Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Since patch 7 was released my game crashes on initial loading screen as it gets to 58% loaded.
I have tried validate and repair - didn't work
I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it still crashes at 58%.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on or how I can fix it?

L
stranger
stranger
L
estou com o mesmo problema...
já fiz isso tudo q vc fez porem o meu para no 100% não entra.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Same here. I almost tried everything to get the game started - but nothing works.
I never installed mods - so this cannot be the problem.
Two days ago - I downloaded the big #7 Patch at the same time - I could play BG3 without any problems. But after it finished downloading and I started the game it crashes at 58%.
I uninstalled BG3 and downloaded it- does not work. I changed from DirectX11 to Vulcan- does not work.
I deleted the LevelCache - does not work. Starting without the launcher - does not work.
I updated my graphic card driver - does not work. There was no change in my hardware. So...I am really confused and hope that someone can help us.

UPDATE:
I found a solution and the game finally starts again. But it has a price. So...to get it fixed delete the Baldurs Gate 3 folder in %LocalAppData%\Larian Studios (just copy that into your location bar in the Explorer and hit Enter). There you will see two folders. One of them is the Baldurs Gate 3 folder. Delete it. But attention - there are all the savegames in it. So...make a copy of them!!! I didn´t try to copy them back and will now start a complete new run. But it´s ok for me because all my characters have been low level. wink
I found the solution here:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=677629#Post677629

Last edited by Rhazeem; 18/09/24 09:21 PM.
It can be an indication of some sense of corruption if your crash comes guaranteed at certain percentage every single time, likeif you knwo you crash right at 58% more than ten times in a row.

When you uninstalled BG 3, did you make sure it was a clean reinstallation, like no traces left behidn from previous installment of BG 3?

Because I have no issues using BG 3 on Steam, I hope it got nothing to do with system or graphics card files that click wrong.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I only checked the main folder....not the LocalAppData. And there must have been the bug or corrupt file. I don´t know.
But it works again now...and that´s all that counts. Thank god I didn´t spend too much time in the game. So the loss of my savegames is not a disaster. wink

R
stranger
stranger
R
Okay...new Update: it still does not work. When I delete the folder I can start a new game without any problems. Create a character and get into the game. Then - when I save the game, close it and start it again.... always the same crash at 58%. It must have something to do with the Baldurs Gate folder in the AppData folder....thats my opinion. But I can not locate the reason for the crashes.
Very sad....I really want to play the game and it worked for a long time without any problems ... but this problem really sucks (sorry).

I dont know if it is important: I bought the game at GOG.

R
stranger
stranger
R
@Rhazeem - I have exactly the same issue after Patch 7 and the subsequent hotfix. Also GoG, and also no mods (I've never installed any mods). I went through almost exactly the same troubleshooting steps that you did, and "thought" I had figured it out when I installed the new BG3 Toolkit via GoG and it then let me start the game, but I'm guessing it just cleared out relevant local files because even though I could start a new game, it now fails again when I try to load back in.

By any chance are you also running Honour Mode on your new save that is crashing?

I'm also wondering... and maybe this is a clue. After I installed the Toolkit and it let me in the first time, I had to set all of my keybinds again. I don't recall ever having to do that before when starting a new game. Also when I started the new game, I could see all my old save files... so "maybe" it isn't everything under that local Balders Gate 3 folder... maybe it is just one or a few of the config files. I'm going to see if I can't figure out which by deleting/renaming some and trying a bit more...

Edit: I think I figured it out: it is a problem with changed player profiles, and specifically custom keybinds.

Try renaming just this file: %LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\playerprofile8.lsf -> to playerprofile8BAK.lsf.
My game will consistently start after I do this. It just means we have to re-accept the license agreement and nudity setting, and optionally re-apply custom keybinds.

If I DON'T change keybinds, I can now restart as much as I like without problems. It is only when I change a keybind that the game crashes on load.

(My middle mouse button is combined into my scroll wheel, which is hard for me to use for Camera Rotate. I always remap it to a side button, X2.)

Hopefully this trick will work for you as well. It is still annoying, but way better than losing the save game!

Edit2: OK, so now I think it is more than just potentially that one file. I was fine at first with it. I was only changing the keybind after loading a save game.

I then changed the keybind BEFORE loading a save game, and exited straight out of the game. This caused the game to crash on load again, even after renaming the playerprofile8.lsf file.

Now I'm wondering if there is something else going on, maybe with service calls to GoG. Heck, I don't know. Frustrating.

Last edited by Reef Fathoms; 21/09/24 07:33 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
No, I'm not playing Honour Mode. I wrote a Ticket to Larian and they send me this link:

https://larian.com/support/faqs/crashing-upon-startup-pc_59

There are some things I didn't try. So...I'm gonna check this out in the next days.

R
stranger
stranger
R
After a LOT of trying different things, what finally seems to work for me is using msconfig to prevent the Citrix AppProtection service from starting, then restart my laptop.

That's after a LOT of trying different things... so apparently there is a conflict.

Once I did this, I reverted just about everything else, so now I can start from the GoG launcher again, etc.

Good luck!

R
stranger
stranger
R
Citrix? Really?! I also have it installed...so I think I will try out soon, what happens if I deactivate the App Protection or maybe uninstall it completely.
I'll keep you updated. 😉

Edit:
Really, really thank you!!!! Citrix caused all the problems!
I finally uninstalled it and now I can start BG3 without any problems.
OK...I have to do less Homeoffice now or install it every time and uninstall it after work - but....hey, BG3 is finally running again!! 🥳
Man, I really owe you something for not giving up to find a solution! 🍻

Last edited by Rhazeem; 23/09/24 08:12 PM. Reason: It worked!

Link Copied to Clipboard