Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Marielle
Originally Posted by Anska
Besides Ascended got the 5 patch kiss back. It's the ultimate evil ending kiss now. It even got a new camera angle.

Yeah, it's good, but they brought it back for some reason only in the evil ending, even though everyone wanted to see it in the regular epilogue. This surprises me, would it have been hard to put the same kiss in both epilogues? The scene is there, the technicality is realized in the other companions you can kiss in the epilogue, just do the same with Astarion and that's it. In order to kiss your beloved in the epilogue, you have to necessarily become an Absolute, it's ridiculous. Destroying Baldur in order to taste the kiss of patch 5 again, well, that's a pretty good motivation for evil, you can't help it, you want romance, you have to.

Personally, I like it this way. Once you have taken control of the brain, you are his equal again, so you can kiss as equals once more (Well, technically the player character holds the stronger leash, but both characters have given their autonomy to the other at one point if the pc went through the last-night-alive.) My interpretation of course.

Originally Posted by SpookyBookey
Please see above comments from other users here. There are individuals who wants noncon. I go out of my way to avoid noncon (including Harleep). I have no issue if folks enjoy that (I will not yuck someone’s yum), but I do not want that in my character’s romance path especially since I’ve been playing since release before patch 6 opened this can of worms.

You didn't understand me. FOR ME, these kind of kisses, when
AA bites, chokes and puts Tav on their knees are already non-con/dub-con,
because he has never discussed with Tav if they are okay with such rough treatment.
My interpretation doesn't change because Tav is happy now. It's not about Tav expressions, it's about AA doing such things without asking their partner about them first.
Now I've never said that other people can't read it very differently.
I was always only speaking about how they look to me. And I like them only when my Tav thinks just like I think and when for my Tav such treatment is scary.

And since AA canonically will refuse to break up with Tav after tadpoles are gone, I said that I have the right to have such interpretation. Canon never contradicts my interpretation, it's just as valid as yours.
Especially after what Neil and Larian writers said about AA.

Originally Posted by Not a cat
Originally Posted by Rote90
So my reading is completely valid and based on AA's possible canon. This exists in the game for a reason.

It is already in canon.

Dear Rote90, in case you missed my earlier, concise message, I kindly implored us all to stop taking our head-canons and interpretations as canon. It's best when it's presented as 'my opinion'. I strongly believe, we should stick to that and appeal to common sense. Ignoring this is highly detrimental to any discussion. Thank you, Rote90.

I agree with this.

Can we please stop with the "mine is the REAL author approved CANON and yours is just HC" accusations.

It feels belittling.

Originally Posted by Natasy
So my reading is completely valid and based on AA's possible canon. This exists in the game for a reason.

It is already in canon.

Dear Rote90, in case you missed my earlier, concise message, I kindly implored us all to stop taking our head-canons and interpretations as canon. It's best when it's presented as 'my opinion'. I strongly believe, we should stick to that and appeal to common sense. Ignoring this is highly detrimental to any discussion. Thank you, Rote90.

I agree with this.

Can we please stop with the "mine is the REAL author approved CANON and yours is just HC" accusations.

It feels belittling.

Can you please read my response before accusing me of this?
The only thing I really called "Canon" is an objective fact from the game.

?
journeyman
journeyman
?
I'm not sure who "individuals who want noncon" is referring to. That's not what I'm calling for and I didn't see anyone else saying they wanted that. My personal opinion is that this route ALREADY contains noncon, ever since Larian added these rough kisses in patch 6 without proper warning for players. I didn't like that in the first place, but I wasn't on these forums back then to say anything. Now the harsh kisses are already here, and Larian has already spent development time adding them and then changing facial expressions. So it's too late to speak against these harsh kisses existing. And I'm not even calling for that. Because some players like the new kisses. And I want those players to be happy too. I don't want to take away what they like. As for me personally, the old expressions didn't trigger me even though I didn't like the kisses. For whatever reason, the new expressions DO trigger me. And that is valid. I've had an extremely difficult past few days after seeing them and only just BEGINNING to get back to normal. I hope that Larian will care about this unintended effect and compromise, because it's clear they weren't trying to make anyone unhappy. I should be able to kiss my romance choice too.

