other stuff when they hit stride there, so maybe that could work.

Or just a more prosaic option where we get some romance-agnostic Arch Druid stuff too, the same way a few other characters get their follow up quests in Act III regardless of whether you're partnered up. But even if we don't get any of that, and nothing changes, which is also perhaps pretty likely, just to get Halsin in the party sooner. That'd be a win I think

Last edited by Black_Elk; 07/02/24 06:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard