Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
As of Update #6, Minthara immediately upon recruitment is dropping major spoilers from ACT 3 about events that haven't even remotely happened yet.

This seems to be her newly added reactionary dialogue about a certain reveal in ACT 3, but naturally it should not be happening before the player actually gets to ACT III.

old hand
old hand
Bumping this because it needs more attention. Apparently a lot of her reactive dialogue is replaced by comments about the Emperor. So this is quite an egregious bug that needs to be addressed.

Please fix this, Larian. Why does Minthara always, without fail, get a new bug after every major update? This one is so annoying and spoils the reveal for a lot of new players. I truly can't fathom how this went under the team's radar.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You are correct in that Rendemption.

When I made the guide on how to recruit Minthara in Update #5 it took me by surprise to see just how many players interested in recruiting her were completely new to the game and barely even got past the Grove not even knowing that knockout exists in the game. So yeah, unfortunately everyone new who tries to recruit her now will immediately get spoiled about who the Guardian and the Absolute are, along with the fact that a *certain Gith* is alive.

Personally I'm more angry about the fact that this bug ruined Minthara as a character entirely with Update #6 since it's overriding all her comments throughout the game and I doubt there's going to be a hotfix for this mess, because unlike Astarion who gets 3000000 threads per minute for every damn thing in existence, Minthara is constantly overlooked and barely acted upon with legitimate feedback being provided. So it's probably going to be a whole month of this, or whenever Update #7 comes out (assuming it even bothers to fix this).

It took me literally 5 minutes from starting a new game and getting to Moonrise in order to test Minthara entirely once the update dropped (via Sorceress bunny hop), so I'm quite annoyed that a character crippling issue like this manages to happen to a character that's already broken as hell and has been ever since release.

It's unacceptable to me that Minthara for 7 months now still isn't functioning properly, still doesn't have her content optimized at all nor has all her content available to the player.

D
stranger
stranger
D
True , honestly i find Astarion a fine charcater but seems overrated somehow by the community. I mean my first playtrought was an origin Astarion one xD. But since then i never had him in my party again. Will go for the next run on Durge , Astarion fits there.
Others are much more neglected so to speak which does somehow frustrates me since i was force to completly overlook Minthara in my current run cuz of dialogues , can't play like that , it ruins her character.

apprentice
apprentice
While I had the game purchased all the way from the beginning of Early Access to support Larian, I specifically postponed playing it until after Patch #5 in the hopes that I can have as polished an experience as possible.

Why did I wait so long? Because for me BG3 is one of those games, like Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 3 and Elden Ring. Truly memorable and genre defining experiences that remain as fond memories of what makes gaming such a beloved pastime for us.

For my part, I have only just transitioned to Act “1.5” and while I can live with laggy vendor interfaces and broken item sorting, I refuse to continue playing while there is a risk of being gratuitously spoiled like this.

To my mind, this sort of bug should be patched as soon as possible because it completely ruins the experience for first time players such as myself.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
I put my Karlach playthrough on hold for months due to the bug, which I reported to Larian long ago, that Minhtara could not be talked to after Karlach killed more than two dozen guards to recruit her. Patch #6 fixed the issue, even though I didn't see this fix get mentioned in the release note.

The first line that Minthara said to Karlach after months of silence was the reveal of the precise connection between the guardian, the elder brain, and the prince.

What a surprise! However, I dismissed the line as an inappropriate reveal or a bug. I thought she was supposed to be an insider, knowing much more about the truth than the player has been able to by this stage of the game. It's no surprise that she is able to have learned of each major party's true identity as well as their connection. I checked the quest log. The prince has been mentioned in the log already. Minthara also mentions that she once even fought alongside with the General. Definitely, she knows a lot more at the time.

I agree that this line may be better reserved for the early part of Act 3, as it feels like out of nowhere in the middle of Act 2. However, I don't think it spoils a new player or any player if they can learn more about the truth from an insider companion.

After this line, Minthara further reveals her knowledge about all the existing companions (except for dead Halsin and the main character Karlach herself). And it's nice to hear her talking about them.

She has implicitly answered my long-time personal question, why Karlach, being an upbeat good girl, can and should work with a crazy fanatic Minthara for the rest of the game. And her implicit answer is satisfying to me.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
There is nothing to agree or disagree on here, it's simply a bug and an unintended massive spoiler for the main story and its three characters that are not intended to be revealed yet.

She previously had no comment whatsoever when the party comes back to camp after the astral prism reveal, just before entering ACT III. That's what this line is intended for, however its addition entirely broke her character to the point it replaced all her other comments about other situations;

• Recruit her for the first time? Says this line.
  • Karlach gets her engine fixed? Repeats this line.
  • Shadowheart makes her choice in the Shadowfell? Repeats this line.
  • Doom Last Light Inn? Repeats this line.
  • You leave the Shadowfell? Repeats this line.
  • Final boss in ACT II is dead? Repeats this line.
  • She becomes your love interest? Repeats this line.
  • And so on to infinity and beyond.

apprentice
apprentice
While I do agree with Henry's point that Minthara should know a lot more details about the antagonists from her position within their inner circle, the delivery of this information to the player in a spoilery fashion is clearly an unintended bug, as made evident by the triggering conditions presented by Crimsomrid above.

I was hoping that this issue would have been addressed in Hotfix #19, but any fix is a good fix I guess, and Salo did confirm that the team are also aware of and working on this particular bug as well.

Here’s hoping for Hotfix #20 to finally have this critical issue solved!

Link Copied to Clipboard