Discussion of mental health and triggers in relation to this topic.
Edit: Actually, after reading what Rote90 said. I understand now. The old kiss expressions didn't trigger because I don't want rough treatment from my partner. So at least when my character looks upset about it, that matches how I feel about it. When my character is forced to look like they LIKE this treatment, it disturbs and upsets me. It feels like I have no choice. Hence, non-con is being forced upon me as the player. Ugh. That's definitely it because I was doing well today but this realization instantly brought tears to my eyes again. This is the literal opposite of asking for there to be noncon in the game. I am upset because I feel like I am being forced into something nonconsensual, when all I want to do is kiss my partner. And being made to look like I like it when I don't, is far worse for me than looking unhappy about it. It is a double loss of my agency.

Last edited by 🌸Yume🌸; 12/09/24 06:25 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by SpookyBookey
Okay so then should all companions have happy - neutral - frightened facial expressions for their kisses to not limit roleplay, or does only Ascended Astarion get this treatment? I would also like to see it unascended Astarion get them as well. This would prevent any narrative being forced on players for any romantic path they chose.

Do you see all the forum posts asking for this? No? Then clearly this is a non issue or people would be bringing it up.

Edit: And for anyone trying to use the “more time on AA argument”. These aren’t new kisses. These are old kisses. The amount of effort needed to offer a flag based animations for something that already exists and was in the game is SIGNIFICANTLY less than making more kisses or changing expressions.

Last edited by Yharmeru; 12/09/24 06:15 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

It is already in canon.

Respectfully, why does it matter to you what someone else believes is canon?

Last edited by Yharmeru; 12/09/24 06:23 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
That is fairly simple to answer: If you say "this is canon" you say "this is real", Astarion being a vampire is canon. If there are two lines of interpretation that are contradicting, saying one is canon not so subtly implies that the other is wrong, leading us back to the "I am right and you are not" front.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I don't mind Astarion biting me in the wrist and neck either, but the fact that he's “disregarding the wish for him to be gentle” is completely inconsistent with his character and the game's scenario and takes it into the realm of fanfic. It's a substitution of concepts. If we're talking about branching out, in the case of “tenderly” there should be classic romantic kissing.

like i said, this is not the correct dialogue tree to include the flag. because the two options of gentle or not can be interpreted differently, like you just demonstrated. if you think gentle includes biting twice, okay, i do not, and that is also okay.

But, if something like this appears in the game, other players may file a complaint with the ESRB about the game's lack of compliance with its rating. And Larian would have to either change the rating or remove it again. I'm sure the studio is aware of this, especially since a certain number of players wrote complaints to Steam after patch 6 because of these scenes. But since it was a bug, Larian just fixed it.

actually no idea what youre talking about. please enlighten me because i am not sure what bug you mean.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
you are free to disagree with me / us on having both expressions in the game. but your opinion doesnt change the fact that a big group of people is alienated no matter what which ONE patch is kept. like i said, his actions can be interpreted in various different ways. why are people here getting dragged for interpreting them differently? when you dont let astarion ascend he is also grateful. i dont understand what that has to do with what the right choice is or not. thats your interpretation and you own game canon, since you cant have both. so in your game ascending astarion is correct, thats all. AA is no more game canon than UA and no more right or wrong. so making one reaction to AA kisses canon for everyone, especially since they are both no subtle in any way, is wrong. even more especially since both expressions trigger different people for different reasons. and no, mods do not fix this. you should not have to resort to mods to not be triggered. it is an 18+ game, so difficult topics can be in the game, and the player is responsible for engaging with the content in whatever way they see fit. if you dont want to do the harleep scene because it is triggering, dont. you have the option. so having the option with AA should also be there.

literally nobody is trying to take smiling kisses away from you. i dont understand whats so hard to understand about this. but you cannot argue that some faces are triggering when people literally tell you they are. nobody is arguing that patch 6 faces arent triggering, because people said they were. same with patch 7. one is not more valid than the other. we want both options since they are both already completed and were / are in the game. i dont understand how you cannot see the hypocrisy here. if you want to use one option over the other, use it. but give other players the same choice.

