Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So ...
As title suggests, we still cant attack Astarion during our first encounter ... wich really piss me off.

But the important part is ... in final release, we should be able to start as Oath of Vengeance paladin (wich unless i read something wrong, is part of PHB) ... who will not be able to "purge" this CLEARLY Evil person from the land ...
Are we doomed to either play Oathbreaker, or forced to avoid situations where Larian refuses to allow us meaninfull reaction to what is happening? :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/12/22 02:33 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
One thing I'll say is that on first meeting, Astarion isn't so clearly evil. He's an ass, but he also just escaped from mindflayers, who clearly had people mind-controlled, as could be seen on their ship. I agree that we should be able to attack him on first meeting, but I don't think that as a Vengeance paladin we'd be obligated to kill him. Also thetenants of the Oath of Vengence explicitly say that "ordinary foes might win my mercy," and clearly differentiates between greater and lesser evils. At this point, the worst we can say about Astarion is that he's maybe a liar and definitely a suspicious asshole. And I'm speaking as someone who litereally just ran into that scene an hour or two ago, so it's very clear in my mind.

"When evil forces slaughter helpless villagers, when an entire people turns against the will of the gods. when a thieves' guild grows toa violent and powerful, when a dragon rampages through the countryside-at times like these, paladins arise and swear an Oath of Vengeance to set right that which has gone wrong."

That all sounds like a cut above "an asshole who attacked me at knifepoint." So I don't think we're in danger of becoming oathbreakers because we don't kill him.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
One thing I'll say is that on first meeting, Astarion isn't so clearly evil. He's an ass, but he also just escaped from mindflayers, who clearly had people mind-controlled, as could be seen on their ship. I agree that we should be able to attack him on first meeting, but I don't think that as a Vengeance paladin we'd be obligated to kill him. Also thetenants of the Oath of Vengence explicitly say that "ordinary foes might win my mercy," and clearly differentiates between greater and lesser evils. At this point, the worst we can say about Astarion is that he's maybe a liar and definitely a suspicious asshole. And I'm speaking as someone who litereally just ran into that scene an hour or two ago, so it's very clear in my mind.

"When evil forces slaughter helpless villagers, when an entire people turns against the will of the gods. when a thieves' guild grows toa violent and powerful, when a dragon rampages through the countryside-at times like these, paladins arise and swear an Oath of Vengeance to set right that which has gone wrong."

That all sounds like a cut above "an asshole who attacked me at knifepoint." So I don't think we're in danger of becoming oathbreakers because we don't kill him.

+1

That being said, if he can be attacked on first meeting, we should be able to attack all companions on first meeting. I'm not using this as a counter argument, just in case it's not clear. I'm advocating for more choices during those encounters (even if I would never kill one of them on sight ^^).

Side-note : I also replayed that part last night. It's very obvious that he thinks we were colluding with the mindflayers. Understandable. We were walking freely on the ship. I mean, he was being a creep about it (does feel inline with him being a rogue, tbh), but he had reason. He probably didn't cherish the thought of being captured again 😅

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I don't think that as a Vengeance paladin we'd be obligated to kill him.
Now when you say it ... me neither.
I think that scene should (and would) work well enough if it would be the same as with Crusher ... just kick his butt well enough to show him his place.

It just frustrates me beyond reasons when NPCs are systematicly made invincible, and those assholes are using that to rub your face in it. -_-

//Edit:
At this point, the worst we can say about Astarion is that he's maybe a liar and definitely a suspicious asshole.
Quite soft and not really acurate description in my opinion ... we can disagree ofcourse.

But no matter what he just escaped, he is a person willing to attack, threaten and possibly kill completely random stranger ... that IS dangerous and quite Evil behaviour. O_o

I mean, i completely understand that every Paladin have their own measurement ...
But this is mine ... and what else can i say but:
"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!" laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/12/22 04:17 PM.

veteran
veteran
I agree with your sentiment. But also...who is Crusher?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Rly?

veteran
veteran
Rly?

addict
addict
Rag, unfortunetly I can't provide the original source of the information, but some people claimed that during London Comic Con Neil Newbon (Astarion VA) said that actually they have totally different scene of Astarion first meeting prepared for release.
So... relax, I suppose?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Rly?

Thanks, I haven't interacted with him very often at all, so I'd forgotten about him entirely.

And if that's true Zellin, that would be quite exciting. Also a little bit crazy on Larian's part, prepping entirely different scenes like that. I'm personally going to proceed as though what we see is what we get on release, but I am a touch hopeful.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
Rag, unfortunetly I can't provide the original source of the information, but some people claimed that during London Comic Con Neil Newbon (Astarion VA) said that actually they have totally different scene of Astarion first meeting prepared for release.
So... relax, I suppose?
Sounds promissing. :3
Thank you for sharing this!

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
That being said, if he can be attacked on first meeting, we should be able to attack all companions on first meeting. I'm not using this as a counter argument, just in case it's not clear. I'm advocating for more choices during those encounters (even if I would never kill one of them on sight ^^).

I just wanted to point out that we can already attack Gale when we first meet him, and all he does is appears. Astarian blatantly attacks us and puts a knife to our throat.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Nebuul
I just wanted to point out that we can already attack Gale when we first meet him, and all he does is appears.
Gale, Lae'zel, Shadowheart ... everyone can be attacked right from the dialogue ... Shadow even attack you and fight to the death, if you play Gith ...

This whole scene with Astarion seems like Larian inspected their numbers, find out that too many people killed Astarion right there on a spot ... and decided to not allow it ... wich is pure definition of lazy writing if you ask me. :-/

Link Copied to Clipboard