Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#939862 16/03/24 08:21 AM
geala Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm not sure where to put this question,I do it here as it is a kind of lore stuff for me. I'm playing a modded game, in which besides other things enemies get stronger, from stats to abilities. So far, so good, but in the Z'rell fight at the end of Act 2 currently I noticed that she has some high tier Illithid powers. Which makes it very difficult (to put it mildly) to win the fight on the main floor of the Towers.

I never liked the idea of the Illithid powers and deeply regret their introduction into the game. I don't use them except some lower tiers on Astarion because he seems to me to be the only one who would want them. When considering what to do (change the mod, increase party size, use cheesy metagame tactics, ...) first I wonder how probable it was that other true souls outside the party would have Illithid powers. I was of the impression that it is some special feature for Tav and companions, allowed by the collaboration with the Emperor and the availabilty of many surplus tadpoles. On the other hand it would greatly improve the power of the Absolute's army if it's warriors had access to op Illithid stuff.

So, does it fit from the lore (if we accept the sad existence of these powers), the mechanics of the powers, the will of the three stone bearers, the brain, the availability of tadpoles etc., that some medium to high ranked enemies got such powers, making them partly stronger than vanilla Ketheric/Gortash/Orin combined?

A
old hand
old hand
A
I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. But within the story, the Absolute grants special powers to its True Souls. When asked to demonstrate her powers, Z'rell instant-kills the ogre lady before the tower entrance because "severing the strand of life" has been her gift from the Absolute, the gnome in the kitchen also has been given special mind control powers which she uses to influence the gnolls. When you save Minthara, she also comes with a head already full of worms at her disposal. So if the question was if tadpole powers for True Souls make sense, they absolutely (ha!) do.

geala Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Now I got the info that the Black Hole power Z'rell is using in the big fight at the end is even not from the mod, but is vanilla. Which makes my question moot. Strange, I never lost that fight before (or faced Black Hole), on any difficulty mode, and failed three times in a row with the mod installed (bringing my party wipes in total BG3 from 5 to 8), so I looked for an excuse seemingly. rolleyes

I managed to win the fight in the meantime without changing the mod or party limits or using cheese (like pre-positioning) while keeping Jaheira alive, so I should have kept my mouth shut and immediately tried harder. shadowheartsshh

Nevertheless, I don't like Illithid powers ...

veteran
veteran
I don't like the illithid powers either. I metagame that fight. Which came with a inspiration point!

Link Copied to Clipboard