the fact that other companions dont have this option is a problem, but a different problem. (not for me personally, i dont see why wyll would need different reactions from tav)
and using this card is strawmanning to a huge degree just to justify not making changes now that one group is happy when both could be. it does not compute in my brain how you can clearly see how upsetting it is for people and not want to help them enjoy the game. i can see how patch 6 triggers people, so i am all for patch 7 being *ADDED*. but its the same the other way around as well. what is so difficult to understand about this? do you want people to not romance AA as to not get triggered just so you can have what you want? this goes both ways hence the suggestion to have both in the game, making both canon to the respective game of the individual player.

edit to add: i really honestly thought by showing both sides in a neutral light in my long post before, there could be SOME understanding between the two. patch 7 supporters want patch 7, patch 6 supporters dont want to take that away. they just want patch 6 as well. i dont understand, this is literally so beyond me, how does having the option for BOTH take away anything from anyone?

Last edited by BlueScaliesxx98; 12/09/24 06:40 PM.
This game do has non-con scenes in it:

Haarlep
Narrator says he influences your character's mind with magic, he also uses Tav's body non-consensually afterwards. Also, this scene do contain Tav's scared faces.

Embrace-Durge:
They can force their love-interest to kiss them through tadpole. While killing them in the process.

So everything will be the same with the game's rating after giving an option to choose scared faces. No one is complaing about that option in the E!Durge evil ending.

Thank you, Anska. You said it much better than me! We're all just operating off of our own interpretation of the text. Tone, meaning, body language, motivation, are things that are interpretation when it comes to text and static/written characters.

"It's fine if you want to headcanon that but what I think is canon" isn't helpful in discussion. It's akin to, "you can make believe whatever you want, but it's wrong. Only my read is legitimate." We're all just here sharing our interpretation! smile

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay folks, I'm seeing people on all sides of this argument complaining that others are saying that their view is the only correct or ethical one (and they're right that this is not helpful or constructive) whilst at the same time implying that their own view is the only correct or ethical one (which is not helpful or constructive). But I'd also ask that we recognise that of course people arguing for a point are likely to think it's better supported by the evidence, and arguing that in and of itself is not disrespectful of other opinions, as long as we don't try to shout those other opinions down by repetitive posting, belittle or mock others for having different views, or try to imply that others don't have the right to hold or express different preferences.

I would encourage everyone to take a step back and, while we all know it's easier to recognise problematic behaviour in those with whom we disagree than those with whom we agree, try to rise above factionalism and accept that there have been posts here from all sides that haven't helped the cause of constructive, friendly debate and do what they can to foster a more positive and less adversarial environment.

And to accept that it is both inevitable and absolutely fine that no matter how much we talk we will end up still disagreeing, and in the end we just need to recognise when we have made our points and stop going round in circles.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Thank you, Anska. We're all just operating off of our own interpretation of the text. Tone, meaning, body language, motivation, are things that are interpretation when it comes to text and static/written characters.

i also agree with that sentiment, i dont think i gave off the impression that i didnt. but since there are many ways to interpret the situations, which are canon in some games and not in others - what i mean is: the way you play and the choices you make, those become canon for your own game. like i said, there is no story-canon per se, so its all your decision combined that make that canon. - why can we not agree on having both options for tav? only the option you choose will be canon for your game. there is no need to play a narrative you dont like.

this is what i dont understand. in the end it is up to larian anyway, but if we agree between ourselves, it would make a convincing argument that larian might follow.
patch 7 expressions will be kept in the game no matter what, that is absolutely clear. but why cant we agree to have *additional* expressions with patch 6 (maybe less dramatic though)

edit: just to clarify, i am absolutely fine with patch 7, i might not like the overly enthusiastic expression but this is purely my view of the facial animation. i also think patch 6 was over the top just as much. i like that tav is smiling. but i also liked the distress on their face in patch 6. when i played my durge, it made sense for her to have that look. but there will be other characters that will fit patch 7 better. since when are we against having options? were we not all incredibly happy when options for different kisses were added? or when new options for classes or races were added?

