Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
As of Update #6 shadows are disgustingly pixelated across all NPCs.

Here is just one example with Zevlor, but this is happening with every NPC obviously;

old hand
old hand
Do you have a before and after so that we can compare/contrast? Thanks for the bug reporting, I always find it very interesting!

Last edited by Ecc2ca; 16/02/24 07:47 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Unfortunately I do not have a direct comparison, but this definitely was not an issue before Update #6 because my eyes caught this issue immediately today as I was talking to Lae'zel on the Nautiloid. Even in that dim lighting it was quite distracting to see it on my character's face.

And this is how disgustingly ugly the shadows look in actual sunlight;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

old hand
old hand
Oooooo no, yeah, that doesn’t look great. I know how important aesthetics are to you, so I’m sorry about that. Hopefully they figure out what the problem is.

addict
addict
Have you tried different graphics settings? I recall having to change them after an earlier patch/hotfix.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Naturally, even switched to Vulkan to test this.

It's not tied to settings, Larian simply botched something with shadows this update because they're pixelating like crazy.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
No joke these shadows are giving me flashbacks of 2002 volumetric shadows from Star Wars: Jedi Knight II;

[Linked Image from assetsio.reedpopcdn.com]
Just what the tsk'va is this shadow quality since Update #6 wyllcry

Xar Offline
stranger
stranger
I just wanted to report that I have the exact same bug as well, and in a discord server I found two moe people, but other than that there doesn't seem to be many of us.

I also tried everything I could think of, first thing was obviously turning my game completely vanilla, all settings, resolutions, driver updates, vulkan/dx11 - it just still persists, it's so disheartening galeworried

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

And a comparison between the patch 5 and 6

H
stranger
stranger
H
The same thing happened to me before when I was transferring some models I had prepared in Blender to the game engine and I forgot to shade smooth the models. biggrin

Edit: I entered the game to test Patch 6, I have the same bug. I don't want to think that thousands of people are playing the game like it is so normal. I hope they fix it as soon as possible, the game is absolutely unplayable like this at least for me.

Last edited by helele123; 17/02/24 10:38 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
2 hotfixes dropped recently but this is still not fixed laezeldisapprove

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I wouldn't say this is an essential issue that needs immediate fixing, despite how ugly as tsk'va it is to look at grin

There are far more important issues currently with Update #6 that need immediate addressing. Gamebreaking progress blockers, performance issues and loss of QOL functionality in a ton of UI aspects. The new camp chest UI for example is so freaking ugly that I don't even want to interact with it anymore... and that's coming from a filthy loot hoarder that loots absolutely everything in the game and loved inventory management until now.

Not to mention the broken sorting, loss of contextual menu for equipped items and so on. So many issues.

Link Copied to Clipboard