Last edited by BlueScaliesxx98; 12/09/24 07:14 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
That is fairly simple to answer: If you say "this is canon" you say "this is real", Astarion being a vampire is canon. If there are two lines of interpretation that are contradicting, saying one is canon not so subtly implies that the other is wrong, leading us back to the "I am right and you are not" front.

Ok, but I do in fact think those who don’t see the abuse are wrong in their interpretation. So what? Why should it matter to them what I think? They aren't being forced to engage, they are choosing to despite knowing where I stand.

The only opinion I’m trying to change is Larian’s via my feedback and *ideally* the only thing I am interested in discussing is the best way to implement this change.

Last edited by Yharmeru; 12/09/24 07:36 PM.
Originally Posted by BlueScaliesxx98
i also agree with that sentiment, i dont think i gave off the impression that i didnt.

You didn't! I wasn't aiming my comment at anyone in particular. It's just a sentiment that I think hinders friendly and in-depth discussion in general. I'm not sure what else I'm allowed to say so I'll leave it there smile

Originally Posted by BlueScaliesxx98
but since there are many ways to interpret the situations, which are canon in some games and not in others - what i mean is: the way you play and the choices you make, those become canon for your own game. like i said, there is no story-canon per se, so its all your decision combined that make that canon. - why can we not agree on having both options for tav? only the option you choose will be canon for your game. there is no need to play a narrative you dont like.

I agree with most of this. Definitely! As for your question, as I've said since the beginning of all of this, my interest is in keeping non-con/dead dove things out of the game. There is no content warning for it. And players would have to metagame to avoid it. I do not see his kisses as him slapping or choking Tav. And I believe the faces for patch 7 accommodate for plenty of dark RP, as dark roleplayers themselves have also said.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Yharmeru

Ok, but I do in fact think those who don’t see the abuse are wrong in their interpretation. So what? Why should it matter to them what I think? They aren't being forced to engage, they are choosing to despite knowing where I stand.

The only opinion I’m trying to change is Larian’s via my feedback and *ideally* the only thing I am interested in discussing is the best way to implement this change.

Because it is a sensitive topic and, as you might have noticed, both sides (or at least some proponents of them) seem to feel somewhat threatened by such statements due to bad experiences. You can convey your sentiments to Larian just eloquently when voicing things as your opinion, preferably with giving reasons where you derived them from, instead of just framing them as canon. It's less offensive, conveys the same message and allows our dear Red Queen to maybe let the sceptre of moderation rest for an evening.

Last edited by Anska; 12/09/24 08:01 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Because it is a sensitive topic and, as you might have noticed, both sides (or at least some proponents of them) seem to feel somewhat threatened by such statements due to bad experiences on other platforms. You can convey your sentiments to Larian just eloquently when voicing things as your opinion, preferably with giving reasons where you derived them from, instead of just framing them as canon. It's less offensive, conveys the same message and allows our dear Red Queen to maybe let the sceptre of moderation rest for an evening.

Please do not bring beefs from other forums to this one. Red Queen has made that clear.

There is no content warning for it.
With this logic we can find a lot of "there is no content warning" stuff in this game.

There is no content warning for when Tav tries to break up with AA before the epilogue and he won't let them.
There is no content warning that AA will bite/choke/put on their knees Tav during the kiss.
There is no content warning for E!Durge that you will
force your romanced companion to kiss you through tadpole. Yes, you know through the option that you will kill them during the kiss, but this option doesn't clarify that you will force them to come and kiss you instead of doing it yourself.

This stuff is already in the game without warning. Now, maybe it's not a non-con/dead dove stuff for you personally, but it certainly is for a lot of people.
This game is 18+. So what matters is not to avoid all the possible cases when people might get triggered, but to give them an option (if they are triggered) to play it differently.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Rephrased it, but the general sentiment holds, you can try to keep the sensitivities of your fellow forum members in the back of your mind when writing things. I think that should answer your question well enough. (I didn't even see there had been another moderation note inbetween - oops. ^^ This thread is too busy.)

Last edited by Anska; 12/09/24 08:13 PM.
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard